Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Here it's the scorpions. The first time I came out to AZ and stayed in a hotel I was banging my shoes out all the time. Someone told me they like to crawl inside and then sting you when you put your foot in. Same with the sheets on the bed, they like to crawl under then too. I must of looked like a maniac banging my shoes out and searching under the covers. lol Good thing I'm over that now. ?

You can take a black light and walk around to find the as they glow from the light. NO thanks I'd rather not know they're around. o_O

Scorpion.jpg
Yeah, they would terrify me. I would never stop looking under the covers! :crackup:
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I spent some time in the Mojave doing Army stuff. I used to put my socks over my boots at night so nothing would climb in. My Sgt. was making fun of me, next morning we heard this hissing sound as we got dressed, turns out there was a rattler under my cot, it crawled into the tent overnight.

I never liked snakes, hated them even more after that.
Hi Rich,

My Neighbor use to say "Don't like anything without shoulders"....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineeering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent some time in the Mojave doing Army stuff. I used to put my socks over my boots at night so nothing would climb in. My Sgt. was making fun of me, next morning we heard this hissing sound as we got dressed, turns out there was a rattler under my cot, it crawled into the tent overnight.

I never liked snakes, hated them even more after that.
Scary!

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that's a spider. We were in New Mexico when these big ol' thangs were out, and about. I was told the male's were out looking for a girl friend. I wasn't about to get in his way. :)

100_4647.JPG
:crackup:I probably would have a heart event!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Now that's a spider. We were in New Mexico with these big ol' thangs were out, and about. I was told the male's were out looking for a girl friend. I wasn't about to get in his way. :)

100_4647.JPG
These guys are quite harmless....I pick them up from time to time on the road and move them to safer ground.

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Rich,

My Neighbor use to say "Don't like anything without shoulders"....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineeering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I agree with him! And maybe not like some things WITH shoulders!:giggle:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
These guys are quite harmless....I pick them up from time to time on the road and move them to safer ground.
Yeah Phil, I was told they won't bite you unless they get scared. My question was, "How the hell am I suppose to know if one is scared?" Not me brother.........:LOL:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Here it's the scorpions. The first time I came out to AZ and stayed in a hotel I was banging my shoes out all the time. Someone told me they like to crawl inside and then sting you when you put your foot in. Same with the sheets on the bed, they like to crawl under then too. I must of looked like a maniac banging my shoes out and searching under the covers. lol Good thing I'm over that now. ?

You can take a black light and walk around to find the as they glow from the light. NO thanks I'd rather not know they're around. o_O

Scorpion.jpg
Sat down on my couch with no shirt on and caught one of those buggers right between my shoulder blades ...

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah Phil, I was told they won't bite you unless they get scared. My question was, "How the hell am I suppose to know if one is scared?" Not me brother.........:LOL:
Reminds me of a scene in Friends where someone said to Joey 'The spider is more scared of you than you are of it' and he replied 'Oh yeah, I don't see the spider peeing its pants!'

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah, spiders and snakes...terrified of them. I always check first. :shock: I also don’t leave my shoes outside for that very reason - snakes hiding inside.
Was one of the biggest changes moving down to Alabama from Western NY ... I was used to running through the woods, throwing snakes at each other while growing up. Then I get to Alabama and realize that Black Widow bites suck and stepping over logs can be dangerous. I’ve been here 30 years so these things don’t bother me at all. I’m still afraid of NY sharks (politicians) :shock:

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Here it's the scorpions.
I never knew we had them in Alabama until we moved closer to the lake. Brown and fairly harmless, apparently sting is similar to a bee. Who knew?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jim,

if they try to run away....they are scared but if they just walk and you slip your hand under them and lift up when the are in your palm they are pretty cool with what is happening....I move them and put my hand down in the desert sand and they walk off and on their merry way. The real pretty ones we have here are coal black with a double strip of yellow on each leg. Really pretty! They are really not very poisonous but their bite will get your attention.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never knew we had them in Alabama until we moved closer to the lake. Brown and fairly harmless, apparently sting is similar to a bee. Who knew?
We used to have scorpions at our house when I was a young child. Outside by an old tree. I haven’t seen one since.

Reactions: Doc

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi Jim,

if they try to run away....they are scared but if they just walk and you slip your hand under them and lift up when the are in your palm they are pretty cool with what is happening....I move them and put my hand down in the desert sand and they walk off and on their merry way. The real pretty ones we have here are coal black with a double strip of yellow on each leg. Really pretty! They are really not very poisonous but their bite will get your attention.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That is kind of cool my friend. It's strange, I don't mind picking up a snake (non poisonous of course), and moving them to the woods, but I just can't wrap my mind around doing the same with a spider. The mind is a funny thing.
Sponsored