Mustang Mach E

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
Has anyone had a chance to drive the new Mach E yet? My wife saw one in person and and is crazy about them. I am a diehard Mustang fan and would love to put her in one as soon as the Ranger is paid off. Of course I'd want the GT version. 480 HP and 634 ft lbs of torque would eat my 66 pony's lunch but I will always have a soft spot for the "original". As long as they continue to produce the traditional Mustang, I have no issues with the Mustang family expanding. I think it'd be pretty cool to open my garage door and see 55 years difference in technology sitting side by side.
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, who did your stroker on the 66?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of those that is not so happy about the Mach-E. To me, it looks like a sporty, but porky, station wagon. Ford is rolling the dice with the notion they can sell these if they brand it with something already established to be exciting. It's a strategic marketing gamble but I can tell you it's already had the effect of "watering down the brand." Ford seems to be doubling down on their gambit with talks they want to further expand on the Mustang brand by adding a smaller Mach-E electric SUV. They want to add more SUVs to the Mustang family.

Is the Mach-E a cool vehicle? YES! In my opinion it is. Is it a Mustang? HELL NO! And I'll tell you up front, I welcome an all-electric or PHEV Mustang. It should be a sporty coupe or fastback. Not an SUV or station wagon, in my opinion.

I fell in love with Mustang a long time ago. I think it was around 1991. My parents were shopping for a new car for my mother and we looking at the Fox body Mustangs, but ended up with a 5.0 Camaro RS. Then my parents traded the Camaro for a 1995 Mustang, in 1994. It was a V6, but it was the new SN95 design, and in my town it was one of the coolest looking cars on the road and it got a lot of attention. In 1998 they traded the V6 for a new 1998 Mustang GT with manual. I learned how to drive a stick just so I could have the opportunity to drive that car. That car was later traded for 2000 GT with an auto. Still a nice car! Fast forward to 2014, and I finally got my own Mustang. I flew from Atlanta to Baltimore to buy a new GT with 6-speed manual, and I still own that car. My parents had moved overseas for several years, but eventually ended up back state-side, and now own a 2016 coupe and 2017 convertible (both V6 cars). My man cave is referred to as "The Mustang Shrine" by my wife and is covered in Mustang stuff.

The point? I love Mustangs. I love the brand and the image. Four door station wagons aren't a part of that image; it just doesn't fit. Mustang's "brand" isn't the Mach-E. I seem to recall GM playing with this type of "brand engineering" and they labeled products as brands that the actual product woefully failed to represent. All of those attempts failed.

Now, here are some images of my beloved Mustang! You can tell it's a real mustang because of the fastback styling and because it only has two doors. ?

Damn I love this car!

vV5SyK5dRM6er-z1aLImxw.jpg

T4feH1eZSNiFAyVIGh91Qg.jpg

qy5UfALdTkqDb-C4Lr9dlg.jpg

jicza5iuTNyq9FnkUOqMNw.jpg

7pcYpbCJRsOekVVTX8It3A.jpg

OP
OP
Azriq

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
Just curious, who did your stroker on the 66?
Shop up in Sacramento by the name of Rex Hutchinson racing engines. The engine was already done when I bought it. Kid had built it as a bracket racer. I finished the interior and swapped the auto to a 5-speed. This is my seventh Mustang over the years.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been crazy about Mustangs. IMO the Dodge Challenger was the only "re-make" that actually captured the retro-look properly. The most recent Mustang re-design just looks like they are trying to be a European sports car. Yes they are fast and nice looking, but they just don't do anything for me. Same line of thought on the Chevy Camaro. When I think muscle car, I want it to look like a muscle car.

I did however think these (SVT Cobra R) were cool looking back in the day;

2000-svt-mustang-cobra-r-for-sale-2.jpg

Now if only I had enough time and money to make a Hellcat engine fit in a Ranger... because I just want to see if it can be done. lol

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been crazy about Mustangs. IMO the Dodge Challenger was the only "re-make" that actually captured the retro-look properly. The most recent Mustang re-design just looks like they are trying to be a European sports car. Yes they are fast and nice looking, but they just don't do anything for me. Same line of thought on the Chevy Camaro. When I think muscle car, I want it to look like a muscle car.

I did however think these (SVT Cobra R) were cool looking back in the day;

2000-svt-mustang-cobra-r-for-sale-2.jpg

Now if only I had enough time and money to make a Hellcat engine fit in a Ranger... because I just want to see if it can be done. lol
Ahhhhhh The Cobra R. One of my most favorites. Funny to think that they are a little under-powered by today's standards. Came "factory" with Eibach suspension and Sparco seats, if I remember correctly. And no stereo! Damn, I want one!

OP
OP
Azriq

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So many variations of Mustangs over the years. I'm still partial to the 1969 Mach 1. Here are my last two ponies.
66pony.JPG
03mach.JPG
03mach1.JPG

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So many variations of Mustangs over the years. I'm still partial to the 1969 Mach 1. Here are my last two ponies.
66pony.JPG
03mach.JPG
03mach1.JPG
A buddy of mine, just north of Sydney Australia has a Red Mach 1, in right hand drive. It's the only one in Australia! He also has a 2013 GT500 and a 2018 GT!

OP
OP
Azriq

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the clearest pic but here is the 66 with his 'lil brother.
garage.PNG

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
^ Glocker above said exactly what I would say.

Sticking the Mustang name on something that isn't a Mustang is very bizarre and very out of touch.
Kinda like the dreadful Mustang II. I like the look of the Mach E, and would probably order one if I were in the market, Mustang or not. E-Toronado?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Kinda like the dreadful Mustang II. I like the look of the Mach E, and would probably order one if I were in the market, Mustang or not. E-Toronado?
Clearly you've never driven one. Mustang II kept the car viable, was the right car for the time, and substantially out sold the previous version. You do know the early Mustangs had economy car Falcon underpinnings. If the Mach-E wasn't an SUV then the coupe would be all electric, and they wouldn't sell very many.
If Ford says it's a Mustang then it's a Mustang.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Clearly you've never driven one. Mustang II kept the car viable, was the right car for the time, and substantially out sold the previous version. You do know the early Mustangs had economy car Falcon underpinnings. If the Mach-E wasn't an SUV then the coupe would be all electric, and they wouldn't sell very many.
If Ford says it's a Mustang then it's a Mustang.
And the Mustang II chassis was derived from the Pinto platform. However well they sold, my first car was a '69 Mustang and the Mustang II was an embarrassing disappointment in comparison. I bought a '75 Camaro when the time came to replace my '69.

OP
OP
Azriq

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice 4-eye. 85 or 86?
Massive disappointment with destroying the Mustang name. Also a long time Mustang guy here. I get mad just thinking about putting the Mustang name on a ugly fat 4 door crossover.
758363C8-D0F5-4662-96FB-0B0FEE4A943A.jpeg
Nice 4-eye. 85 or 86?
Sponsored