Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
But to answer some obvious questions:
- the gfc is the only product in the topper space with any sort of structural frame. Other aluminum toppers just rely on the incidental strength delivered by the skin.
- point of giant load capacity isn't that people need to carry 800 lbs on their roof to go camping. That strength translates to a product that will simply shrug off anything you throw at it. Something non engineered like the RSI will shit the bed if you try to carry any weight over washboard. The gfc will be as good as new 20 years from now, no matter what.
- load capacity will be useful for commercial drivers. The limit will be your truck, not the topper.
- billet parts are all machined in house by automated cnc machine tenders of GFC's own design. They include: bed mounts, nut plates at all joints to distribute load, cross bar supports, etc.
- all hardware is zinc coated steel to eliminate galvanic corrosion
- runs cooler than other toppers, even those with sliding windows. Can use latches to crack side panels for ton of airflow. Dogs are happy. I have three.
- t track on all sides is killer. Can mount awnings, lights, recovery gear, or anything else.
- gfc pays highest starting wages of any manufacturer in northern rockies. All jobs are full time with every benefit possible. Every component or material but the awful panel latches is usa sourced, and they're working on a fix for those.
Sponsored

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I helped out with this launch. What questions do you have?
How do the corners and doors seal?

What's the strength of the composite roof? (if I dropped a kayak between the rails will it survive)

What's the seal between the topper and bedrail?

PXL_20220929_225946498.MP.jpg

I'll have more questions tomorrow.. LOL

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
How do the corners and doors seal?

What's the strength of the composite roof? (if I dropped a kayak between the rails will it survive)

What's the seal between the topper and bedrail?

PXL_20220929_225946498.MP.jpg

I'll have more questions tomorrow.. LOL
- replaceable rubber weather strips
- ~500lbs. Two adults can safely walk around up there. It's also utterly impervious to hail and similar.
- rubber bulb seal

Note that even if the topper was hermetically sealed, your bed and tailgate are not. There's openings around the bed's front corners, through the holes along its side, and on both sides and underneath the tailgate. The Ranger in particular has like 1/4 inch gap on both sides of tailgate. Dust and water will get in through all that.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
- replaceable rubber weather strips
- ~500lbs. Two adults can safely walk around up there. It's also utterly impervious to hail and similar.
- rubber bulb seal

Note that even if the topper was hermetically sealed, your bed and tailgate are not. There's openings around the bed's front corners, through the holes along its side, and on both sides and underneath the tailgate. The Ranger in particular has like 1/4 inch gap on both sides of tailgate. Dust and water will get in through all that.
Thanks!

I've seen weatherproofing the tailgate on here somewhere.... Not sure of their success...

Does the front window fold in for cleaning?

The windows - Glass or acrylic?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I helped out with this launch. What questions do you have?
But to answer some obvious questions:
- the gfc is the only product in the topper space with any sort of structural frame. Other aluminum toppers just rely on the incidental strength delivered by the skin.
- point of giant load capacity isn't that people need to carry 800 lbs on their roof to go camping. That strength translates to a product that will simply shrug off anything you throw at it. Something non engineered like the RSI will shit the bed if you try to carry any weight over washboard. The gfc will be as good as new 20 years from now, no matter what.
- load capacity will be useful for commercial drivers. The limit will be your truck, not the topper.
- billet parts are all machined in house by automated cnc machine tenders of GFC's own design. They include: bed mounts, nut plates at all joints to distribute load, cross bar supports, etc.
- all hardware is zinc coated steel to eliminate galvanic corrosion
- runs cooler than other toppers, even those with sliding windows. Can use latches to crack side panels for ton of airflow. Dogs are happy. I have three.
- t track on all sides is killer. Can mount awnings, lights, recovery gear, or anything else.
- gfc pays highest starting wages of any manufacturer in northern rockies. All jobs are full time with every benefit possible. Every component or material but the awful panel latches is usa sourced, and they're working on a fix for those.
How much free product has GFC given you over the last 5 years?

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Thanks!

I've seen weatherproofing the tailgate on here somewhere.... Not sure of their success...

Does the front window fold in for cleaning?

The windows - Glass or acrylic?
- trying to seal your bed is chasing your tail. This is one big advantage slide in campers hold.
- front window is fixed
- windows are automotive glass. And you can Option without for security.
Sponsored