Confused about model year changes

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Hello, I found my way here from the bronco6g forum. I have a 2021 Bronco reserved. I was at the dealership the other day for service and ended up looking at a ranger. It seemed like a solid truck that would fit my needs. I’m now kind of drawn to the idea of buying a ranger instead of the Bronco but I’m very much undecided.

I started my new vehicle search looking at pickups but the Bronco really caught my eye based on past vehicles I have owned and enjoyed. So it might seem odd to be cross shopping these two but there are several reasons why I could go either way.

My main confusion is what changes will the 2022 Ranger include? I assumed that 2022 and later rangers would share a platform with the new Bronco and that the 2022 ranger would be a somewhat significant redesign from the current truck. I imagine that a new interior and different exterior design would be at the forefront of the new truck. However, all the information I am seeing at the ranger6g forum points to 2023 and later being the new ranger. So what gives here? Since the Bronco is going to be in production this summer I assumed that they would start producing new rangers as well for a fall launch of the 2022 model? Is there a comprehensive list of expected changes for the 2022 model? If you were in my shoes would you be inclined to wait for the next generation?

Sorry if any of this has been covered but the search didn’t point to my specific questions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I'd imagine the new Ranger will be a 2023 model year because of various reasons. Probably similar reasons as to why, what was originally supposed to be the 2020 Bronco, is now coming out in mid-2021. haha Delays happen, issues arise. I'd also imagine having Ford engineers work on so many new projects at once, including multiple clean sheet vehicles on top of the usual generation changes and constant facelifts, can be taxing on schedules. (Spoken as an engineer who has been pulled thin trying to support multiple projects at the same time. haha)

As far as any new information. The 6g Ranger forum would probably be your best bet. They've already got some good spy shots, as well as possible PHEV and Raptor models coming, on top of a brand new interior.

As far as timing. From what I've heard regarding the new Bronco it depends when your reservation/order is on the list how soon you'll actually get it. At this rate, the new Ranger might be out by the time some reservation/order holders get their Bronco's. So if you're low on the list, you'll be waiting either way. haha
This is kind of my dilemma with the whole thing. I’m a January 21 reservation so I will see my Bronco December at the earliest. If there are no significant changes to the 2022 ranger it sort of makes the decision harder rather than easier. I was really hoping the new ranger might offer a manual trans option for 2022 since the Bronco has one. That being said I doubt that they drop the 7mt into a ranger with a crawl gear but that would be really cool.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
There are a few things at play here with recent announcements made. With everything you just mentioned there will also be a smaller pickup coming that’s smaller than the Ranger. It’s slated to be the Maverick. So size wise it will be closer to previous generations of the Ranger. So, 4 sizes of pickups. Then comes the Bronco and it’s different flavors. They will most likely run this current design Ranger for 3 to 4 years before a redesign. That allows them to drop in the new introductions in a timed and planned manner.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Isn't it that new Maverick truck that shares the same platform as the Bronco? I think the Ranger is all by its lonesome since it has a full frame.
Nope the Maverick is a Unibody like the Honda Ridgeline. Both the Ranger and the Bronco are made together at MAP. Bronco order date ends this Friday with job 1 starting 5/3 and the first ones should be in customers hands sometime in June.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is kind of my dilemma with the whole thing. I’m a January '21 reservation so I will see my Bronco December at the earliest. If there are no significant changes to the 2022 ranger it sort of makes the decision harder rather than easier. I was really hoping the new ranger might offer a manual trans option for 2022 since the Bronco has one. That being said I doubt that they drop the 7mt into a ranger with a crawl gear but that would be really cool.
Just so you don't get your hopes up if you're a January 21 reservation holder there's no way you'll get your Bronco this December. My reservation is October 14th and I'm a MY'22 for sure. Only way is if the conversion rate falls to 25% of the 200,000 reservations they have but they're predicting 40%-45% by the numbers dealers are seeing now. Like others have already said there won't be another redesign of the Ranger for another 2 years and there's rumor of a Ranger Raptor too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Just so you don't get your hopes up if your a January 21 reservation holder there's no way you'll get your Bronco this December. My reservation is October 14th and I'm a MY'22 for sure. Only way is if the conversion rate falls to 25% of the 200,000 reservations they have but they're predicting 40%-45% by the numbers dealers are seeing now. Like others have already said there won't be another redesign of the Ranger for another 2 years and there's rumor of a Ranger Raptor too.
The timing is less of a factor than the potential utility of a pickup and being more honest with myself on what would make the best vehicle to add to my stable. I could wait even until next spring for the bronco but I think where I am at in life a pickup would really suit all my needs and the ranger is available now

Now that I’m considering the ranger I just didn’t want to experience regret for missing out on some major new features that might be available on a 22 model. If I am going to start shopping for a 19-21 I want to know what is right around the corner of the info is out there. So is the consensus here that the 2022 will not be a redesign at all? As in no new interior or exterior styling? This is the article that started my confusion:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp35181267/2022-ford-ranger-spied/

thanks for the replies so far I’m feeling pretty good about shopping for a ranger. As a bonus I could test drive one tomorrow to see how I really feel about it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The timing is less of a factor than the potential utility of a pickup and being more honest with myself on what would make the best vehicle to add to my stable. I could wait even until next spring for the bronco but I think where I am at in life a pickup would really suit all my needs and the ranger is available now

Now that I’m considering the ranger I just didn’t want to experience regret for missing out on some major new features that might be available on a 22 model. If I am going to start shopping for a 19-21 I want to know what is right around the corner of the info is out there. So is the consensus here that the 2022 will not be a redesign at all? As in no new interior or exterior styling? This is the article that started my confusion:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp35181267/2022-ford-ranger-spied/

thanks for the replies so far I’m feeling pretty good about shopping for a ranger. As a bonus I could test drive one tomorrow to see how I really feel about it.
I don't think anyone knows for sure when the next gen is going to launch but most things were pointing to 2023. Then you need to ask yourself "do I want the first year of a redesign"? This was one reason I really didn't want my Bronco until '22. I can now see real world reviews from consumers and maybe even test drive a dealer mannequin before buying mine. I just can't go out and spend close to $50K without driving one first. I've been burned before by first year runs so as much as I hate to wait I hate getting something with problems. Sure there's a warranty but it's still a hassle and sometimes a lot of wasted time. But there are no guarantees you won't get a lemon with this years model either. ?‍♂

I would go out and test drive one, I think you'll be surprised how nice they drive and how smooth the drivetrain is and don't let the 2.3L fool you, it's got some zip! I've owned 8 F150's, 1 Silverado and 1 Tacoma and this is one of my favorite trucks so far. I just hope the Bronco is as nice as these are. Now if I could only make up my mind as to which model I want. lol Good luck and let us know what you think of it after a test drive.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
There are a lot of Ranger aficionados on this site. We are all different yet share a love for the platform. Being in a business where I see firsthand auto purchase jubilation and time delayed regret, your post made me think of a phrase that many overlook... Who am I ? I think the fact you would ask it out loud answers your own question. Is the Bronco who you are or just a shiny new possession that others can't get. When I test drove this truck, I knew it was for me, it just felt right and all the analysis to paralysis stopped. Drive it and if you like it, buy it, something new is always around the corner. Be present.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

I was in a similar boat.

Shopped midsized trucks last summer, 2020. Debated waiting for new Ranger, ZR-2 Bison, was all over the place but went all in on the Bronco when released. Not a day one res, but I think it was Jul 21st.

By December I was sick of Ford's Bronco games. I picked up a 2020 Lariat FX-4 and canceled my Bronco reservation.

Couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I was in a similar boat.

Shopped midsized trucks last summer, 2020. Debated waiting for new Ranger, ZR-2 Bison, was all over the place but went all in on the Bronco when released. Not a day one res, but I think it was Jul 21st.

By December I was sick of Ford's Bronco games. I picked up a 2020 Lariat FX-4 and canceled my Bronco reservation.

Couldn't be happier.
Thanks for the insight.

That’s sort of how I got side tracked with the Bronco as well. Once I realized I was making compromises and still slightly going over my budget I started coming to the realization I would be happier with a pickup. Now I just need to figure out if I want to shop a nice used one, look for a new one on the lot with options I like, or wait until fall to see what 2022MY brings. I don’t have an immediate replacement need but I am excited about the ranger being my next truck.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Thanks for the insight.

That’s sort of how I got side tracked with the Bronco as well. Once I realized I was making compromises and still slightly going over my budget I started coming to the realization I would be happier with a pickup. Now I just need to figure out if I want to shop a nice used one, look for a new one on the lot with options I like, or wait until fall to see what 2022MY brings. I don’t have an immediate replacement need but I am excited about the ranger being my next truck.
Might be able to pick up a new 2020 on a clearance deal if you shop around..
I got $5k off a 2020 lariat at the end of January..
Deals might be better now that the 2021s are being delivered..

kirby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX5
Occupation
Sysadmin
Might be able to pick up a new 2020 on a clearance deal if you shop around..
I got $5k off a 2020 lariat at the end of January..
Deals might be better now that the 2021s are being delivered..

Agree, I found a 2020 that they want gone and they're going almost 30% off OTD. I don't see any big changes from 20' to 21.

Best compromise imo.

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Agree, I found a 2020 that they want gone and they're going almost 30% off OTD. I don't see any big changes from 20' to 21.

Best compromise imo.
30% off MSRP?... that’s insane. I’m not seeing any deals like that yet but I will look!
Sponsored