My perfect Ranger with an imperfect transmission...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
after reading the whole tread it's amazing how overblown this problem is or should i say with this many in service not really a real problem
It's not. But some people would refuse to buy a product because of a small percentage of negative reviews. An item on Amazon can have 852 five-star reviews, and 3 one-star reviews and people will see the product as faulty.
The ironic thing here, is that someone won't buy the Ranger because of a 'faulty transmission' but instead will buy the F150, which has the same transmission.
Sponsored

Morgangwc

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
My also perfect 2020 Ranger trans started shifting strange at 80k by 90k it would slam into gear between 5th and 9th, then not shift or find the gear at all, a few times on the freeway leaving limping in 70mph traffic. Dealer had it one day told me they would order the parts to rebuild, 2 weeks later they had the part, he then told me they needed it for 3 more weeks to finish. I traded it last week on a 2023, I need it for work. Got home now at 500 miles on the 2023 and it has a transmission fluid leak and I can hear a loud(ish) whine from it. Ugh, I'm going to the service dept today. Sad really. I know there's a class action lawsuit I just wish they'd fix it as it's such a great truck otherwise.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My also perfect 2020 Ranger trans started shifting strange at 80k by 90k it would slam into gear between 5th and 9th, then not shift or find the gear at all, a few times on the freeway leaving limping in 70mph traffic. Dealer had it one day told me they would order the parts to rebuild, 2 weeks later they had the part, he then told me they needed it for 3 more weeks to finish. I traded it last week on a 2023, I need it for work. Got home now at 500 miles on the 2023 and it has a transmission fluid leak and I can hear a loud(ish) whine from it. Ugh, I'm going to the service dept today. Sad really. I know there's a class action lawsuit I just wish they'd fix it as it's such a great truck otherwise.
I know how you feel =(

So far, 99% of the time the new transmission's operation has been unremarkable since the replacement 6K miles ago...the 1% is that occasional minor bump going from park to drive or dropping down into 5th...in other words, normal for 10R80...nothing compared to CRASH, BAM & SLAM that preceded the self destruction of the original transmission...also, the DPFE sensor replacement has made everything silky smooth again...knock on wood...

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've slowed way down...two years ago, it would've been 16K...
Why slow down. Don't you have unlimited miles warranty on the new transmission? You know the magic number maybe you can get another new one free. :like:

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Why slow down. Don't you have unlimited miles warranty on the new transmission? You know the magic number maybe you can get another new one free. :like:
Two big reasons:

1-Gas prices in 2019 was half the cost...FJB...
2-Rest of my truck, along with the engine has been long out of warranty...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Oh man. Who was that guy on here that said we were all just a bunch of whiners?
narrows.jpg

Yeah, probably the guys who have been driving trucks with auto-trans for the last 40 years.

Morgangwc

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Update about the transmission leak: I just left the dealer (couldn't get service on the phone) it's not the transmission (yay?) it's the engine leaking oil somewhere around the transmission and it just looks like it's coming from it. They're not exactly sure where though. SA is going to let me know today - I'll hold my breath. I guess the 7 hours they've already had it wasn't enough time to find where the oil leaking from.....

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update about the transmission leak: I just left the dealer (couldn't get service on the phone) it's not the transmission (yay?) it's the engine leaking oil somewhere around the transmission and it just looks like it's coming from it. They're not exactly sure where though. SA is going to let me know today - I'll hold my breath. I guess the 7 hours they've already had it wasn't enough time to find where the oil leaking from.....
Good new is that a new 2.3 is cheaper than a new 10R80...

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Good new is that a new 2.3 is cheaper than a new 10R80...
I have around 52K on my 19 Ranger and the tranny is or has been acting weird. Doesn't do the gear hunting, never has. Mostly rough or slip shifts and after it has sat for 4 to 5 hours, engine still basically warm, I drive off and 3 to 5 shift is nearly a stall! It has done this repeatedly in that scenario! I'v watched the RPM and when it does this it doesnt go up like in a slip, just hangs there for a second or two then grabs kinda harshly. The rest of the shifts are sloppy. Once I go through a complete upshift cycle it improves and acts normally (for a 10R80). A bad sign to me is I had to make an appointment 2 weeks out just to see the tranny guy. He's rather busy these days. They kept it a day and a half and said nothing is wrong, I was waiting for that answer too. I was at least hoping for a reflash but didn't even get that. Glad I opted for the 125K warranty. I'm proactive and would like to get it fixed BEFORE it leaves me stranded. SA said well you are covered up to 125K! Like I shouldn't worry! Thats a crap attitude if it's suppose to make me feel better. I would rather it didn't break. I have also noticed a ticking when cold, I can hear it from behind the firewall, I go to the front and noise disappears, it's an infrequent tick, not always there. I'm thinking torque converter, anyone else notice this?

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have around 52K on my 19 Ranger and the tranny is or has been acting weird. Doesn't do the gear hunting, never has. Mostly rough or slip shifts and after it has sat for 4 to 5 hours, engine still basically warm, I drive off and 3 to 5 shift is nearly a stall! It has done this repeatedly in that scenario! I'v watched the RPM and when it does this it doesnt go up like in a slip, just hangs there for a second or two then grabs kinda harshly. The rest of the shifts are sloppy. Once I go through a complete upshift cycle it improves and acts normally (for a 10R80). A bad sign to me is I had to make an appointment 2 weeks out just to see the tranny guy. He's rather busy these days. They kept it a day and a half and said nothing is wrong, I was waiting for that answer too. I was at least hoping for a reflash but didn't even get that. Glad I opted for the 125K warranty. I'm proactive and would like to get it fixed BEFORE it leaves me stranded. SA said well you are covered up to 125K! Like I shouldn't worry! Thats a crap attitude if it's suppose to make me feel better. I would rather it didn't break. I have also noticed a ticking when cold, I can hear it from behind the firewall, I go to the front and noise disappears, it's an infrequent tick, not always there. I'm thinking torque converter, anyone else notice this?
" I'v watched the RPM and when it does this it doesnt go up like in a slip, just hangs there for a second or two then grabs kinda harshly. "

I second that.....more like getting rear ended...

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
" I'v watched the RPM and when it does this it doesnt go up like in a slip, just hangs there for a second or two then grabs kinda harshly. "

I second that.....more like getting rear ended...
I tried my best to explain this to SA, they kept it overnight because tech wanted to read codes in the morning. Nothing wrong all normal. To be fair it's hard for the tech if it doesn't replicate the problem or throw a code. I do FAA repairs on a boost fuel pump for Gulfstream G550, we get pumps in that are intermittent failures. I test these and return nearly 99% of them because it doesn't repeat. Frustrating for sure. I have had many Ford vehicles and have never been stranded because I can recognize issues before it actually fails. This is what I am trying to do here. :headbang:
Sponsored