Misfire on Cyl 1

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
It's in the shop.
Powertrain warranty does not cover coils.

So by the time I get out of there I'm in for $477.39 for a spark plug coil.
Then $265.91 for a spark plug (that had better be all 4 of them).
And they want to do a Fuel Injection Induction cleaning $347.95 <== I might skip.

Currently waiting to call them and figure out what the root cause of the failure was. Because I'm not dropping $713.30 to $1061.25 without some good goddamn intel to go with it.
I'm confused. So they said it's your coil or you are just sort of preparing what the costs will be?

Either way get whatever information you can before agreeing to anything. If they say it's your coil say thanks and go buy your own and replace it. Those prices are crazy I'm not sure where your getting those from. I think we need a missing piece of the puzzle explaining maybe a conversation you had and what they said.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'm confused. So they said it's your coil or you are just sort of preparing what the costs will be?

Either way get whatever information you can before agreeing to anything. If they say it's your coil say thanks and go buy your own and replace it. Those prices are crazy I'm not sure where your getting those from. I think we need a missing piece of the puzzle explaining maybe a conversation you had and what they said.
It's in the shop.
Ford texted me a link.
Link said:
$477.39 for a spark plug coil.
$265.91 for a spark plug.
$347.95 for a Fuel injection cleaning and top end decarbonization.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
#1 is in front. Components fail. Sometimes there is no visible reason. It happens. Lots of manufacturers including high end manufacturers have had coil over plug failures.

An ignition coil should be covered under 8/80 emissions warranty if you fall under that.
That's apparently the case here.
I called them yesterday for an explanation and they had none - just a bad coil pack.
Tested compression and it held. No leak. Seems like Head Gasket is fine.

I asked about the emissions and they said it's a "consumable" part that does not fall under anything but the 3/36 warranty and that's 200 miles behind me.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I called them yesterday for an explanation and they had none - just a bad coil pack.

I asked about the emissions and they said it's a "consumable" part that does not fall under anything but the 3/36 warranty and that's 200 miles behind me.
Look at page 20 of the emission warranty guide and show it to them. Glad that fixed it.
1680784903640.png

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
I'M ON IT!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

That seems pretty crappy - 200 miles out of warranty on an item that should not have failed.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Look at page 20 of the emission warranty guide and show it to them. Glad that fixed it.
1680784903640.png
I'm looking in the Ford App and not able to find that warranty. I have all of the other warranties but not that one.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I'm looking in the Ford App and not able to find that warranty. I have all of the other warranties but not that one.
I believe the poster is comparing your vehicle miles above the standard warranty coverage, at 200 miles it has been known for some oem's to "goodwill" the repair or some portion of it . If you bought the vehicle at the dealer and have it serviced there they should have some motivation to help with a repair bill that I and others feel is excessive. Never hurts to ask .

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
It's in the shop.
Ford texted me a link.
Link said:
Ok gotcha.

I know we all have different budgets and different levels of mechanical aptitude so I understand one person can't afford that and another person could and another person could afford it but would rather do the work themselves.

So another option is to pay the diagnostic fee of $200 or whatever, buy the coil and even a new spark plug, change it yourself and save hundreds. But if you would rather pay and have it done and drive home safe and sound, I'm not one to judge.

There seems to be enough support on this thread to get you set.

Edit: keep us updated

21Blackout

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Warranty Administrator for FMC

Send me your vin and exact milage and the date it went into the shop that coil should be covered the plug is a consumable.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Got to Service, then warranty.
1680798545003.png

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Send me your vin and exact milage and the date it went into the shop that coil should be covered the plug is a consumable.
Curious why the coil would be covered outside of the 3yr/36k warranty and if it is what is it's coverage. I agree it should be though, but will it be. Not thrilled when you see posts indicating that Ford also only covers certain emissions components for 2yr/24k (federally mandated) less than the bumper to bumper stuff, but likely no different from most other makers. Not ragging on Ford as I've had nothing break on mine in over 3 yrs of ownership except push pins when changing oil.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Agreed... Theres a lot that doesn't make sense and the Service Advisor isn't real good about returning calls.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc