My new ARE topper installed today.. is this right?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Howdy folks. newbie here. we bought a new ARE topper and had dealer install today. now that its home im looking around and im a little surprised about a couple things. wanted the experienced folks' advice here.

1) is this seated correctly? from a glance, i would have guessed it should have sat about a centimeter further forward. the leading edge seems to sit just a tad to the rear of where i would have expected it to produce a clean line. not sure that matters much.

the rear seems to sit a tad further back than what would make a clean line. that one matters to me because at the corners it leaves more of a gap than i would like. it will be cludgy to seal these corners with rubber trim etc and while the rear center of the topper liftgate meets the top center of the tailgate, i suspect the topper liftgate would likely flex a little and allow a better fit across the entire top if the entire topper was a little forward, and would avoid those gaps at either side.

front.JPG
rear.JPG

2) i guess i was a little taken aback at the workmanship. we splurged on ARE because of almost universal reviews that it was a 'higher quality' topper. but this one looks like it was put together by a teenager that didnt care about his work. almost 50% of the screws holding the aluminum track that lines the side windows have bent the tracks (like they couldnt afford a driver with a clutch) and some are stripped, there are lots of scratches in the aluminum track on the inside where the black paint has been chipped or scratched off the track. and the C-clamps are bulky and are each about 4 inches away from another clamp site with a hole in the rail that makes it look like it was previously mounted on a different truck for a while.

this was new. to our specifications. is this normal? from what i can tell, none of these will ultimately affect the function of the topper, but its disappointing in a new pricey item, and i dont know if less than perfectionist workmanship suggests we are going to be struggling with leaks and failures further down the line.

cclamp.JPG
wtf.JPG

im interested in folks' experience here. especially as it will take me some time to seal the many gaps and holes, and doing that will make shifting it around a pain in the butt.
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy folks. newbie here. we bought a new ARE topper and had dealer install today. now that its home im looking around and im a little surprised about a couple things. wanted the experienced folks' advice here.

1) is this seated correctly? from a glance, i would have guessed it should have sat about a centimeter further forward. the leading edge seems to sit just a tad to the rear of where i would have expected it to produce a clean line. not sure that matters much.

the rear seems to sit a tad further back than what would make a clean line. that one matters to me because at the corners it leaves more of a gap than i would like. it will be cludgy to seal these corners with rubber trim etc and while the rear center of the topper liftgate meets the top center of the tailgate, i suspect the topper liftgate would likely flex a little and allow a better fit across the entire top if the entire topper was a little forward, and would avoid those gaps at either side.

front.JPG
rear.JPG

2) i guess i was a little taken aback at the workmanship. we splurged on ARE because of almost universal reviews that it was a 'higher quality' topper. but this one looks like it was put together by a teenager that didnt care about his work. almost 50% of the screws holding the aluminum track that lines the side windows have bent the tracks (like they couldnt afford a driver with a clutch) and some are stripped, there are lots of scratches in the aluminum track on the inside where the black paint has been chipped or scratched off the track. and the C-clamps are bulky and are each about 4 inches away from another clamp site with a hole in the rail that makes it look like it was previously mounted on a different truck for a while.

this was new. to our specifications. is this normal? from what i can tell, none of these will ultimately affect the function of the topper, but its disappointing in a new pricey item, and i dont know if less than perfectionist workmanship suggests we are going to be struggling with leaks and failures further down the line.

cclamp.JPG
wtf.JPG

im interested in folks' experience here. especially as it will take me some time to seal the many gaps and holes, and doing that will make shifting it around a pain in the butt.
If you are not happy, take it back and have it fixed or replaced. We spend too much money on our vehicles and upgrades to not be satisfied. If you have found workmanship issues, there should not be a problem with a warranty repair.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
If you are not happy, take it back and have it fixed or replaced. We spend too much money on our vehicles and upgrades to not be satisfied. If you have found workmanship issues, there should not be a problem with a warranty repair.
easier said than done... the dealer is almost four hours away. so if this is par for the course ill just deal with it. but if this is not typical, and/or moving the topper will improve its function it would be good to know!

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I think topper is off.

Find local dealer for that topper and ask for help. They should help with quality issue also. Talk to dealer, and tell them you will send bill. Take many pics. Remind them of distance and you do not have time unless they come and get truck and drop off loaner truck. Then they can fix.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Looks like it’s sitting too far back I’ve looked through the topper thread and non look like that.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I have had an ARE topper and it should be flush with the front of the bed (easy fix). As for the windows and trip call ARE if you are two from from the dealer. I won't ask why you accepted it like that. they have windows at the shops. Best of luck.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
It needs to move up. Certainly too far back. Also, watch the leaking. I have the same brand and it leaks at the front bulkhead. It's been sealed and reinstalled and still leaks.

pheidlauf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XL 4x4 STX
Occupation
Engineer
I would be pretty disappointed if I shelled out $2K+ on a topper and saw bent metal from over driven screws. That's pretty negligent on whoever assembled your windows.

Regardless, how long of a wait was it to get your shell delivered after ordering right now, given COVID?

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
My truck was the first to get a Z series topper installed in Dallas. I watched the entire installation. When they were done, the topper was not installed properly. It was too far back as you could plainly see and the front to back seam was angled. They said it was correctly installed... I told them to loosen the attachment points and slide it forward 1/4". Clunk, it fell in to the proper position, front to back now lines up. I asked them if there was anything else I could help them with. Your window issue is hopefully cosmetic only (no leaks) but it sure does show half assed QC...

Last edited:
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
yeah. i’m not here to throw stones. but basically some of your confusion about how i would let this happen is because both my wife and i use this account to post on ranger5g.

my wife got stuck taking it to the install at the dealer because i work every day and the closest dealer is too far away for me to go. it’s a bummer. she doesn’t really know what to look for unfortunately. not really did i until i got this thing back.

it sounds like the consensus is that my gut feeling that the topper is too far back is a real thing. plus i can see spots at the forward bulkhead corners where there is missing rubber between the bed rail and topper which is lame. and that example of the stripped bent rail is the worst one, but is replicated to some extent in 50% of the screws inside.

sounds like y’all agree it’s not normal so i’ll pursue it. wish it weren’t so complicated.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
My truck was the first to get a Z series topper installed in Dallas. I watched the entire installation. When they were done, the topper was not installed properly. It was too far back as you could plainly see and the front to back seam was angled. They said it was correctly installed... I told them to loosen the attachment points and slide it forward 1/4". Clunk, it fell in to the proper position, front to back now lines up. I asked them if there was anything else I could help them with. Your window issue is hopefully cosmetic only (no leaks) but it sure does show so half assed QC...
You watched the entire installation and then at the end told them it was off? ?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
yeah. i’m not here to throw stones. but basically some of your confusion about how i would let this happen is because both my wife and i use this account to post on ranger5g.

my wife got stuck taking it to the install at the dealer because i work every day and the closest dealer is too far away for me to go. it’s a bummer. she doesn’t really know what to look for unfortunately. not really did i until i got this thing back.

it sounds like the consensus is that my gut feeling that the topper is too far back is a real thing. plus i can see spots at the forward bulkhead corners where there is missing rubber between the bed rail and topper which is lame. and that example of the stripped bent rail is the worst one, but is replicated to some extent in 50% of the screws inside.

sounds like y’all agree it’s not normal so i’ll pursue it. wish it weren’t so complicated.
Sucks that dealers are so unscrupulous, they had to know this was wrong. Best of luck.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer

Might be worth driving back and having a coaching moment with dealership owner. I would take him on a tour of the install!

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
to those still confused:

my wife drove four hours to the nearest dealer to get the topper installed. she is not "mechanically inclined". i am not able to take time off of work, which would have been ideal, but honestly it did not occur to me that this would happen with a new product at a dealer.

she drove four hours back, thinking everything was great, and when i checked out the topper in the evening i was disappointed and started this thread.

yeah, it sucks.
no, i did not watch them install it and drive home and then start whining...

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Regardless, how long of a wait was it to get your shell delivered after ordering right now, given COVID?
it was about a six week wait. seemed pretty reasonable to me.
but now in retrospect...
Sponsored