Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Opinion On:
Aiming helps, but I still think the light spectrum is too high for all LED headlights.
Opinion Off:

I'm scheduled for an eye exam and will be getting new eye glasses this week. I am going to ask about the possibility of getting a pair polarized in yellow.
  • Pilots have polarized flight glasses,
  • Techies and computer users have glasses that block the blue spectrum reducing eye strain
  • Maybe drivers need yellow polarized shades for night driving.
I've had worse hair brained ideas.

I'll let you know how it works out :)
I feel like I read a while back that those yellow tinted glasses or visors are dangerous as they decrease your night vision. Can't remember if people felt they helped the glare at all.
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Wow. Just watched a video I found. That is an annoyingly involved process. Without a garage that will be for me an all day, better weather project.

But it is plug and play; no reprogramming necessary?

Thanks for the eBay link. 👍
Plug and Play is not entirely correct, you will still have to make changes in Forscan for them to work correctly

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Just buy a Lariat with LED projectors already built-in. Then the Neanderthals who hate you because you want whiter, brighter light from an LED to see better can't yell at you and call you a "prick".
Even the Lariat LEDs are rated as “Marginal” by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). Just a step above a poor rating. The difference is that the LED lights are whiter and give a clearer view. The problem is that Ford (and manufacturers in general) have failed to provide adequate lighting for visibility and safety and the owners are then forced to make aftermarket modifications to improve visibility that should have been built in.
Wow. Just watched a video I found. That is an annoyingly involved process. Without a garage that will be for me an all day, better weather project.

But it is plug and play; no reprogramming necessary?

Thanks for the eBay link. 👍
Yes, they are plug and play except for a separate cable/wire for the DRL/Turn Signal lights that connects from the main harness to the battery. You can make the turn signal flash either solid or sequential. There was no programming required in Forscan.

1700518009346.jpeg

Last edited:

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not just yours 🤬😂 The other night I drove 20 miles with my brights on and never got a FU flash. Looking at Morimoto. Saw them on sale somewhere recently for $1120.00.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I read a while back that those yellow tinted glasses or visors are dangerous as they decrease your night vision. Can't remember if people felt they helped the glare at all.
I think amber is illegal as primary headlamp...

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Clarification - I am not talking amber. I am talking the 3700K-4300K light spectrum of incandescent, halogen, and HID bulbs vs LED in the 5000K- 6500K light spectrum.

Equivalent lumen output, but in the 3700-4300 light spectrum.

Last edited:

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Opinion On:
Aiming helps, but I still think the light spectrum is too high for all LED headlights.
Opinion Off:

I'm scheduled for an eye exam and will be getting new eye glasses this week. I am going to ask about the possibility of getting a pair polarized in yellow.
  • Pilots have polarized flight glasses,
  • Techies and computer users have glasses that block the blue spectrum reducing eye strain
  • Maybe drivers need yellow polarized shades for night driving.
I've had worse hair brained ideas.

I'll let you know how it works out :)
Yellow lenses work well...........check out Orange lenses........they turn the night into day!

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Even the Lariat LEDs are rated as “Marginal” by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). Just a step above a poor rating. The difference is that the LED lights are whiter and give a clearer view. The problem is that Ford (and manufacturers in general) have failed to provide adequate lighting for visibility and safety and the owners are then forced to make aftermarket modifications to improve visibility that should have been built in.

Yes, they are plug and play except for a separate cable/wire for the DRL/Turn Signal lights that connects from the main harness to the battery. You can make the turn signal flash either solid or sequential. There was no programming required in Forscan.

1700518009346.jpeg
I've had BOTH a 2019 XLT and now a 2022 Lariat, so I sort of know what I'm talking about when I say the LEDs on the Lariat are INFINITELY better than the stock halogens that were on the XLT. That yellow, dim light that came from those halogens was so awful, the first thing I did was change those out for LEDs. Some institute can say whatever it likes. My eyes can see the difference. The visibility from the all white LEDs in the headlights AND fog lamps is superior by far. Whiter light allows the human eye to pick out more detail of objects it's shining on. And it certainly makes the truck look more classy, too, having headlights and fog lamps color-matched with the same white light.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
As it should be. Having amber headlights would be awful. The visibility on the street would be horrendous. Details would be almost non-existent. The only thing they'd be any good at is visibility on DUSTY dirty/gravel roads.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I've had BOTH a 2019 XLT and now a 2022 Lariat, so I sort of know what I'm talking about when I say the LEDs on the Lariat are INFINITELY better than the stock halogens that were on the XLT. That yellow, dim light that came from those halogens was so awful, the first thing I did was change those out for LEDs. Some institute can say whatever it likes. My eyes can see the difference. The visibility from the all white LEDs in the headlights AND fog lamps is superior by far. Whiter light allows the human eye to pick out more detail of objects it's shining on. And it certainly makes the truck look more classy, too, having headlights and fog lamps color-matched with the same white light.
I am not disagreeing with you. The Lariat LEDs are far better than the dim XLT Halogens, my eyes also saw the difference and that’s why I got rid of the halogens for LEDs. First just LED bulbs and later LED Projector assembly's. But nevertheless, Im just saying that both the OEM lights were still rated marginal by IIHS overall for light output, measured by lux, and the projection distances. This factors in to our insurance rates. Given the choice, I would certainly opt for the Lariat LED’s, no doubt. However, replacement Lariat LEDs are prohibitively expensive and that’s where the aftermarket LED bulbs or whole LED assembly’s come into play. They do make a noticeable difference and they are indeed far superior. Thats why there are so many aftermarket light choices available.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so i tried to do the yellow lense at night thing. i got the lightest tint of yellow possible and it did make a difference but not enough to be worth the trouble. i was told that a bit more tint or darker amber yellow would be better but then the transmission of light is reduced so kind of a catch 22.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Although I like my factory LEDs it would be a great experiment to be able to personally try the aftermarket options in the truck to see myself if any of them are superior to the other as far as light output. Visually to the eye, vs Lux data promoting their specific brand.
I drive mostly at night on a dark country road (hilly) with lots of deer , coons etc.
This is why LEDs were so important to having with my new truck.
my previous car - halos with silver star , top of the line bulbs.
They sucked - did hit a deer in that car.
With any truck, you are sitting higher than any car, even with halo’s you are somewhat blinding other drivers, I hated having a truck behind me in that cat - always had to flip mirror up.

so when you add LED bulbs or light assemblies to a truck - it does affect a car drivers vision.
So the trick is to find the perfect spot for adjustment- that works for you and is acceptable to the other driver, I know that no matter what you have installed, you will still be flashed from time to time for the mere fact - you are driving a truck.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm sure no one in here runs a single item on their modified ranger that isn't DOT approved.

I think the factory LEDs in some cars are way too bright too. I've been tempted to flash an on coming car an decided not to an when they pass you see it's just their regular beams.
Sponsored