MBRP Black series cat back exhaust

LIMITY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The OEM System with the flex coupling was probably not for structural reasons but NVH is more than likely. The flex coupling is quite expensive so the development engineers must have had a huge problem. Most program managers would not agree to a flex coupling unless the program was in dire straits. Just my opinion..think structurally you are okay. The problem is that the natural frequency resonance is the square root of the stiffness over the mass. You are fighting this square root radical which means that large changes in stiffness, for example, move the needle very little. For example lets say you increased stiffness from 2 to 4...a 200% increase in stiffness take the square root of 2 is 1.41 and 4 is 2 so comparing 1.4 to 2...the needle only moved about 14%. The flex coupling is a huge reduction in system stiffness so the gains in NVH can be quite large if needed for the program.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
*Takes out calculator, writes BOOBS*

Yep, his math checks out.
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
They sell universal flex couplers which could be added I guess if you really wanted to.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In my 58 years on this planet I have yet to hear a great sounding 4 cylinder... but the stock exhaust on the 2019 Rangers is pretty darn close.

But then again I'm a child of the 60's / 70's.... not a fan of the tuner motor sound.

Here's clip...

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
In my 58 years on this planet I have yet to hear a great sounding 4 cylinder... but the stock exhaust on the 2019 Rangers is pretty darn close.

But then again I'm a child of the 60's / 70's.... not a fan of the tuner motor sound.

Here's clip...

Can I get my RANGER to sound like that?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Here's clip...

There is NOTHING like a V8..... Well, maybe a well tuned V12.

But 4 cylinders will never sound that good, IMO.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It sounds great but as a powersports mechanic and knowing their snowmobile exhaust quality I'd never buy an MBRP product. Their snowmobile mufflers or "cans" are advertised as 5+ hp but in reality they are just straight through loud as hell and always lose hp. Usually at least a 2 hp loss.
However, maybe their auto products are better and all that really matters is that you enjoy it!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
What makes car/truck culture unique is that we can make our vehicle our own custom thing. I mean so far it runs better then then stock and yes Ford designs things to be optimal but doesnt mean there isnt room for improvement. I like it so far, no vibrations at all. I appreciate the feed back though I'm open to it
I completely agree with both Phil and Mauro! Our truck culture allows us each to find the combination of time-of-purchase accessories and aftermarket customization that suit our needs and tastes! For my part, I totally get the combination of improved looks and sounds that customized exhaust systems bring, but it is just not for me! (O.K., maybe just the Rhino black exhaust tip--those are pretty cool looking!) I want my Ranger Lariat to have the quietest cabin possible so that I can enjoy my music from the B & O system that I paid extra for at purchase. With the Ranger's very quiet cabin and its technologies, I can listen to all my favorite music blue-toothed via my iPhone without cranking it up--unless I want to!

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
two years later thanks for your video

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I traded her in a month ago ? got a 2021 F150 fx4 now
I went from ordering a maverick to ordering a lighting f150 and now have a Ranger XLT FX2 on order which I think will fit me a lot better as long my bank account and self control can be contained.

I like the video cause I go back and forth of getting someone to put the exhaust in at the same time I get the level (I for sure do not want to tackle that for my first time) but now I think I can actually do it and keep the cussing to a minimum.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I went from ordering a maverick to ordering a lighting f150 and now have a Ranger XLT FX2 on order which I think will fit me a lot better as long my bank account and self control can be contained.

I like the video cause I go back and forth of getting someone to put the exhaust in at the same time I get the level (I for sure do not want to tackle that for my first time) but now I think I can actually do it and keep the cussing to a minimum.
Wow. That's a huge leap from a Maverick to an F150 Lightning. $$$

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. That's a huge leap from a Maverick to an F150 Lightning. $$$
actually I said that backwards. it was the lightning first (really it was the mach e first but then they came out with issues and the look wasn't that great) then the maverick

still holding out for this truck from my youth though

Texaco_1985.jpg

OP
OP

Mauro O

First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Yeah I loved the Ranger don’t get me wrong but I wanted something bigger for the future family and the comfort is amazing. I do miss the ranger. If I had the money I would’ve kept it. If you are looking for truck parts I recommend stage3motors and American trucks. Also CJ pony parts off road.
Sponsored