First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is the part where Frenchy doesn't respond and disappears until the next time 5 star comes up and continues to peddle his crap.

I am not sure why the moderator deleted part of my post. What else do you call someone who knows the truth, has been quoted and told countless times, but keeps lying about it? A pathological liar.
But why is he wrong? He's only stating that there is an adjustment that has to be made for those living in higher altitudes. You're saying this is already done but it's not. The Livernois tune self adjusts so you never have to worry about it where with this 5Star tune you need to tell them upfront. I'm not sure why you have to call him a pathological liar because one phone call to 5Star will verify this. Now if you're just going into higher elevations once in a while there's probably no need for this but if you live in an area like CO or UT I think it's best to know this before we have another "I think I threw a rod" thread.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
So you live where it is a much lower elevation and then take a slow drive up to pikes peak and claim you are ok? Lol at low speed it wont matter. Its at HWY speed that it matters. Also if you talk to 5Star they have no problem informing you that if you live in the high elevation and deal with it on a constant day to day basis they will make the necessary adjustments to the tune.
I drove mine from sea level (Houston TX where I live) to 14K feet and back to sea level on the 5* tune with not a single solitary issue. Even when running the lower octane fuel in CO. (91 vs 93) the truck performed flawlessly on the 5* 93 performance tune. I have run this tune for 10K miles now and the only issue I had was the transmission shifting was too aggressive after flashing it but that was resolved by having the dealer top it off (1.5-2 qts low from the factory) and my resetting the transmission adaptive system with Forscan. I cannot fault 5* for that since it was doing that when I bought it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
What happens if you run 87 on a 90 or 93 tune?
While it's not advised, the system will adjust for it by backing off peak boost pressure, spark advancement as well as possible injector pulse width. The same it will do if you run 93 on a stock tune and will see a nice little bump in power, you'd lose some power on 87 with a 93 tune. It'd be like putting a bad tank of gas in and the system will adapt to it fairly quickly. Running 87 will result in a loss of power but it wont be the end of the world if you fill a tank or two with 87. Now if it's going to be for a prolonged period of time then switching to the stock tune or a lower octane custom is the best option.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Don’t try to side step the point of my reply. You in fact take a dump on 5 star literally every chance you get regardless of “elevation”. And please, don’t lecture me on elevation, I’m born and raised in Northern Arizona at 7400 feet. I just happen to live in NC now. So are you going to contact 5 star directly?

Perhaps you didn't read my post? I stated for those above 8,000 ft consistently. If you look at the highest elevation for North Carolina ans surrounding states you will notice none will touch(but to get close) to 7,000. The max you will find is just over 6,600. In the Rockies where the highest official city is at 10,152 ft and the highest city 10,361 ft and consinstenly seeing 11,360 ft just to get from one to another on the main road you will see a completely different barometric pressure and far less dense air compared to North and South Carolina(South Carolina barely gets over 3,500 FT BTW). Should I mention that I know EcoBoost owners up here that got 5Star and had to get a "High Elevation tune" just to run correctly? They even fought for it because 5Star didnt want to believe them. Maybe you should have thought about that before thinking its a lie.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
The problem is that frenchy never turns down an opportunity to crap on 5* regardless. even if the shop isn’t asked about, he throws in his two cents and then comes off like he knows better than anyone. That’s my observation
But why is he wrong? He's only stating that there is an adjustment that has to be made for those living in higher altitudes. You're saying this is already done but it's not. The Livernois tune self adjusts so you never have to worry about it where with this 5Star tune you need to tell them upfront. I'm not sure why you have to call him a pathological liar because one phone call to 5Star will verify this. Now if you're just going into higher elevations once in a while there's probably no need for this but if you live in an area like CO or UT I think it's best to know this before we have another "I think I threw a rod" thread.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Don’t try to side step the point of my reply. You in fact take a dump on 5 star literally every chance you get regardless of “elevation”. And please, don’t lecture me on elevation, I’m born and raised in Northern Arizona at 7400 feet. I just happen to live in NC now. So are you going to contact 5 star directly?
Born and raised in Arizona? Explains enough for me. Also I already have contacted them. How do you think I know this information? The fact that you are letting one person upset you so much is hysterical when I am simply giving information to someone while knowing the facts. Will said person stay away from said company just because I said so? Who knows. All I do know is that person can see the information I give them and take the time to decide for themselves.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
he blocked me after his long range fuel tank saga turned out that he wasn't the only one getting test fit, another member stepped up sharing his podium...a badge of honor he clearly wanted to hold so he could elevate himself above those below him.
I guess when I pushed his buttons that he wasn't number one with the company he sold his soul to, it stings a lot, and his option was to remove me from his limited vocabulary.
chris-pratt-excited.gif

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers

Hey everyone,

First time posting but I’m having a hard time deciding where to spend my money in making our trucks as quick / reliable as possible. I’m sort of on the fence between selling my Ranger and buying a raptor or keeping it and cashing in on that power to weight ratio we can achieve with our trucks.

Ive read a ton of threads about tuning and so on. But what I’m wondering about in this thread is what whp numbers are y’all putting up with bolt ons (exhaust, tune, intake, maybe intercooler). I thought about going with the turbo upgrade that stage3 has but I’m not necessarily ready to go into the hole and ruining reliability if I can help it.
I’ve seen the dyno thread but am surprised at some of the numbers, I see rousch has their rangers pushing some numbers in the 300s and was curious if we could achieve the same thing without the rousch stickers.
Thanks in advance!
Personally I am going to go with the Ford tune for peace of mind, I tow a lot. Maybe a CAI and some sort of exhaust (maybe not, like the sleeper aspect). Planning on just setting my truck up with lights and other items that make off-road and camping easier. Maybe if I didn't tow so much I would look at the other tuners more.

I believe this was on the Ford tune or maybe even bone stock, but watching this video made me feel comfortable with my decision.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package

Personally I am going to go with the Ford tune for peace of mind, I tow a lot. Maybe a CAI and some sort of exhaust (maybe not, like the sleeper aspect). Planning on just setting my truck up with lights and other items that make off-road and camping easier. Maybe if I didn't tow so much I would look at the other tuners more.

I believe this was on the Ford tune or maybe even bone stock, but watching this video made me feel comfortable with my decision.

Such a nice truck. The mods on it are north of 20k and could easily hit 30k.

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Hey everyone,

First time posting but I’m having a hard time deciding where to spend my money in making our trucks as quick / reliable as possible. I’m sort of on the fence between selling my Ranger and buying a raptor or keeping it and cashing in on that power to weight ratio we can achieve with our trucks.

Ive read a ton of threads about tuning and so on. But what I’m wondering about in this thread is what whp numbers are y’all putting up with bolt ons (exhaust, tune, intake, maybe intercooler). I thought about going with the turbo upgrade that stage3 has but I’m not necessarily ready to go into the hole and ruining reliability if I can help it.
I’ve seen the dyno thread but am surprised at some of the numbers, I see rousch has their rangers pushing some numbers in the 300s and was curious if we could achieve the same thing without the rousch stickers.
Thanks in advance!
This may not be helpful, but if I was looking for "big" numbers, I would be finding a good Ford loving tuning shop and get a proper dyno tune. I would never run a flash performance tune without logging some roadway runs and sending the logs to whatever handheld tuner company you are using.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Oh I am sure the mods are well over $50k, I am guessing an APG kit installed is over $20k alone
Yea however that's not an APG kit. This truck had the front long travel retaining 4wd and the rear links with bed cage all made at kibbetech. Kibbetech is very expensive because they have a lot of machined aluminum parts.
Here's a link to someone describing the truck, https://www.drivingline.com/articles/2020-ford-ranger-rtr-fun-runner/
This is the coolest ranger build so far, but for that money I would be pushing more than 15 and 18 inches of travel.
For comparison, the gen 3 raptor has:
With 35's: 14 and 15 inches of travel
With 37's: 13 and 14 inches of travel
I still don't know what gen raptor OP was referring to because the gen 3 has a 5 link which is superior to leaves. Unless you have the rare super dialed leaf spring truck.
Sponsored