My headlights suck

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Even the Lariat LEDs are rated as “Marginal” by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). Just a step above a poor rating. The difference is that the LED lights are whiter and give a clearer view. The problem is that Ford (and manufacturers in general) have failed to provide adequate lighting for visibility and safety and the owners are then forced to make aftermarket modifications to improve visibility that should have been built in.

Yes, they are plug and play except for a separate cable/wire for the DRL/Turn Signal lights that connects from the main harness to the battery. You can make the turn signal flash either solid or sequential. There was no programming required in Forscan.

1700518009346.jpeg
I've got GTR Carbide LEDs that are similar to the Vland, and I did not need the harness when I enabled the LED DRL in forscan (I think that was the setting). Testd with/without and was able to get normal DRL behavior without the harness.
Sponsored

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I've got GTR Carbide LEDs that are similar to the Vland, and I did not need the harness when I enabled the LED DRL in forscan (I think that was the setting). Testd with/without and was able to get normal DRL behavior without the harness.
I almost went with the GTR carbide lights before I bought the Vland. They appear very similar. What has been your experience with the GTR’s?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I am sure I could benefit from improved forward lighting. That said, I have no real reason to complain about the stock lights on my '21 XLT, except for the fact I wish the auto high beams worked before it gets really dark. Driving at dusk and dawn when you need to make out critters on the road, the auto headlights come on, but the auto high beams do not. It has to be really dark. Really aggravating.
Sure I could turn off auto lights, but I would surely forget and not turn them back on. Potentially leaving my lights on when I park. Thus it gets really annoying always manually turning on highs when I need them, then having to hit the switch twice to turn them back on after passing an oncoming car.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Also, I try to avoid any mods that could potentially be a reason to get pulled over.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I almost went with the GTR carbide lights before I bought the Vland. They appear very similar. What has been your experience with the GTR’s?
They have been great, but I did not have a great experience installing. I purchased "used - like new" that were returns, but apparently multiple sets I received had broken adjusters (probably why they were returned honestly). This install is so obnoxious that you aren't going to spend 5 hours installing only to go "oh i dont like them I think."

I'm not sure if they are just prone to failure, or very low failure rate and I was buying the broken ones. Once i got a good set they have been great. Having said that, I did get good at tearing apart the front end & installing. 4-5 hours down to 1.5.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I'm sure no one in here runs a single item on their modified ranger that isn't DOT approved.

I think the factory LEDs in some cars are way too bright too. I've been tempted to flash an on coming car an decided not to an when they pass you see it's just their regular beams.
unless im buy certain safety items DOT approved means not satisfactory performance lol.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I try to avoid any mods that could potentially be a reason to get pulled over.
I’ve passed countless LEOs with my LED headlight conversion with DD amber fogs on (my night SOP) and never got the slightest attention…

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I’ve passed countless LEOs with my LED headlight conversion with DD amber fogs on (my night SOP) and never got the slightest attention…
I got pulled over for having an LED license plate frame on my Harley. There are also tons of vehicles running around with too much tint and never get pulled over. But guess who got pulled over, me! In a previous vehicle that was barely over the limit for tint. Didn't get a ticket in either case, but you just never know.

TechEditor

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Software Tester
Vehicle Showcase
The stock QI light bulbs do suck! I replaced the high beams with GTR Ultra 2's. Noticeably brighter and no one has flashed me because the LED bulbs utilize the stock beam pattern. As seen here:

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Those GTRs look interesting.
So I work nights and with the time change, it was really noticeable how dim the lights are. As I'm at work when its dark, and I really don't leave the house at night when I'm home. I took a few pics to show from the inside the truck how shitty these lights are. Funny thing when I do forget to cut off the brights, I rarely get flashed as they suck as well.

I'm not spending big bucks to replace the whole light assembly. I may go with the silver stars for now. I did run LED bulbs in the fogs of my prior f 150 and that made a huge difference in driving. I might go that route.

And I understand the LED thing being super bright. I have approaching cars with them and it can be difficult to see ahead.

Now I have another issue with the heat I need to get looked at....😕 Just when I think I like this truck it proves me wrong.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
unless im buy certain safety items DOT approved means not satisfactory performance lol.
The strip street caged mustang I had had harnesses. They were not DOT approved, they were far better.

I was just pointing out this is a website pretty much dedicated to changing and customizing our trucks an someone throws the DOT thing out. There's a whole thread on removing the muffler, which makes it illegal to operate on a public road. People are selective about what crosses the line

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Those GTRs look interesting.
So I work nights and with the time change, it was really noticeable how dim the lights are. As I'm at work when its dark, and I really don't leave the house at night when I'm home. I took a few pics to show from the inside the truck how shitty these lights are. Funny thing when I do forget to cut off the brights, I rarely get flashed as they suck as well.

I'm not spending big bucks to replace the whole light assembly. I may go with the silver stars for now. I did run LED bulbs in the fogs of my prior f 150 and that made a huge difference in driving. I might go that route.

And I understand the LED thing being super bright. I have approaching cars with them and it can be difficult to see ahead.

Now I have another issue with the heat I need to get looked at....😕 Just when I think I like this truck it proves me wrong.
Here's a pretty informative video on the GTR's, i have these installed on the low beams.

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
I've stopped reacting to other drivers who lights are too bright. I don't even bother flashing my high beams at them or anything. They just blind me more with their hyper xenon halogon lazer beam high beams and bambi mode concert light show.
I'm old enough to know I struggle with night vision and the other assh*les who think their ability to see 3000 feet ahead of them on a street lit highway outweighs my need to see at all. You're not running the Dakar rally at night. I'm just trying to get home without dying.
Add in lift kits and not making sure your lights are aimed properly, is just another assh*le thing to do. Stock lighting is sufficient. But people want to blast down back roads exceeding the speed limit and want the lighting to see deer so far ahead they can stop, back up, do a u-turn, set up the tripod and snipe the deer and still have a mile before the offending deer would be a problem for a collision.
The all about me generation is taking over. Everyone wants more.
I'm happy for you guys with super bright lights who can see for miles.
I cant see for shit when you blind me so expect me to veer into your path. Hope its worth it.

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
for reference, in Canada there is a law on how bright your lights can be. I candela is as it sounds, the brightness of 1 candle.
So you get a 300 candle birthday cake to drive by legally.

1700657422441.png

don't ask for conversions to other reference points such as lux and lumens. those get so confusing with distance requirements etc. I'm just simply pointing out that there is a limit by which the police can enforce too bright of headlights. It can be a danger to others, even if it benefits you in those short sighted goals. (pun intended)