1st service nightmare

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
I took my truck in for my complementary 1st maintenance yesterday. Long story short, I popped the hood this morning and the dipstick was unseated from the manifold, and oil has sprayed everywhere.
I called the dealer, and am bringing it back in Monday morning.

any advice on what I should ask for? I know motor oil is extremely corrosive. Should I be worries about gaskets, coil boots, hoses, belts etc?
https://imgur.com/G3oB7Ji
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
It will be fine. Oil is not corrosive. If left a long time it could affect rubber parts I suppose. Why not use a little simple green at the car wash.

is the oil level ok?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Unbelievable... your brand new truck engine bay now looks like that! Exactly why I try to do everything myself that I can.

What's the name and location of the dealership that did this?

Was this the same dealership you bought the truck from?

CharChar Oil All Over Motor.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I took my truck in for my complementary 1st maintenance yesterday. Long story short, I popped the hood this morning and the dipstick was unseated from the manifold, and oil has sprayed everywhere.

any advice on what I should ask for? I know motor oil is extremely corrosive. Should I be worries about gaskets, coil boots, hoses, belts etc?
Hi CC

Have the dealer pressure wash the engine compartment...you should be fine

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

JeffCJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Engine oil isn't particularly corrosive, but I'd definitely make the dealer clean the engine bay.

Reactions: Ric

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
i would avoid the pressure wash. dont want to push any water past the seals, or the connectors. Good soap spray down and a low pressure rinse would be smarter

lord knows we already have enough wonky connector issues going around.
Hi RP,

I agree to a point...the owners manual indicated it is okay to pressure wash...that said you make a good point with the electrical connector concerns!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
As a retiring auto technician soon, what I see coming into the dealerships now, and the trails of oil spill in the parking lot.....all I got to say is God help us. Laziness has run amuck! (or is it that phone that's more important?)
Remember that saying "trust your car to the man who wears the star"? Soon to be few and far between.
With that being said, to be fair, there are a few good one's coming into the field. You just have to find them.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

You dont know......oil is not corrosive.

If anything, wherever the oil is, thats where the rust wont be in 5 years.

Nothing is hurt by oil spray.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You dont know......oil is not corrosive.

If anything, wherever the oil is, thats where the rust wont be in 5 years.

Nothing is hurt by oil spray.
Well then, just cover your entire truck with oil. Let the dirt and filth stick all over it. Yep, That looks great, right Hounddog409?

Are you serious? Would you like this to happen to your brand new truck?

Folks posting responses here need to put themselves in the shoes of the OP.... then reflect on what they would say / do if it was their truck.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Just have the dealership steam clean the motor. Years ago I took my Dodge Ram in to the Dodge dealer to have the transmission flushed. To do the flush they disconnected the lines going to the transmission cooler. They didnā€™t properly seat one of the lines and it popped off. There was transmission fluid everywhere under the hood. After they steam cleaned it, you would not have known that a drop of ATF spilled. In my case I got lucky that the computer shut the transmission down before it was damaged.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Well then, just cover your entire truck with oil. Let the dirt and filth stick all over it. Yep, That looks great, right Hounddog409?

Folks posting responses here need to put themselves in the shoes of the OP.... then reflect on what they would say / do if it was their truck.
Geeze calm your marbles. All he is saying is oil isnā€™t corrosive. It wonā€™t hurt anything

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

Still not corrosive.

And yes, i have coated the entire underbody with a brush and oil. Vehicle lasted over 20 years without rust.

Oils sprayed on metal is not even close to anything worth worrying about.

Yes it was a case of human error. Yes it shouldnt happen.

But to get your panties in a bunch over some oil sprayed if freakin ridiculous.

And to make a statement that motor oil is corrosive is assinine and deserves to be called out.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Still not corrosive.....Oils sprayed on metal is not even close to anything worth worrying about
I never said it was corrosive. You act as if everything under the hood is just metal. Get under the hood with a power washer and you can bet there will be even more issues related to water intrusion / penetration into electrical connections. They even make note of that in the owners manual, see below.

Just have the dealership steam clean the motor.
Hi RP,

I agree to a point...the owners manual indicated it is okay to pressure wash...that said you make a good point with the electrical connector concerns!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Actually the Owners Manual warns about pressure washing the motor and the possible damages that can occur, how you have to cover the battery, power distribution box, air filter, coils, spark plug wires and spark plug well, etc.

And I would be surprised if the dealership does any of that. They'll have the new guy that works at the wash rack pressure wash the motor, and won't cover up anything.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 274 - Cleaning the engine.jpg

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I would use some Simple Green Or Gunk engine cleaner in my driveway with a hose and be done with it.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I never said it was corrosive. You act as if everything under the hood is just metal. Get under the hood with a power washer and you can bet there will be even more issues related to water intrusion / penetration into electrical connections. They even make note of that in the owners manual, see below.

Actually the Owners Manual warns about pressure washing the motor and the possible damages that can occur, how you have to cover the battery, power distribution box, air filter, coils, spark plug wires and spark plug well, etc.

And I would be surprised if the dealership does any of that. They'll have the new guy that works at the wash rack pressure wash the motor, and won't cover up anything.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 274 - Cleaning the engine.jpg
OP stated it was, and that is who i was reaponding too.

As another posted said. Gunk and a garden hose and be done with it.
Sponsored