First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I purchased my new 2019 XLT Super Crew in the Silver Ingot color about three weeks ago. It was a leftover and I got a good deal on it.
There were a couple of small dings that the dealership was going to fix. Really minor and any paintless dent guy could easily make it right.
Well, they called and wanted me to come back and talk to the service manager. I was a little confused.
The repair guy noticed that the tailgate and back half of the truck got a light coat of paint and you can see the primer. It is only an inch or two up from the bottom edge. I am amazed I did not notice it. The lighting has to be just right to see it. Any other color of paint would be super noticeable.
Anyway, the truck goes to the body shop this Monday. They will have it all week. The plan is to paint the truck from the front doors back. All under warranty of course. And they will provide a new truck for me to drive in the interim.
This Ford store has a top notch body shop so I am not concerned. Just a little bummed that a defect like this could get by Ford QA.
Sponsored

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Well like you said, it was really hard to see. I do wonder how likely it is to happen though considering most cars are painted by robots now, at least from what I've seen.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Wow that would be a bummer! But at least your dealer had some integrity and stepped up to the plate to make it right. He could have easily said nothing and then you wouldn't have been the wiser. Glad you are able to get it taken care of. On the bright side, it will look as good as new and you will have a thicker than factory paint that should last a long time and be more chip resistant.

OP
OP
Ace Holliday

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow that would be a bummer! But at least your dealer had some integrity and stepped up to the plate to make it right. He could have easily said nothing and then you wouldn't have been the wiser. Glad you are able to get it taken care of. On the bright side, it will look as good as new and you will have a thicker than factory paint that should last a long time and be more chip resistant.
Yes, the Service Manager seems to be a stand up guy and I appreciate it. When I went back to talk to him he said he had already "battled" with Ford on the warranty coverage and had already arranged for a new loaner truck.
Once the issue was pointed out it is really easy to see, of course. I tried to get photos but it is hard to see in them.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Paint issues can be real hard to detect at times. Certain colors under different lighting conditions can make some flaws nearly invisible to the eye. You will love it when it comes back though!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
What really matters...you have a great dealer. I learned a long time ago...as much as you like the truck...time takes its toll. We're all in that cycle.
Enjoy the truck.
One thing I have come to appreciate through joining this forum is the differences among Ford dealers. I found a good one through trial and error--didn't like the way I was treated at the first one I tried, but the second one was much better, and I have been with them ever since, six years now! Glad that the dealer in question here took responsibility for the situation and made it right!

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I'm glad that you have a stand up dealer who is looking out for you. Would like to see pictures once you get it back.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
My concern is maybe trivial. In threads addressing detailing our trucks, one thing was pointed out that they are sent out of Wayne MI via rail and inevitably get iron oxide all over. If it isn't completely cleaned off it can lead to some degradation and painting over it could be no bueno. I also had a manager at a body shop insinuate the aluminum hood would likely deteriorate since they had experienced it with similarly built Explorers. Not sure if that might be the same with the tailgate?

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Yes, the Service Manager seems to be a stand up guy and I appreciate it. When I went back to talk to him he said he had already "battled" with Ford on the warranty coverage and had already arranged for a new loaner truck.
Once the issue was pointed out it is really easy to see, of course. I tried to get photos but it is hard to see in them.
Since you liked the 2019 Ingot silver, perhaps you could have convicted them you like the 2020 Iconic silver better and paint the entire truck in the darker color! Per the color poll, Silver is the least desired for some reason. For those that have it or soon(?) will have it, its great. My 2020 Iconic silver with the Sport package, will be ordered soon.

Glad everything turned out well for you.

OP
OP
Ace Holliday

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My concern is maybe trivial. In threads addressing detailing our trucks, one thing was pointed out that they are sent out of Wayne MI via rail and inevitably get iron oxide all over. If it isn't completely cleaned off it can lead to some degradation and painting over it could be no bueno. I also had a manager at a body shop insinuate the aluminum hood would likely deteriorate since they had experienced it with similarly built Explorers. Not sure if that might be the same with the tailgate?
Iron Oxide? I don't think any professional body shop would paint over an unprepped surface. How many years has Ford been painting aluminum body panels? Pretty sure they have worked the bugs out of any paint bonding issues.
I am not concerned.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Since you liked the 2019 Ingot silver, perhaps you could have convicted them you like the 2020 Iconic silver better and paint the entire truck in the darker color! Per the color poll, Silver is the least desired for some reason. For those that have it or soon(?) will have it, its great. My 2020 Iconic silver with the Sport package, will be ordered soon.

Glad everything turned out well for you.
I haven't seen the Iconic Silver, but I will say, the Ingot Silver is beautiful in person. :)

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I purchased my new 2019 XLT Super Crew in the Silver Ingot color about three weeks ago. It was a leftover and I got a good deal on it.
There were a couple of small dings that the dealership was going to fix. Really minor and any paintless dent guy could easily make it right.
Well, they called and wanted me to come back and talk to the service manager. I was a little confused.
The repair guy noticed that the tailgate and back half of the truck got a light coat of paint and you can see the primer. It is only an inch or two up from the bottom edge. I am amazed I did not notice it. The lighting has to be just right to see it. Any other color of paint would be super noticeable.
Anyway, the truck goes to the body shop this Monday. They will have it all week. The plan is to paint the truck from the front doors back. All under warranty of course. And they will provide a new truck for me to drive in the interim.
This Ford store has a top notch body shop so I am not concerned. Just a little bummed that a defect like this could get by Ford QA.
Having the truck a week , did they say they were stripping the paint off the panels before painting ? That would be best because extra thick is not great .

OP
OP
Ace Holliday

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Having the truck a week , did they say they were stripping the paint off the panels before painting ? That would be best because extra thick is not great .
It does suck that body shops take forever. Last year my wife's car got bumped from behind at a traffic light. Took a week to paint and replace the bumper skin.
My Ford Store has a top rated body shop. I'll trust the experts to do what they do as far as the paint job goes. I am an expert, but not an auto body expert.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
the paint on mine is not very durable, the front is a rock-chip magnet. I'm at 11k now. My guy at the stealership told me 50-60k is a good time to trade for max dollars. Might just do that, at least consider it. Much past that and I'll end up keeping it over 100k. Not gonna dump a lot of bucks in it.
Sponsored