New Colors for the 2020 Model Year Ranger

Which of the new 2020 Model Year colors do you like?

• Total voters

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I would like a black metallic but I’m happy with the black I got.
Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It is worth it for the White Platinum Tri-Coat. Mine is that color

I had White Platinum on my 2013 Escape it held up extremely well and cleaned and polished it look spectacular.

Robert Manikowski

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F-150 Lariat
My wife had that paint on her 16 Explorer and the whole rear got all these rust spots that almost looked like they were in the paint. One of the reasons I stayed away from it.
I think what you were seeing on the '16 explorer is called rail dust. It is notoriously more visible on white vehicles. You can buy something called Iron X to help remove it pretty easily.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Abyss or Lead Foot Gray would look good on the Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I think what you were seeing on the '16 explorer is called rail dust. It is notoriously more visible on white vehicles. You can buy something called Iron X to help remove it pretty easily.
Exactly what I was thinking and then I read your post

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2003 Ranger was forest green with tan interior. I was hoping the 2019 would have a green choice but had to settle for Ingot Silver which is now going away. Don't Ford engineers ever ask the consumers what they like?

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Still wish the Avalanche grey was a choice this year.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Little tib bit (UBI?) Ford Marketing selects colors 3 to 5 years in advance of the model year. Not a fan of Marketing..Cost me $12 million in Assembly Plant facilitation..sheesh

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Little tib bit (UBI?) Ford Marketing selects colors 3 to 5 years in advance of the model year. Not a fan of Marketing..Cost me $12 million in Assembly Plant facilitation..sheesh

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Phil,

As an engineer myself and a FoMoCo enthusiast, I love your anecdotes about how the "big boys" do it. Please share as often as possible, and let me know when you write your book! :LOL:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

As an engineer myself and a FoMoCo enthusiast, I love your anecdotes about how the "big boys" do it. Please share as often as possible, and let me know when you write your book! :LOL:
Hi Dmeyer

Quick story...we will order a couple Rangers and put them in service with severe duty companies that log mileage quickly...eg Texas oil rig service companies. My vehicle coordinator ordered a new "blue color" Ranger. Sent it out to an oil rig company sight unseen. Couldn't get any mileage on the truck. Got my vehicle coordinator to check into the poor mileage. Found out the blue was actually purple! Oil rig techs would not drive a truck that looked like Barney! Had to send the truck to FedEx in LA. Sheesh... Marketing color name..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dmeyer

Quick story...we will order a couple Rangers and put them in service with severe duty companies that log mileage quickly...eg Texas oil rig service companies. My vehicle coordinator ordered a new "blue color" Ranger. Sent it out to an oil rig company sight unseen. Couldn't get any mileage on the truck. Got my vehicle coordinator to check into the poor mileage. Found out the blue was actually purple! Oil rig techs would not drive a truck that looked like Barney! Had to send the truck to FedEx in LA. Sheesh... Marketing color name..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

One of my customers (Barrick) received an aluminum F-150 before they were released. Not sure how they discovered this, but when I was on site - there was a group with a magnet trying to stick on the bed of the truck.

Of course I joined in, then became a little perturbed since I had just purchased a brand new F150 and knew what was coming.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
One of my customers (Barrick) received an aluminum F-150 before they were released. Not sure how they discovered this, but when I was on site - there was a group with a magnet trying to stick on the bed of the truck.

Of course I joined in, then became a little perturbed since I had just purchased a brand new F150 and knew what was coming.
Ford Marketing can and do pre-sales to certain individuals. 4p units from the assembly plant are saleable but are usually crushed. My First FX4 Rangers in 2001 were sitting in the parking lot when 9/11 happened. I shipped all 20 units overnight to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Paid haulaway for two drivers... The FX4s arrived on 9/13 as Port Authority lost most of their vehicles. Got them back many months later. One of these first ever FX4s was put on display at World Headquarters. It was a good feeling for me. Eventually all 20 were crushed.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Last edited:

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm surprised Chili Pepper Red is already being discontinued. I have received more compliments on my truck, particularly the color more so than any other vehicle I've owned. Went through a drive through today and the cashier was complimenting the color.

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
I'm surprised Chili Pepper Red is already being discontinued. I have received more compliments on my truck, particularly the color more so than any other vehicle I've owned. Went through a drive through today and the cashier was complimenting the color.
The red and blue colors were the only ones I liked for 2019 (still haven't seen Saber in person) and red wasn't available on my trim so I went with blue. If it had been available, I'm not sure which I'd have gone with.
Sponsored