First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Since many on here have a factory locker on their Ranger(or perhaps you added a locker) this will help you with knowing when and when not to run a locker!! And yes it helped me understand

Sponsored

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here you can hear a little rev and a long pause as I realized my locker was off and my drive wheel was in the air spinning. With the locker engaged, easy peezy!

I actually always try to take a trail with as little equipment activated as possible, and then engage only what I need to get through an obstacle. On the downside, that can open you up to getting in a bad situation you might not have ended up in with 4 wheel drive or the locker engaged.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Here you can hear a little rev and a long pause as I realized my locker was off and my drive wheel was in the air spinning. With the locker engaged, easy peezy!

I actually always try to take a trail with as little equipment activated as possible, and then engage only what I need to get through an obstacle. On the downside, that can open you up to getting in a bad situation you might not have ended up in with 4 wheel drive or the locker engaged.
I follow pretty much the same doctrine, I have gotten very good at judging what will be needed for what I drive in here in florida so I rarely get stuck (picking a good line helps too ofc) But I do try to be proactive not reactive so if I have doubts I'll usually air on the side of caution and throw it on rather than chance it.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I follow pretty much the same doctrine, I have gotten very good at judging what will be needed for what I drive in here in florida so I rarely get stuck (picking a good line helps too ofc) But I do try to be proactive not reactive so if I have doubts I'll usually air on the side of caution and throw it on rather than chance it.
I need a place to 4 wheel down here man! South Florida is so damn FLAT! Booooooo!

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I need a place to 4 wheel down here man! South Florida is so damn FLAT! Booooooo!
yeah its mostly mud and water up here, though holopaw (which you need a key to get into) and citrus up here have some good spots to get some flex on, I'll be near you over thanksgiving and I am looking for some spots to hit, you got any suggestions? and ideally you wanna come along?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah its mostly mud and water up here, though holopaw (which you need a key to get into) and citrus up here have some good spots to get some flex on, I'll be near you over thanksgiving and I am looking for some spots to hit, you got any suggestions? and ideally you wanna come along?
Suggestions? - Unfortunately no. :(
Do I want to go along? - YES 😁

I'm in Boca Raton, and I don't know of anything in my area. But there might be a couple of parks a couple of hours away from me on the opposite coast. I've only been down here since February of '22, and I've only driven around Loxahatchee. It was a good way to kill a couple of hours but it wasn't really exciting as most of the trails are now hunting access only.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Suggestions? - Unfortunately no. :(
Do I want to go along? - YES 😁

I'm in Boca Raton, and I don't know of anything in my area. But there might be a couple of parks a couple of hours away from me on the opposite coast. I've only been down here since February of '22, and I've only driven around Loxahatchee. It was a good way to kill a couple of hours but it wasn't really exciting as most of the trails are now hunting access only.
I have heard a little about JW Corbett, any info on that? Also apparently there are a few spots in the everglades though those are more lake and swamp than trail lol. Send me a pm and we can figure out a way to link up

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard a little about JW Corbett, any info on that? Also apparently there are a few spots in the everglades though those are more lake and swamp than trail lol. Send me a pm and we can figure out a way to link up
JW Corbett is what I meant by Loxahatchee. LOL I couldn't remember the name! I snapped these pics there:

2023-02-04 09.39.52.jpg

2023-02-04 09.41.14.jpg

2023-02-04 09.53.45.jpg

2023-02-04 11.26.38.jpg
2023-02-04 10.19.18.jpg

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
JW Corbett is what I meant by Loxahatchee. LOL I couldn't remember the name! I snapped these pics there:

2023-02-04 09.39.52.jpg

2023-02-04 09.41.14.jpg

2023-02-04 09.53.45.jpg

2023-02-04 11.26.38.jpg
2023-02-04 10.19.18.jpg
That looks stunning, would definitely love to go out there if nothing else for the views, are those trails that are more high speed ie rally esque?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a side note, I heard that when they put together the trails and stuff at JW Corbett, they put in several man-made fishing areas that you can back up to, set up for the day, and chill with some fresh water fishing. I need to find these places!!!!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks stunning, would definitely love to go out there if nothing else for the views, are those trails that are more high speed ie rally esque?
No really rally like. Mostly because you have swamp buggies accessing the trails to get into the deeper stuff for hunting.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I generally don't have much use for Ronnie, but that was a decent summation. Front locker in particular is only for mud and sand, or very low speed crawling, and only until the direct obstacle is cleared. Any wheel spin with bounce on moderate traction is going to pop CVs far too often. I almost don't mind not having one, because the temptation to use it often leads to more work in repairs than just winching in the first place, especially on an IFS vehicle.

Up here, most of my trouble wheeling is in deep clay mud. I do lots of bush trail, and some rock, but the real hazard is clay. This photo was just after my ass slide off the ledge on my left, and just before I got stuck. It gets much deeper than my photo shows, the Jeep isn't at the worst part yet, and also gets stuck another 8 feet ahead. I'm on 33s, he's on 37s. We both needed to winch, but if I had a front locker to go with my rear, I'm fairly sure I could have dug myself out asI still hd 3 tires on decent ground. Unfortunately no more photos of that one, but my rear left tire was fully submerged, and half the tail light.

4Owideu.jpg
Sponsored