Need advice on taillights

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Hey Larry, your dealer has to use their techno-wizardry to pair them with your truck. Maybe the body shop can do it as well, not exactly sure. Others on here may know for certain.
Yes, the modules have to be programmed. Just wish they were like Mopar key fobs, which are bricked if you try to program new VIN to it.
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The access panel isn't touched for tail light theft
Ref: access panels referring to post 9/11 security sealing aircraft lavatory panels and having to open them up for maintenance behind them

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
I recently purchased some torx head screws from Lowes, think I will try installing them tomorrow. Greg, keep an eye out on ebay and craigslist for your stolen taillights, wouldn't be surprised to find them there....

The torx security screws I purchased from Lowes were too long, ordered and received a set of license plate torx security screws from Amazon. I had some small stainless steel fender washers, painted 4 of them gloss black and installed them today with the black caps included. Looks like factory installed. Also saved the original screws....
What size did you go with? Got a amazon link?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Well thanks to this thread i actually had a dream about walking up to my truck only to see heartbreak and cut harnesses, if I have to park in a bad spot, I'm going to find something to back up tight against...

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Hi Morgan, Do you have any pictures of the stuff you got for us all??? Stupid thieves. I would probably shoot the M*****F***** if I caught them in the process of messing with my Ranger.

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Morgan, Do you have any pictures of the stuff you got for us all??? Stupid thieves. I would probably shoot the M*****F***** if I caught them in the process of messing with my Ranger.
Huh?

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
BGMVFK Black Anti Theft License Plate Screws- Rustproof Stainless Steel Security Fastener Hardware, M6 (1/4") Tamper Proof Car Tag Screws, Nylon Insert, Cap Cover for Front Rear Frame Holder Mounting https://a.co/d/a79tCR7

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
BGMVFK Black Anti Theft License Plate Screws- Rustproof Stainless Steel Security Fastener Hardware, M6 (1/4") Tamper Proof Car Tag Screws, Nylon Insert, Cap Cover for Front Rear Frame Holder Mounting https://a.co/d/a79tCR7
Thank you ?

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
yea, I meant to correct that, this is one of those words in the English language I sometimes screw up:curse:
Often, "auto correct" does that for you. ?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Ref: access panels referring to post 9/11 security sealing aircraft lavatory panels and having to open them up for maintenance behind them
The thieves don't remove the access panel on the tailgate to steal the tail lamps. They either punch the lock in or punch thru the aluminum skinned sheet metal.
20220921_083840.jpg
20221027_193111.jpg

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The thieves don't remove the access panel on the tailgate to steal the tail lamps. They either punch the lock in or punch thru the aluminum skinned sheet metal.
20220921_083840.jpg
20221027_193111.jpg
I am suggesting filling the attaching screw heads of the Taillamp Assy, themselves, a thief would have to pick it out of the screws to get them off, this is another option vs security screws that have a widely available mass-produced bit (in kits) - the drawback is, you will have to pick it out if you need to remove them, it can be done without damage to screw but adds some time to your job.

Edit:

As a mechanic thinking like a thief, the thieves who steal automotive items are skilled and are prepared with the tools needed to obtain what they want

Just a thought on time to get the taillights:

1. Factory Screws, gain access (tail gate) opened now remove taillight attaching screws, pull lights assy out, cut wiring
Start to Finish - about 5 minutes (estimated)

2. Security Screws (Such as License Plate) - add 1 to 2 minutes, for bit type ID and swap

3. Fill and or cover with sealant or Bondo the Attaching Screws, add 5 to 10 minutes, so now it depends on how determined they are, take the time to remove the sealant or move on

Now depending on where truck is parked, how visual they are, they might move on. But being that you stopped them from getting the prize, they might retaliate by breaking the taillight or screwdriver scribe your paint

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
How about we find a way that the tailgate can't be opened, even if they jimmy the lock? Maybe add a hidden actuator or solenoid that pins the tailgate to the bed? It can only be activated by a push button inside the cab and can't be easily seen or accessed.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Went to dinner a couple nights ago and both taillights were stolen. Question is, should I pay a $500 deductible or is this something that I should be able to order and install myself for much cheaper. The wires were cut and I am not that mechanically inclined but if it’s not too difficult and saves money, I would rather go that route. Picture of left below.

F2A1DA54-5BBC-494D-B6BD-79908383BE53.jpeg
On the low end they will run you $750. I just had one installed from a slight mishap I had and it was $1,087 through Ford. I thought the body shop was scamming me until I made a few phone calls.....crazy expensive for taillights!!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
After following this, I just went out and bought a pack of license plate security torx screws.
1/4 " x 3/4 "....pack at Advance Auto is $6 bucks. Comes with a 27 torx wrench, but I happen to have a set of security torx sockets.
If it slows someone even a few minutes extra, so be it....

IMG_20221130_125359978.jpg

IMG_20221130_125412112.jpg
Sponsored