OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
Thanks , what anybody’s thoughts on using it in our Rangers. Read a lot of oil issues and not seen comments on Valvoline.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks , what anybody’s thoughts on using it in our Rangers. Read a lot of oil issues and not seen comments on Valvoline.
Even if Napa's oil is indeed made by Valvoline that does not mean it is the same as a comparable Valvoline branded motor oil.

But I dug a little deeper and based on the test data I could find online:
  • Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic looks pretty good, not as good as Mobil 1 Annual Protection, or Amsoil Signature Series though.
  • Napa Pure Synthetic... not so good.
    2020-03-17 Test Data.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
Thanks Henry, that answers my question. That’s why it’s a bargain, going to stay with the good stuff

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Last time I was in Costco, I saw 2 5 quart jugs of Kirkland brand Synthetic 5w-30. For the most part, I've had very good experiences with Kirkland branch products. I found it was made by Warren Distribution - it is SN Plus and Dexos2, sound it sounds pretty good - it was $25 for the two 5 quart jugs - pretty good deal. I didn't see the testing specs on the petroleum site unless I searched wrong.

What do you guys think? I used Mobile 1 for my first oil change - this might be one of my future ones.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Last time I was in Costco, I saw 2 5 quart jugs of Kirkland brand Synthetic 5w-30. For the most part, I've had very good experiences with Kirkland branch products. I found it was made by Warren Distribution - it is SN Plus and Dexos2, sound it sounds pretty good - it was $25 for the two 5 quart jugs - pretty good deal. I didn't see the testing specs on the petroleum site unless I searched wrong.

What do you guys think? I used Mobile 1 for my first oil change - this might be one of my future ones.
I think a guy would be wise to stick with a brand you can find published results on from an independent testing lab.

But then again... I don't understand why Ford specifies Motorcraft Synthetic Blend... it's test results are pretty poor.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think a guy would be wise to stick with a brand you can find published results on from an independent testing lab.

But then again... I don't understand why Ford specifies Motorcraft Synthetic Blend... it's test results are pretty poor.
I found this analysis:

https://pqia.org/kirkland-signature-full-synthetic-sae-5w-30-motor-oil/

but it does not do the ASTM D5800 test on it which seems to be important to help prevent coking of the valves. The tests that the do show appear to correlate well with Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It seems like either of these options are superior to the Motorcraft Synthetic blend.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I found this analysis:

https://pqia.org/kirkland-signature-full-synthetic-sae-5w-30-motor-oil/

but it does not do the ASTM D5800 test on it which seems to be important to help prevent coking of the valves. The tests that the do show appear to correlate well with Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It seems like either of these options are superior to the Motorcraft Synthetic blend.
Hard to say without the D5800 test. The phosphorus number is pretty high which isn't a good thing for coking in a GDI motor.

https://www.savantlab.com/testing-highlights/engine-oil-volatility-and-astm-d5800/

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say without the D5800 test. The phosphorus number is pretty high which isn't a good thing for coking in a GDI motor.

https://www.savantlab.com/testing-highlights/engine-oil-volatility-and-astm-d5800/
According to that article, it must be at least 13% or below:

GM’s dexos® specify a maximum Noack volatility limit of 13%.
Which is better than the Motorcraft Synthentic blend at 14.3.

Phosphorus is just slightly higher than the Motorcraft as well.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
According to that article, it must be at least 13% or below:

Which is better than the Motorcraft Synthentic blend at 14.3.

Phosphorus is just slightly higher than the Motorcraft as well.
If Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is the std. which you are comparing other oils to... nearly every full synthetic is better.... because a blend has dinosaur oil in it.

And for a non GDI motor, Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is OK. But for a GDI motor and an owner that plans to keep his truck past the warranty period, it's a poor choice since there are so many other oils out there that out perform it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is the std. which you are comparing other oils to... nearly every full synthetic is better.... because a blend has dinosaur oil in it.

And for a non GDI motor, Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is OK. But for a GDI motor and an owner that plans to keep his truck past the warranty period, it's a poor choice since there are so many other oils out there that out perform it.
The only reason I use it as the "benchmark" is because that is what Ford recommends.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Nothing like ”best” oil discussions except I’m out of popcorn AND toilet paper.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The only reason I use it as the "benchmark" is because that is what Ford recommends.
No worries. I enjoy these discussions....

When it comes to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend..... I think of the bare minimum amount of "Flair" ?

Sponsored

Last edited: