My new ARE topper installed today.. is this right?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
i certainly appreciate your collective advice. update for folks who were interested:

the dealer hemmed and hawed and made a lot of excuses and claimed that everything was normal and there was 'no way' ARE was going to consider this out of spec, but i insisted they check and apparently ARE does consider this poor work. they are sending new windows for replacement and the dealer says they will adjust the cap and seal it again.

however after such a haphazard install and bad service we are tired of that dealer so found another one in a roadtrip worthy direction and will have them replace the windows and seal the cap. because currently it isnt sealed at all.

we'll see, but im feeling cautiously optimistic. thanks again, everyone.
Best of luck, Hope it works out for you.
Sponsored

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
Howdy folks. newbie here. we bought a new ARE topper and had dealer install today. now that its home im looking around and im a little surprised about a couple things. wanted the experienced folks' advice here.

1) is this seated correctly? from a glance, i would have guessed it should have sat about a centimeter further forward. the leading edge seems to sit just a tad to the rear of where i would have expected it to produce a clean line. not sure that matters much.

the rear seems to sit a tad further back than what would make a clean line. that one matters to me because at the corners it leaves more of a gap than i would like. it will be cludgy to seal these corners with rubber trim etc and while the rear center of the topper liftgate meets the top center of the tailgate, i suspect the topper liftgate would likely flex a little and allow a better fit across the entire top if the entire topper was a little forward, and would avoid those gaps at either side.

front.JPG
rear.JPG

2) i guess i was a little taken aback at the workmanship. we splurged on ARE because of almost universal reviews that it was a 'higher quality' topper. but this one looks like it was put together by a teenager that didnt care about his work. almost 50% of the screws holding the aluminum track that lines the side windows have bent the tracks (like they couldnt afford a driver with a clutch) and some are stripped, there are lots of scratches in the aluminum track on the inside where the black paint has been chipped or scratched off the track. and the C-clamps are bulky and are each about 4 inches away from another clamp site with a hole in the rail that makes it look like it was previously mounted on a different truck for a while.

this was new. to our specifications. is this normal? from what i can tell, none of these will ultimately affect the function of the topper, but its disappointing in a new pricey item, and i dont know if less than perfectionist workmanship suggests we are going to be struggling with leaks and failures further down the line.

cclamp.JPG
wtf.JPG

im interested in folks' experience here. especially as it will take me some time to seal the many gaps and holes, and doing that will make shifting it around a pain in the butt.
Not happy with mine. I would like to know if yours was cut to fit. Mine was cut on all four corners. There are other issues as well.

20200808_121739.jpg

20200808_121744.jpg

20200808_121753.jpg

20200808_121808.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I guess I’m not really sure what cut to fit means.

I’ll send some photos of the corners, kind of ugly but maybe this is par for the course. I don’t see any areas where there was any obvious aftermarket or install trimming but I wasn’t there for the initial install.

I did move it forward with the help of a couple friends and it fits much nicer, still not perfect thoughBut as good as it is going to get

Now that it sits at least a centimeter further forward it significantly harder to close the topper lock, but I actually appreciate the tighter seal and don’t mind the extra effort. Usually requires two hands to push the corners in gently while I close the lock

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That corner doesn't look cut. Thanks for the reply.

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
which corners, what angle?
My pix show where it looks like it may have been modified to fit, all four corners. If you look at mine, you can see in the back by the lift gate, the corners are not even cut symmetrical, side to side. In the back, they look to be cut in an arc to compensate for the center rail height difference. I'm wondering if they did they same to yours. I don't know if this is poor build or install. If you can, include a picture with the lift open and tailgate down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
My pix show where it looks like it may have been modified to fit, all four corners. If you look at mine, you can see in the back by the lift gate, the corners are not even cut symmetrical, side to side. In the back, they look to be cut in an arc to compensate for the center rail height difference. I'm wondering if they did they same to yours. I don't know if this is poor build or install. If you can include a picture with the lift open and tailgate down.
pictures attached. let me know if that’s not what you need.

regarding the possible cut out in the front to deal with a different height of the center rail, I think it looks similar on mine. I do see that whoever sealed your topper appears to have sealed it for you. In mind this was just left open with a big gap so I ended up filling the major gaps with spray foam

In the rear you can tell that my topper is a little bit asymmetric with a larger gap in the right rear, by a quarter inch or so, and it touches the bedframe in the left rear. I’m not sure whether this is because of some minor asymmetry in the truck or the topper, or whether it’s just slightly off center.

This ended up being the best fit that me and my friends could achieve, although perhaps when I go back to the dealer for the windows to be reinstalled, we could adjust it better.

73C3FA35-385A-4B11-83C5-038F0B7CEC05.jpeg

E6E66714-4884-4DB7-8923-9A096599B7F4.jpeg

F171E2FF-6F38-481E-9851-8BB2142B6577.jpeg

4D81C478-40E1-4D28-8A8D-D8F06F229AE5.jpeg

9214F6B7-1008-498D-805D-77581CB72A45.jpeg

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sending those. I just went out to look. I recently notice the seal in one corner was hanging. I tried to adjust a little and it came off. Another issue is the gate rubbed paint off the tailgate.

20200808_131504.jpg

20200808_132007.jpg

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
sorry to see that. the sides rubbed the paint off one spot on my bed too- i noticed after we lifted the topper to sit it forward.

can’t say i’m impressed. don’t know if this is an ARE thing or standard for toppers. i guess i expected better tolerances and workmanship.

the ARE dealer did say the ranger has a difficult bed to fit too because of irregular contours. don’t have enough experience to say whether this is blowing smoke, or the reality of a new/different truck.

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry to see that. the sides rubbed the paint off one spot on my bed too- i noticed after we lifted the topper to sit it forward.

can’t say i’m impressed. don’t know if this is an ARE thing or standard for toppers. i guess i expected better tolerances and workmanship.

the ARE dealer did say the ranger has a difficult bed to fit too because of irregular contours. don’t have enough experience to say whether this is blowing smoke, or the reality of a new/different truck.
I didn't even think about paint getting rubbed off anywhere else on the bed. The Century cap on my last Ranger seemed better.

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thats blowing smoke.

im sure they rushed the mould through the system when the ranger was released.
perhaps they didn't have one to take their time to fit it correctly, maybe they just swung by a dealer and took some measurements with a tape measure.
irregular contours or not...the mould can be created to any shape or design imaginable.

and now they are just band aiding the product

i dont think the moulding process is as precise as we think it is. they form them, cure them and trim them, then final assembly and deliver the product.

the quality i see, is mid grade at best.
The cuts on the corners are disappointing. My thought was they may just have went by dimensions and then had to modify. I had a Century on my last Ranger and it didn't have them. It is possible that they will continue to improve the fit.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
The cuts on the corners are disappointing. My thought was they may just have went by dimensions and then had to modify. I had a Century on my last Ranger and it didn't have them. It is possible that they will continue to improve the fit.
update: ARE dealer installed new windows today. no charge. i watched the whole thing to learn how it all goes together and learned a lot.

the new windows look great on the inside. the way i expected. the dealer conceded both that the workmanship on my original build was sh*t, and that that had been happening with far more frequency in the covid era. he suspects some different staff may have been working during the shutdowns.

other things i learned with the topper on a lift:

i think ford really screwed the pooch designing the bulkhead of the bed. no reason i can think of that the top of the bed up front should be lower than the bed rails. this makes tonneau covers and toppers harder to fit.

then ARE screwed the pooch by designing that dip into their form. if they just made a topper that was designed to sit flat up front it would be easy to bridge that gap with many of the tall gaskets available. however they made a curvy dip up front that doesn’t fit the square corners of the gap and makes it impossible for any rolled foam tape or gasket material to fill the gap in a clean efficient manner.

anyways. it’s on now. looks good. back to the mountains today..

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
looks good. do you mind sending me photos closeup of the corners, open and closed? im wondering how good a seal it makes.

after all this fuss, our topper is on and hard at work, and the only thing still bugging me is there is a small gap in those corners that lets dust in, and probably would let rain in if its blowing. im just curious about the LEER design.

it looks like theres probably a tighter fit against the back of the cab as well. not sure if that helps reduce wind noise or MPG loss or anything. just brainstorming differences.
Sponsored