First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
I watch a lot of off-road videos and noticed that a lot of these vehicles don't have lockers front and rear. So I ask the question why don't all 4x4 come with front and rear lockers? Seems like if you went off-roading you would want front lockers as well as rear. I know mine does not and wonder at what disadvantage that puts me in, if any. BTW I don't off-road, just got it for re-sale value and the color.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Not everyone "off roads" the same. Lockers are great to have but depending on the type of off roading you do you can get by without them. I don't do anything extreme but have done some above average off roading in my Ranger and have never needed to use mine. Now if you were up in Moab doing some of the level 8 trails it's best to have them. As far as yours goes I don't think you're at any disadvantage not having them. I've never been to Hawaii (yet) but are there many extreme off roading areas there?

OP
OP
Gsxrdoug

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
No extreme off-roading here. Just curious cause I see some youtubers that have one wheel not spinning when it would help if it was.

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
Usually the need for lockers also comes with the need for additional ground clearance. Plus like was mentioned added cost and complexity. I would argue that you run into ground clearance issues when offroading before the need for lockers. Now mind you some locker stuff can be overcome with momentum, but if your doing that you better have all the underbody protection and then some.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
depends what you're doing.

the way most people drive, they'll never even need a rear locker. I have one. not sure I'll never really need it, even though I do a little light 4 wheeling.

a rear locker AND a front locker that you actually use probably puts you into sub-1% of use cases.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're doing extreme off roading, you can do a lot with modern electronic brake control...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
ill throw in a question related to this topic. with the wheel braking sending power back across to the opposite wheel it adds stress to the system = esp diff. are the diffs beefed up or improved to handle this as compared to older no fancy brake open diffs?

Reactions: Doc

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have had lockers on older trucks and Jeeps but never really needed to used them. My XLT FX4 has the rear locker and I doubt I will ever need it, but I do engage it occasionally to make sure it works.

Newer shift on the fly 4WD vehicles sure beat the old vehicles that you had to get out and manually lock the front axles in.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
A true locker on front will make it unsteerable. Need limited slip for front.
Only on a high traction surface that you would never engage a front locker. In any situation you would want to use it, there would be more than enough traction slip for functional steering.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I have had lockers on older trucks and Jeeps but never really needed to used them. My XLT FX4 has the rear locker and I doubt I will ever need it, but I do engage it occasionally to make sure it works.

Newer shift on the fly 4WD vehicles sure beat the old vehicles that you had to get out and manually lock the front axles in.
Replaced the "auto hubs" on my '95 Exploder with Warn manual locking hubs because the factory hubs had weak plastic parts that rendered the hub useless when they failed.

Yeah, it was easier but not as reliable.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Replaced the "auto hubs" on my '95 Exploder with Warn manual locking hubs because the factory hubs had weak plastic parts that rendered the hub useless when they failed.

Yeah, it was easier but not as reliable.
I did the same on my '99 B4000. Those vacuum actuated hubs never worked when you needed them.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I watch a lot of off-road videos and noticed that a lot of these vehicles don't have lockers front and rear. So I ask the question why don't all 4x4 come with front and rear lockers? Seems like if you went off-roading you would want front lockers as well as rear. I know mine does not and wonder at what disadvantage that puts me in, if any. BTW I don't off-road, just got it for re-sale value and the color.
My 12' Rubicon has front and rear lockers and I believe I have only used the front locker once or twice and I'm not sure I really needed to use them then.