First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4X4, FX4, Black package
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I have noticed that the trans always skips 2nd gear as I come to a stop. And further, regularly, and I think only when it's not fully warmed up, is that it lurches, gallops or surges when I come to a stop and it finally hits 1st. It's almost like it wants to run away from me at the red light/stop sign. It's to the point that I'm thinking it's a safety issue beyond just being annoying. Anyone else getting this behavior?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Mine likes to do it hot or cold. I have gotten so used to it that it doesn't bother me. I also like to have the gear indicator up when driving because I like to see what it is doing in certain conditions. If you pay attention more you will notice that it skips more gears on the low end on moderate acceleration because it doesn't need to hit every gear vs when you stomp on it or are in sport mode where you want the best power band possible. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
Mine likes to do it hot or cold. I have gotten so used to it that it doesn't bother me. I also like to have the gear indicator up when driving because I like to see what it is doing in certain conditions. If you pay attention more you will notice that it skips more gears on the low end on moderate acceleration because it doesn't need to hit every gear vs when you stomp on it or are in sport mode where you want the best power band possible. Hope this helps.
Thanks.....I see there's a TSB about rough idle and shifting when cold. I need to see about that I think.

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks.....I see there's a TSB about rough idle and shifting when cold. I need to see about that I think.
I got the TSB fix but still have the same symptom you provided. I’ve just gotten used to it at this point.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I got the TSB fix but still have the same symptom you provided. I’ve just gotten used to it at this point.
Ugh...thanks for letting me know. I guess I can try letting it warm up more, or just never stopping. :)

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ugh...thanks for letting me know. I guess I can try letting it warm up more, or just never stopping. :)
Yea it kind of sucks, kind of embarrassing too... but yup, don’t matter if it’s hot or cold it still happens at least for me. I was out of town and the wife finally drove it cuz her car battery died and even she was saying the brakes were weird at lower speeds, but I knows shes referring to that odd lurch when coming to a stop.

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It does suck, and it happens to me, hot or cold. Seem it is normal behavior. I wish in normal driving, it did not grab lower gear as aggressively, in tow haul mode, fine, or sport, no issues, but it is irritating in regular driving. I want to go drive an F150 and see if this occurs, never feels right to me.

I would just like to be able to roll smoothly to a stop using my brakes, and have it be in the right gear without feeling anything.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
It does suck, and it happens to me, hot or cold. Seem it is normal behavior. I wish in normal driving, it did not grab lower gear as aggressively, in tow haul mode, fine, or sport, no issues, but it is irritating in regular driving. I want to go drive an F150 and see if this occurs, never feels right to me.

I would just like to be able to roll smoothly to a stop using my brakes, and have it be in the right gear without feeling anything.
Ditto for me. It may be 'normal', but it's not 'normal'. I'm heading out for the first time today in a minute. I'm going to try keeping it in 'S' for this trip to see if that has any bearing. Originally, I thought it was the wonky 'auto-engine stop' thing kicking in, but I think now that's just a different annoyance. :( I like the truck very well, but the trans is very different than anything I've driven.

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine does it and it irritates me to no end. I don’t like it downshifting thru the gears as I’m stopping. Been driving 60 years and I’ve never driven an automatic that does this.

And also, I think that at the very end it unlocks the torque converter, effectively letting the truck run free making it lurch forward before he can add more braking. This is what startles the driver. I keep thinking I’m going to run into someone and copilot takes the opportunity to criticize my driving.

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mine does it and it irritates me to no end. I don’t like it downshifting thru the gears as I’m stopping. Been driving 60 years and I’ve never driven an automatic that does this.

And also, I think that at the very end it unlocks the torque converter, effectively letting the truck run free making it lurch forward before he can add more braking. This is what startles the driver. I keep thinking I’m going to run into someone and copilot takes the opportunity to criticize my driving.
Yup EXACTLY! Honestly, just glad I’m not the only one. Thought I just had a bad one or something. I wish there was a way to remedy it, it’s super annoying. Don’t wanna drive in sport or tow all the time.

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I’ve considered taking it to the dealer but I’m pretty sure I know how that will end. I’m hoping enough people notice it and complain that there will be a Fix someday.

I brought this up on another thread and nobody agreed. One guy even said I just didn’t know how to drive.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I’ve considered taking it to the dealer but I’m pretty sure I know how that will end. I’m hoping enough people notice it and complain that there will be a Fix someday.

I brought this up on another thread and nobody agreed. One guy even said I just didn’t know how to drive.
I've just had mine about a month and this has bugged me from the start. I'm also glad it's not just me. It's not a solution, but we're not crazy either.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine "clunks" into 1st gear, but only when I am using 'S.' It doesn't do it at any other time.

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Add me to the list. Everyone asks me if I love the new ranger and I say, everything except the transmission. Ford Service manager said he used to experience those symptoms on his F150 few years back with the same tranny. Ford said it was normal. It is the sole reason why I wont buy another unless it is fixed.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list. Everyone asks me if I love the new ranger and I say, everything except the transmission. Ford Service manager said he used to experience those symptoms on his F150 few years back with the same tranny. Ford said it was normal. It is the sole reason why I wont buy another unless it is fixed.
I know this sounds scary but I'm having the same problem and I think my truck stops better after decent acceleration (turbo does some good work). Like it skips more on the way down and gets to first faster . That or I might just be slowing down fast enough to get to 1st before my complete stop anticipating the strange stop.
Sponsored