Looking at moving to a 255/75/17. Am I on the right track?

apip_colorado

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
I am looking to replace the stock Hankooks on my 2020 Ranger before the snow comes here in Colorado. I was pretty unpleased with the Hankooks in the snow this past winter. I have convinced myself that I want to to a slightly taller and skinnier tire than the stock 265/65/17 in order to get slightly better snow performance and a little more clearance.

From what I have read https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/help-me-out-ko2-vs-duratrac-vs-in-255-75-17.9321/ and here https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ordered-255-75r17-crazy.5080/ , it is my understanding that I can run a 255/75/17 with an otherwise stock Ranger, with no (or minimal/easily fixed) rubbing. I also understand that I can fit a spare tire of this size.

I spend a lot of time driving on the highway, but also quite a bit of time driving through snow, as well as on dirt/gravel/4x4-type roads. I want something that won't be totally out of place in any of these conditions.

Here are my considerations:
  • An AT tire with the Severe Snow Service Rating (aka 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake): Having run full winter tires, Severe Snow Service rated tired, and Mud & Snow rated tires in the past on other vehicles, this is the snow service rating/compromise I am happy to deal with. I am not looking for a dedicated winter tire, such as a Blizzak.
  • I am not going to be adding a lift/level to the truck any time soon.
  • Stock wheels.
  • LT Tire. I think I have also convinced myself to go with an LT tire over a P-Metric. I know there will be a (hopefully only slight) MPG and weight penalty, but I think this is a tradeoff I'm willing to make to have the extra durability and confidence off road. Many of the 255/75/17 seem to be C-rated tires, which, to me, seems like a nice balance. Perhaps a little lighter and smoother-riding than the E's, but still a lot burlier and more durable than the P-metrics.
  • Least hit to my MPG as much as reasonably possible (I know I will see some decrease here, but I would like to keep that as small as possible).
  • This is my daily driver and likely will be for the next 5-10 years. I tend to put around 20k miles on my truck each year. I don't want to do anything to significantly hurt the longevity of the truck or cause unnecessary issues down the road (my concern here is that going to a heavier tire will put more stress on suspension parts, etc. and wear things out quicker than normal).
The tires I have considered are the BFG KO2, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, the Firestone Destination XT, The Toyo Open Country AT3, and the Goodyear Duratrac.

I currently lean the most toward the BGG KO2 in the 255/75/17, as it seems to check a lot of my boxes. Am I on the right track here? Does anyone have any cases they want to make for one of the different tires I am looking at, or for a slightly different size? (245/75/17 and 255/70/17 have also been sizes I have considered.)

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You'll probably be ok with that size by just removing the plastic covers and adjusting your crashbars.

I'd go with the KO2s in that size.

If you're worried about it check to see if your tire shop will let you test fit one.

Reactions: Doc

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I think you’re on the right track. Guys on here seem to running tires of the same diameter but slightly wider on stock wheels and no lift without any issues. If you went down to 255/70R17s, they’d be an inch shorter and should weigh a bit less - might give you better mpg - might be negligible.

Maintaining your stock wheels will give you the most options.

Those KO2s are also a popular choice. I’m running General Grabbers (very similar) year round and there are no issues.

Good luck in your search.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with dedicated winter tires; I'll never not have a set of winter wheels and tires for my vehicles. Even outside of snow, the compound performs better in cold pavement when it's dry.

Eventually for this truck I'll have daily driving wheels/tires, winter wheels/tires, and off-road wheels/tires.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I'm a fan of the KO2's, but I believe the DuraTrac has phenomenal reviews for snow traction. KO2's not so much. People either like them or hate them for snow.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
People either like them or hate them for snow.
Yeah, this is what makes selecting tires so difficult based on internet reviews. One guy says a particular tire is amazing in the snow and the next guy says they are garbage in the snow. I think you just have to pick the one that you like the looks of and that has the specs you want and hope you like them.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Following…..

so much mixed reviews on ko2’s that ive also added destination xt to the mix.

i live in WA state so i need a good tire that wont slip and slide everywhere when it rains 7months out of the year.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
KO2s or any dedicated off-road tire aren't the same as a dedicated winter/snow tire. They don't have the soft rubber for cold temps and the additional siping that allows grip on ice and cold pavement. A good on-pavement winter tire, contrary to popular belief, doesn't have giant open lugs. It has directional pattern that holds wet snow that will grip to other wet snow but will release powdery snow. It's a much softer compound that can't be run on pavement when the temps get above 45-50; this allows it to stay pliable and have grip on ice and cold pavement. Each tool for its purpose.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I like my duratracs, but primarily got them because I scored a great deal of a local guy. In our last little bit of rain, i noticed the tires slipped quite a bit (granted it hadn't rained in quite some time, but still...) which did not inspire me with a lot of confidence. Can pretty comfortably say that if my intent was to stay in rainy washington for the foreseeable future I'd probably go KO2. Seeing as how i'm planning to get away from the rain next spring...who knows really.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I like my duratracs, but primarily got them because I scored a great deal of a local guy. In our last little bit of rain, i noticed the tires slipped quite a bit (granted it hadn't rained in quite some time, but still...) which did not inspire me with a lot of confidence. Can pretty comfortably say that if my intent was to stay in rainy washington for the foreseeable future I'd probably go KO2. Seeing as how i'm planning to get away from the rain next spring...who knows really.
have you run ko2’s can they be trusted in the rain?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Based on recommendations from here and other places I bought a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 33x 12.5015‘s for my 1987 GMC Squarebody truck. We mounted them at school on a road force balance machine and all four tires averaged together scored an 18 road force number. Anything under 40 is considered very good. I’ll be getting a set of these for my ranger as well but in 265 70 17.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
People seem to like the wildpeak's. I've checked them out an looks like they run heavy, even for an LT tire. I tend to drive my truck like a stop light racer with a big trunk so off road an load capacity aren't factors in my tire decision. I like low weight to reduce drag. The KD02's are a favorite among the off road crowd. Both look cool. I've never ran a winter specialty tire but we get like 3 snow storms a year here. I knew a lady that had a sweet Audi RS6 an she just ran the winter tires year round. She didn't want to deal with swapping the wheels/tires.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
have you run ko2’s can they be trusted in the rain?
can't say i've tried KO2's, but just looking at the tread pattern i have to imagine they'll be better. either way they'll likely be my next tire once i wear these duratracs out (or go bigger)

OP
OP
apip_colorado

apip_colorado

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I made up my mind to go with the KO2's in the 255/75/17, only to discover that no place near me has them or can get them in stock anytime soon.

I ended up ordering a set of Toyo Open Country ATIII's in a 245/75/17 instead. It was only 0.2" narrower and 0.5" smaller in diameter. It was also in the same ballpark for weight (46lbs for the KO2, and somewhere between 44-47lbs for the ATIII, depending on the source), and that is for it being an E-rated tire instead of a C.

Thanks again for all of the advice! I'll be sure to post some thoughts and pictures after I get them on.
Sponsored