First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Subscribed.✔ I am enjoying your videos, too. Good drone-cam work! It's heartening to see some one taking on that type of terrain with a Ranger that isn't all "SEMA'd out." Mrs. Motorpsychology & I go moose scouting up in the Minnesota Arrowhead-BWCAW area occasionally in our 2018 Escape. There are some USFS roads and atv trails that are good for the most part but there are stretches that we really shouldn't traverse with it. There's places in the Black Hills and Bighorn Mountains we'd like to explore further as well. Looking forward to future episodes when you can get to it.

Waiting on a couple cd's to ripen and then I'll spec out a '21 XLT Supercab this Feb, either Cactus Grey or Carbonized Grey; I need to see those colors in person first. My Suzuki V-Strom will just fit with the tailgate down- also need a military grade damper!

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
thanks all for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the videos.

Hopefully I can get some more content up soon, though I've been a bit side tracked lately and haven't had a chance to get out much.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Travis - although you most likely could have made it thru that "end of the road" (I've driven roads a LOT worse that that), I think you absolutely made the right call to turn around. You were alone and were quite a ways in. That one spot where you made the "bridge" scared the crap out of me just watching it! I'm glad you were able to make it over and back on that spot with no issues. I pushed it a bit too much once, and the back end of my 2005 Ranger slid off the road:

RangerStuckInTheSnow-20140412-S.jpg

Fortunately, a friend of mine met me out there and helped rescue me. Had he not been there, I would have been walking out to get help. Every time I tried to get out, it just kept sliding farthter and farther off the road. By the time I stopped, the left rear tire was probably 8+" below the road bed. With no locker I had no rear traction, and even with the chains on the front, it wouldn't move.

I look forward to your next installment.....

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Travis - although you most likely could have made it thru that "end of the road" (I've driven roads a LOT worse that that), I think you absolutely made the right call to turn around. You were alone and were quite a ways in. That one spot where you made the "bridge" scared the crap out of me just watching it! I'm glad you were able to make it over and back on that spot with no issues. I pushed it a bit too much once, and the back end of my 2005 Ranger slid off the road:

RangerStuckInTheSnow-20140412-S.jpg

Fortunately, a friend of mine met me out there and helped rescue me. Had he not been there, I would have been walking out to get help. Every time I tried to get out, it just kept sliding farthter and farther off the road. By the time I stopped, the left rear tire was probably 8+" below the road bed. With no locker I had no rear traction, and even with the chains on the front, it wouldn't move.

I look forward to your next installment.....
I wish I'd done a better job explaining and filming what was ahead, but unfortunately I was so exhausted at that point I was kind of over it, hah. The trail was starting to get a lot more rocky, with some big step ups and off-camber sections.
While I still could have made it over that stuff, I was still only maybe 1/4 of the way through the trail, that had already taken me about 4 hours. Also, at the north end I was expecting about 5 or 6 river crossings, and potentially also running into unpassable/gated private property. I was giving myself a maybe 25% chance at best I'd be able to get out and back onto public road even if I was actually able to make it through the entire trail.

and yeah, It can get pretty sketchy once a single tire starts to slide off the road surface, you don't realize how soft and unstable the edges can be until you have the full weight of a tire on them, much less when there's a solid 15-20 degree slope into it, and a drop down into a river past the edge, lol.

Last edited:

studiowild

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Product Manager
Awesome series! The snow video was fun too. Looking forward to more this year!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
just published the 1st part of this new little series I'm working on, from a solo trip in my Ranger last month.

probably will be 3 or 4 parts in total, shooting for every 2 weeks to release the next.

enjoy.
Oh man, that’s living the dream. Makes me want to get an RTT, a 270, and a big ol’ dog. My wife sure is going to be pissed. I‘m really going to miss her.

Seriously though, enjoy your adventures and keep posting great videos to keep us interested.
Sponsored