TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my ranger for about a month and a half and the auto start/stop feature has always been enabled. I don't really mind it that much although I know it drives others crazy. Well I noticed this past week it wasn't working. Now I have a button that I can enable or disable it, and I did so to see if it would start working again but nada. Not so much that I needed it but more because it concerns me when something suddenly stops working. So tonight my wife and I were driving to dinner and I was telling her about it and wanted her to look it up in the manual. I disabled, enabled and came to numerous stops and it still wasn't working. Well lo and behold later in the evening it suddenly starts working again. I have no idea why it stopped nor started again, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any guesses.

Edit: I just noticed another similar thread to mine after I posted this so mods can delete if needed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Defroster on, low battery voltage, ac max, or sometimes it just has a mind of it's own. Go enjoy your steak.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
If you go to the fuel economy menu on the instrument panel and scroll to near the bottom it has the current operating mode of the auto start/stop. If you have anything plugged into the 110v outlet, or if the battery is a bit low it won’t shut the engine off. Also the obvious things like cold engine, A/C or heat demand, or high electrical demand will prevent it from stopping the engine.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
The ASS on my other vehicle stopped working several months ago. However, no other problems have shown up. Since I'm one of those that can't get used to the thing (re: old), I've never had it checked. Keep us updated if you find the solution, or problem.

Last edited:

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Mine was doing that, too. It finally stopped when I unplugged my wireless charging plate from the 110 outlet. I was about to take it back to the dealership to have ASS looked at, but I figured it out

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the heat going some but none of the other criteria. It seems to be working pretty consistently now.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've had the heat going some but none of the other criteria. It seems to be working pretty consistently now.
It's possible the voltage just dropped enough to disable it and when it was juiced back up re-enabled.

Last edited:

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Mine was doing that, too. It finally stopped when I unplugged my wireless charging plate from the 110 outlet. I was about to take it back to the dealership to have ASS looked at, but I figured it out
This is why @AzScorpion says to put a night light in the outlet. Any other drain on the system will cause the ASS to inactivate.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta love all these problems. Just imagine how cool it would be if that wretched button wasn't even there. I wonder how many other things in my truck are answers to questions no one is asking...

Last edited:

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Gotta love all these problems. Just imagine how cool it would be if that wretched button wasn't even there. I wonder how many other things in my truck are answers to questions no one is asking...
I just like to enjoy mine and when something happens that I didn't expect? Woo, mystery. Then I go to the innerwebs. Keeps things exciting.

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just thought I would add that this morning it was off again and then later it was on and there was no heat, AC, or anything plugged in. It was Monday morning though and I'm kind of on again off again as well.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Just thought I would add that this morning it was off again and then later it was on and there was no heat, AC, or anything plugged in. It was Monday morning though and I'm kind of on again off again as well.
Hey Matt,

Also note that selecting “S” mode on your shifter will turn off the Auto Stop/Start (ASS) feature while driving in Sport mode. If you’re switching in and out, you’ll toggle it on and off.

When not in S mode, your truck’s Battery Management System (BMS) is the gate keeper for the ASS. If the BMS determines that the battery needs charging, ASS will be disabled. Anything that draws a lot of power (A/C, Heater Fan, etc.) can affect this.

Some of your truck’s power sources remain on and then power down two hours after you‘ve turned off your truck During that time, anything that draws power can be draining your battery for two hours to the point where ASS is disabled when you get back in the next day but comes back on after driving around and charging the battery for a while. Little things like security system and the truck’s computer system draw very little And shouldn’t drain the battery enough.

So, if you’ve installed things and are taking power directly from the battery or from a hot lead that times out, or if you have a bunch of things plugged into 12v sockets (dash cam, heated seat pad, USB sockets, etc), or if something like a laptop power adaptor/charger is plugged into the console’s 110v receptacle, they might be contributing to this.

Of course, you might have a bad battery - I did, as have others. With a multi meter, measure your battery’s voltage when you park it for the night, then again when you go to drive it the next day. It will likely be well over 12v and shouldn’t drop much overnight. If it does, monitor and record this for a few days, then visit your dealer and provide those details. They can do a load test on your battery to determine if it needs replacing - should be a warranty item. You don’t want to buy it - it’s a couple hundred dollars.

Good luck!

Last edited: