Looking for recommendations for Upper Control Arms for 2.5"-3" of lift...

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I like the design of the Fabtech UCA. They look stronger where the arms weld up at the ball joint. Are your Fox coilovers the Tuned by Ford Performance or the regular aftermarket Fox 2.0's? I've noticed in the literature that the Tuned by Ford Performance coilovers have approximately two additional coils for the springs. No one has been able to supply a solid answer yet. I've emailed Fox, but I'm waiting to hear back.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I like the design of the Fabtech UCA. They look stronger where the arms weld up at the ball joint. Are your Fox coilovers the Tuned by Ford Performance or the regular aftermarket Fox 2.0's? I've noticed in the literature that the Tuned by Ford Performance coilovers have approximately two additional coils for the springs. No one has been able to supply a solid answer yet. I've emailed Fox, but I'm waiting to hear back.
The funny thing on how Ford says they have them tuned by thier performance group is really just a sales pitch. It is still the same kit you get from Fox regardless. Its like the For performance fog light kit from rigid. Its the same fog light kit you can buy at rigid. Ford just puts thier bam on it is all.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
The funny thing on how Ford says they have them tuned by thier performance group is really just a sales pitch. It is still the same kit you get from Fox regardless. Its like the For performance fog light kit from rigid. Its the same fog light kit you can buy at rigid. Ford just puts thier bam on it is all.
Yeah, I know they do that for a lot of products. However, there is a definite difference in the coil springs looking at the images. If the Tuned by Ford springs really have two additional coils, then assuming the same diameter and length, the springs would be softer than the standard Fox 2.0 springs.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know they do that for a lot of products. However, there is a definite difference in the coil springs looking at the images. If the Tuned by Ford springs really have two additional coils, then assuming the same diameter and length, the springs would be softer than the standard Fox 2.0 springs.
Hi Shea,

Sadly Ford Performance has resorted to rebranding aftermarket parts in many cases. The days went SVO, which became Ford Racing actually developed pieces.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up pulling the trigger on the Fabtechs. They look like they are pretty burly and they fit my budget. I'll post up about them, when I'm able to get some time to install them and get the truck out for an alighment.
I'm in the look out to update my UCAs, I also have a Fox 2.0 with 2.75 lift, how is Fabtech UCAs working out for you? Thanks for your feedback.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Shea,

Sadly Ford Performance has resorted to rebranding aftermarket parts in many cases. The days went SVO, which became Ford Racing actually developed pieces.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Hi Phil,
What's a good brand for UCAs, I also have a Fox 2.0 with 2.75 lift. On the other post, I have installed a 295/70/17, and does UCA add a bit of lift as well? I noticed that the stock UCAs are almost 90 degree after going to a bigger size tires.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed a set of Fox 2.0 Coilover and I'm wanting to adjust them up, from the factory setting, to about 2.5"-3". From what I've been see reoccurring on here is anything above 2", you should be considering running an aftermarket UCA. I've been looking at the Fabtech UCA kit on Rogue Offroads website, since it seems a little more affordable and it uses a sealed ball joint (this trucks daily driven in Michigan.... dirt roads, road salt, and so on). I've seen looking at the BDS and Icon UCA's as well. You folks have any recommendations and/or good/bad experiences between the 3 UCA's or others.

https://www.rogue-offroad.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FTS22293&CartID=1

Thanks in advance!
I went with BDS and couldn't be happier.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,
What's a good brand for UCAs, I also have a Fox 2.0 with 2.75 lift. On the other post, I have installed a 295/70/17, and does UCA add a bit of lift as well? I noticed that the stock UCAs are almost 90 degree after going to a bigger size tires.
Hi Bladimir,

I have no experience with the aftermarket control arms that are available, but there is a company out there that makes a very robust looking billet UCA that is pricey but would be my choice if I were to mod my suspension. There are several threads that discuss UCAs and might be useful to search and read, or hopefully a forum member with these arms on their Ranger will chime in. I am personally not a fan of BDS. I tried to reach out to them but they ducked and would not answer any questions. My take is the B stands for Backyard... JMO

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Another thing I don’t see mentioned in this thread is earlier Rangers have aluminum spindles. Later they replaced these with steel. They use 2 different tapers on the UCA ball joints! So be sure you select the right ones.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Another thing I don’t see mentioned in this thread is earlier Rangers have aluminum spindles. Later they replaced these with steel. They use 2 different tapers on the UCA ball joints! So be sure you select the right ones.
Yes, this is important to check. The Icon tubular UCA's with sealed Delta joint is only made for the Aluminum Spindles..

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bladimir,

I have no experience with the aftermarket control arms that are available, but there is a company out there that makes a very robust looking billet UCA that is pricey but would be my choice if I were to mod my suspension. There are several threads that discuss UCAs and might be useful to search and read, or hopefully a forum member with these arms on their Ranger will chime in. I am personally not a fan of BDS. I tried to reach out to them but they ducked and would not answer any questions. My take is the B stands for Backyard... JMO

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,
Thank You for the advice. I'll surf the forum for UCAs.

Thanks,
Blad

Stephen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Logistics
After the 17th, I will be able to give you a review of the APG UCAs. I chose them based on reviews and they do not require drilling out the top of the factory spindle.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
After the 17th, I will be able to give you a review of the APG UCAs. I chose them based on reviews and they do not require drilling out the top of the factory spindle.
Thanks, bro.
Sponsored