Mustang GT to Ranger Lariat

JJP SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Good Morning All,

Currently searching for a new Ranger Lariat Supercab. This will replace both my recently sold DD, 2006 Civic, and to-be-sold toy, 2018 Mustang GT.

I went to a dealer in mid-MA and test drove a 2020 Ranger XLT, Black, Tech, Trailer, FX4, and Black packages. The interior seemed a little bland compared to my car but, a very nice truck it is as it drove nicely.

1597931702821.png

Same dealer also has a 2019 Ranger Lariat, Oxford White, 501A, remote start, running boards, Tech, Trailer, Sport and FX4 packages...

1597931850178.png

Both seem like great buys and I do like the extras of the remote start and running boards of the 19.

Another dealer in eastern MA has a 2020 Lariat, Magnetic, with Tech, Trailer, and FX4 packages for...

1597932007287.png

I test drove that truck and love the Magnetic color. Looks really good on the Ranger.

Pic of my car and that Ranger...

004.jpg

Since I'm leaning towards the Lariats due to bang for the buck and nicer interiors, which of the 2 Lariats appear to be the better buy?

Thanks for your time,
John
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Welcome....I grew up in Western MA (Wilbraham). I say go with which color you like the best, they're both pretty comparable in price. Personally I like the Magnetic and I had a white F 150 when I lived back there and it was a nightmare to keep clean. Between the road grime and the winters it was a PITA but I'm also OCD. lol You can always get aftermarket running boards a lot cheaper if you really want/need them. Good luck and come back and post pictures! Oh, be prepared tp spend a lot more if you're on this forum. The UPS guy will be your new best friend! :LOL:

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
I'd lean towards the 501A pkg - It's more than remote start. This is from the '19 brochure.
If you're not interested in adding an aftermarket audio, the B&O does sound awesome.
And for me, the adaptive cruise was the clincher.

Equipment Group 501A: Remote Start System + B&O Sound System with HD Radio™ and
10 speakers + Adaptive Cruise Control + voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom
capability, and integrated SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link services with 5-year subscription1
+ rain-sensing windshield wipers + windshield wiper de-icer

Any of these are winners, tho. Good Luck! (Nice Mustang. :))

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The 2019 and 2020 rangers are identical I believe. But the features were different/worked around a bit in some packages and trims. And obviously the color options.
Some things I went through:
I personally didn't need all the gadgets in the lariat and the xlt gauges were better IMO, and it was cheaper. Paying for nav is for chumps nowdays, your phone does it 100x better. But sometimes its wrapped up in a package.
You can remote start via ford pass, but obviously its not on the fob unless you buy it.
The Fx4 wasn't worth it to me either, as the base ranger has plenty of skidplates and not real impressed with the "trail mangement".

The only thing I wish I had was the integrated garage door opener.

Good luck. I came from a 2016 Challenger Hellcat, so it was a slight down grade depending on who you ask ?.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry, I can't really contribute much other than that Magnetic is a really nice color for a truck because it hides a lot of dirt. I love my FX4 package too! Especially after swapping over to the Eibach struts, springs, and shocks.

But I couldn't give up my Mustang for a Ranger!!!
2020-04-17 12.29.03.jpg

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I'd lean towards the 501A pkg - It's more than remote start. This is from the '19 brochure.
If you're not interested in adding an aftermarket audio, the B&O does sound awesome.
And for me, the adaptive cruise was the clincher.

Equipment Group 501A: Remote Start System + B&O Sound System with HD Radio™ and
10 speakers + Adaptive Cruise Control + voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom
capability, and integrated SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link services with 5-year subscription1
+ rain-sensing windshield wipers + windshield wiper de-icer

Any of these are winners, tho. Good Luck! (Nice Mustang. :))
Pretty sure the OP is looking at SuperCabs. They unfortunately do not come with the B&O sound system with 501A.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome.... be prepared tp spend a lot more if you're on this forum. The UPS guy will be your new best friend! :LOL:
Also, @AzScorpion has about 97.8% of true marketing genius and can convince you to get any and all objects for your truck..."You want that damper, you need that damper!"....notice that the headlights in his profile truck follow you around the page... until you BUY!! ?

and you never knew you needed it.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Good Morning All,

Currently searching for a new Ranger Lariat Supercab. This will replace both my recently sold DD, 2006 Civic, and to-be-sold toy, 2018 Mustang GT.

I went to a dealer in mid-MA and test drove a 2020 Ranger XLT, Black, Tech, Trailer, FX4, and Black packages. The interior seemed a little bland compared to my car but, a very nice truck it is as it drove nicely.

1597931702821.png

Same dealer also has a 2019 Ranger Lariat, Oxford White, 501A, remote start, running boards, Tech, Trailer, Sport and FX4 packages...

1597931850178.png

Both seem like great buys and I do like the extras of the remote start and running boards of the 19.

Another dealer in eastern MA has a 2020 Lariat, Magnetic, with Tech, Trailer, and FX4 packages for...

1597932007287.png

I test drove that truck and love the Magnetic color. Looks really good on the Ranger.

Pic of my car and that Ranger...

004.jpg

Since I'm leaning towards the Lariats due to bang for the buck and nicer interiors, which of the 2 Lariats appear to be the better buy?

Thanks for your time,
John
It's your dime, man, but if it were me to do all over again, I would always go for the 501A for the B&O, which sounds great, and the remote starting, which turns out to be much more convenient in practice than it sounds on paper, especially on cold mornings or hot afternoons!

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
It's your dime, man, but if it were me to do all over again, I would always go for the 501A for the B&O, which sounds great, and the remote starting, which turns out to be much more convenient in practice than it sounds on paper, especially on cold mornings or hot afternoons!
My AC is not on when I remote start, until I get in the truck and press the start button. Then, the AC comes on and the truck finishes booting. What am I doing wrong? I have a tailgate damper so that makes me man enough to admit that I may be doing something wrong.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My AC is not on when I remote start, until I get in the truck and press the start button. Then, the AC comes on and the truck finishes booting. What am I doing wrong? I have a tailgate damper so that makes me man enough to admit that I may be doing something wrong.
Hey, Earl, there is a whole thread on this, which you can find here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/remote-start-ac-settings.5482/ Long story short, you have to configure it to return to your previous setting upon starting, or to automatically start at a particular setting.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment