First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Heh, yeah, the Ranger has long outlived that first link, at any rate ;)

We love our Ranger - currently in the midst of numerous Toyotas, Rams, etc as part of an overlanding outing outside of Bodie, California. Wouldn't trade for any of them.

The unique combination of capacities, power and features make the Ranger an easy choice for people seeking that sweet spot in between weaker small trucks and large behemoths that can't make it around a turn in a parking lot, much less an off-road trail.

20220604_054555small.jpg
Nice variety of rigs you have there. What are you pulling? Ours is an OBi Dweller. Does it suck towing on the highway like ours does?
2ABD8139-581D-408C-8EFF-58BCD4691E72.jpeg

721651A6-C78B-49C4-8714-E2FAD3CD9BFE.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Nice variety of rigs you have there. What are you pulling? Ours is an OBi Dweller. Does it suck towing on the highway like ours does?
2ABD8139-581D-408C-8EFF-58BCD4691E72.jpeg

721651A6-C78B-49C4-8714-E2FAD3CD9BFE.jpeg
Heh, your Obi Dweller likely does better than our Black Series HQ15. The dry weights are about the same, but yours has a lower profile/frontal area, so should be a bit easier.

I guess towing is in the eye of the beholder. We drag our HQ15 all over the place (22K miles over the last year) both on-road and off, and it is the best towing trailer we've ever had. Granted, using the Ranger means I always know the trailer is attached, but with the mods we've made (Icon suspension, Hydrastar disc trailer brakes, Equal-i-zer WDH hitch, McHitch, Air Lift air bags, etc.) it tows quite well for our needs.

Everything is a compromise, of course. What part of highway towing isn't working out so well for you?

BTW, I have to say, I am very impressed by the Dweller. I travelled with one for two weeks in Mexico and got a chance to see it handle off-road. And the design is outstanding - the layout, equipment placement and choice of equipment are all top-notch. A Pop-top is not for us at this point, but I will definitely keep them on my list of trailers to check out as they evolve.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Heh, your Obi Dweller likely does better than our Black Series HQ15. The dry weights are about the same, but yours has a lower profile/frontal area, so should be a bit easier.

I guess towing is in the eye of the beholder. We drag our HQ15 all over the place (22K miles over the last year) both on-road and off, and it is the best towing trailer we've ever had. Granted, using the Ranger means I always know the trailer is attached, but with the mods we've made (Icon suspension, Hydrastar disc trailer brakes, Equal-i-zer WDH hitch, McHitch, Air Lift air bags, etc.) it tows quite well for our needs.

Everything is a compromise, of course. What part of highway towing isn't working out so well for you?

BTW, I have to say, I am very impressed by the Dweller. I travelled with one for two weeks in Mexico and got a chance to see it handle off-road. And the design is outstanding - the layout, equipment placement and choice of equipment are all top-notch. A Pop-top is not for us at this point, but I will definitely keep them on my list of trailers to check out as they evolve.
The main problem may be my expectations and impatience. It has been much better the last couple times out. But approaching 65 mph it starts to rock/bounce from side to side pretty good. Filling the front water tank and putting some weight in the tongue box seems to have helped some. I have been pulling a Coleman E1 Pop-up for the last 10 years and it was a breeze.

Not much to my Ranger, mostly stock with the Tremor and Factory Tow packages. I do have Firestone air-bags and a Draw-tite brake controller. Can’t find anyone in Denver who has any experience with the McHitch set-up and a WDH option.

Like you said, it’s all a compromise. What makes it tow great off-road doesn’t help much at highway speeds: independent suspension, articulating hitch, higher clearance.

The unit is great other than that. We had a deposit on an Opus OP15 for sometime and the delivery kept getting pushed back, plus it was just a little too big for us. Our local dealer started carrying the Dweller and we are happy we changed our minds. The layout is perfect for us. The fridge and furnace/water heater are a big upgrade, and the solar set-up is a game changer.

I have also had an issue with something in the ECM and “Pre-Collision Assist” in the Ranger. But thats a different issue. More details can be found on this thread:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/pre-collision-assist-not-available-warning.19283/#post-422566

Thanks for your reply!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I think Ford regrets the 30+ items that were later removed from later models...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
That article was probably written by a Taco or Colorado driver.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Don’t see mention of the highest safety ratings of any midsize truck or blowing ANY of the competition off the line. Oh ya! Try finding one too ?

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Y'all need to quit promoting obvious garbage click-bait articles.

Ford doesn't regret the Ranger and the Top Secret 2018MY isn't superior to the 2019MY as another article linked here claimed.
Sponsored