Lurching into 1st on downshift...

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
The only "real" problem I've had with my very early production '19 was the sync - it wouldn't take voice commands. It wasn't a big deal for me because I don't use voice commands except for the phone and that worked. ...but since it was still under warranty I took it in. When the service advisor moved the truck forward it surged. It had never done that before. I also noted to him the once-in-a-while transmission clunk. They fixed the sync, updating it to the latest and greatest as well as reflashed the ECU for the transmission. I did not change the fluid. After the initial re-learning the transmission seems better, but that is only seat of the pants. In any event the clunk is less frequent, only happening once in awhile under specific conditions, like when slowing from 20-35, off the throttle, then very lightly on the throttle once again. Then - sometimes - a clunk. I can live with it.

As an aside. One thing I really like about driving in sport mode here in the WY mountains, the transmission will automatically shift down for engine braking while on the brakes. This is particularly useful when descending some of our steep hills, although in truth the little 4-cylinder doesn't have much drag, certainly not like a V8.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
As an aside. One thing I really like about driving in sport mode here in the WY mountains, the transmission will automatically shift down for engine braking while on the brakes. This is particularly useful when descending some of our steep hills, although in truth the little 4-cylinder doesn't have much drag, certainly not like a V8.
Totally agree. I use Sport mode when in the mountains also. Sometimes I will take it even further and use the +/- on the gear shift to drop a gear or two for extra braking. I would drive in Sport mode 100% of the time, if the mode would lower the RPMs when cruising a bit more. I like the agressive upshifts and engine braking, but find the RPMs too high when cruising at a steady speed. My turbo Forester is driven almost 100% in Sport mode, and it does what I wish the Ranger would do (be more aggressive, but relax some when at a constant speed.)

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Totally agree. I use Sport mode when in the mountains also. Sometimes I will take it even further and use the +/- on the gear shift to drop a gear or two for extra braking. I would drive in Sport mode 100% of the time, if the mode would lower the RPMs when cruising a bit more. I like the agressive upshifts and engine braking, but find the RPMs too high when cruising at a steady speed. My turbo Forester is driven almost 100% in Sport mode, and it does what I wish the Ranger would do (be more aggressive, but relax some when at a constant speed.)

In sport I've found the transmission upshifts to 9th at about 62 MPH and to 10th at 67MPH (give or take a little ~2,000 RPM @ 70). Don't worry about the RPM. Full synthetic, full warm up every time you start it, and change oil regularly. Your truck will last as long as you normally keep a vehicle and never use oil.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
In sport I've found the transmission upshifts to 9th at about 62 MPH and to 10th at 67MPH (give or take a little ~2,000 RPM @ 70). Don't worry about the RPM. Full synthetic, full warm up every time you start it, and change oil regularly. Your truck will last as long as you normally keep a vehicle and never use oil.
It is more of a gas comsumption thing. Steady speed cruising at 2,400-2,700 RPMs (give or take) vs 2,000 RPMs (or about) is wasting gas. I'd love the aggressiveness of sport mode, but then cruising, relax the RPMs. I may try a tune, but I'd like first hand experience from others.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It is more of a gas comsumption thing. Steady speed cruising at 2,400-2,700 RPMs (give or take) vs 2,000 RPMs (or about) is wasting gas. I'd love the aggressiveness of sport mode, but then cruising, relax the RPMs. I may try a tune, but I'd like first hand experience from others.
Ed I have a Livernois tune and use S mode while up in the mountains. I really like the way you can control your speed going down steep declines in S mode. We were up in Flagstaff and going down to Sedona there's a 2000' elevation drop. we take Oak Creek Canyon Rd which is straight downhill and a lot of twists. I drive that in S and use the +/- all the way down and same for going back up. It's not aggressive at all and it keeps you from riding the brakes all the way down too. It's nice going up because you now have more power right at your foot but not to much where you feel like you're jerking the truck.
Sponsored