Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Check post 22 - passed on this and am looking at a 2020

one of my kids is thinking about getting a Ranger. Has driven mine a few times, and likes this one. Far enough away it would be a pain just to look at. Any input would be appreciated. Details below. Haven't been tracking used Rangers, but the market has appeared to be shifting in favor of buyers. Anybody who has bought used recently have any input, esp re. price? It's not one I would buy, but I think it would work for him w/ a few changes.
Used 2019 Ford Ranger XL w/ FX4 Off-Road Package for sale in Delray Beach, FL 33483: Truck Details - 677718041 - Autotrader
1686323313608.png

1686323350183.png

1686323412870.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well first of all that is the best color for a Ranger so it has that going for it.

But given it is a 2019 one big thing to investigate before buying in my opinion would be the heater box / blend door issue that seems to be prevalent with the 2019 and I think some early 2020. If it has not had it replaced then that's a possible $2-3k problem from what I have seen others post as to the repair cost. Or spending probably well over $1k in an extend warranty since that one is outside the 36k bumper to bumper. Or risk it I guess. But it is certainly something to consider because I sometimes feel like the 2019 heater box / blend door issue isn't and if it happens but more when will it happen.

As per price I did a quick search on cars.com for XLs in that zip code of the listing with a radius of 150 miles and the price seems to be fairly in line with other similar listings. I noticed your image above showed 3 previous owners and also an accident report. Maybe it is just me but 3 owners in 48k miles does make me think a bit. Maybe nothing but maybe also it has some issues and why it has changed hands so often.

Last edited:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
That's how much I got mine for brand new. I would say get a Tacoma these aren't long lasting trucks if you beat on it.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are you basing that statement on?
It's just my opinion. I don't see the truck hitting 300k miles like a naturally aspirated V6 Tacoma and whatever goes on it like the turbo will be expensive. Just saying if it's for a kid I would go Tacoma. I beat the crap out of mine and floor it everyday and it's holding up but I know one day it will go kaboom so hopefully I have a ranger raptor or something else before then. I will say that this is the most fun truck ever I have long travel suspension and boltons and it's tuned I spent 20k in mods but for a first time car I would buy something cheap.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
but for a first time car I would buy something cheap.
Should have been more specific, but the kid is 24 years old and several years out of college. Still drives my old colorado that all my boys drove thru high school and college. Came home for mothers day and its time to upgrade. Looking for a deal, as always.

The least expensive FX4 that isn't black or white would be my assessment of his search critereia.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should have been more specific, but the kid is 24 years old and several years out of college. Still drives my old colorado that all my boys drove thru high school and college. Came home for mothers day and its time to upgrade. Looking for a deal, as always.
Sounds like a responsible young man. I just think there will be an expensive repair at 100k and if that's ok then I will say it's a fun truck. I apologize if I sounded a little forward about the truck not lasting I just know that the motor won't last as long as a Tacoma because getting 300k to 400k out of that is way cheaper in the long run but if you don't want it that long or if you're willing to help em with the repairs then go for it.

In the end, there aren't many high mileage rangers yet because they haven't been out long so there isn't a such thing as a million mile 5g ranger or half a million.

I guess if you look at the market then it's a fair deal.

My view is more like look at Ecoboosts, the most popular is the 3.5, some people get 200k out of it and say that that's a good amount of miles out of it but if you look at Toyotas people buy them with 300,000 miles and still push another 100k miles out of them on the usual. I enjoy the Ecoboost,they are fun, and you won't get that fun with a slow Tacoma. Just depends on what you want.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
As others have said, I'd be wary of 3 owners and an accident reported. Maybe it's nothing to worry about.
Check service records.
If everything is decent then that would be a sweet ride for your boy and you are quite the dad too!

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Given the history of 3 previous owners @ 48K, plus an accident, I too would be concerned.

Are you in the area? Ask the seller for a couple of things: Name and contact information of the previous owner and ask questions. If they won't give it to you because of "privacy issues" then have the seller contact the previous owner in your presence, put the guy on speaker and ask the "why" questions. Also ask the seller if you can take it to a wrench for a going over. It may be a very worthwhile expense. You can't have too much information, particularly given the history.

As for the vehicle lasting 300K miles. Be realistic and ask yourself how long you or your son will keep a vehicle. Be realistic. We all say we are going to keep them until the wheels fall off, and some do, and stats show people are keeping their vehicles longer. But 300K miles. And do you up grade by time or miles? For example, around eight years I get the bug for a new vehicle, regardless of the miles. The same thing applies - take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
In most cases any vehicle that has had 3 owners with that low a mileage says to me, others cut their losses and got something else to relieve themselves of the issues at hand. Could be an off chance that none of that is true but being on this forum long enough and seeing issues others do have, although not much, but some of them do get your attention and make you think about the possibilities of potentially being in the same boat yourself. Everything in life is a risk, just try to minimize your pain

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
What will he be using it for? Is it a commuter vehicle? Will it be used as an actual "truck"?
As others have mentioned, # of owners, previous accident, milage all areas of concern. A deal is great, but at the expense of longevity of life? Not so great.

If it were me, I would personally keep looking, or try and figure out what the damage was, how it was repaired etc etc. See if the dealership will let you borrow it for a weekend to make sure everything is all good (my parents did that when purchasing a new vehicle, said they wanted to make sure it fit in the garage LOL. Took it home for a weekend.)

My 2019 has been fine, the heater thing is on the back of my mind but so far its fine and I will just shell out the cash to get it fixed whenever it happens. Every vehicle has its quirks but for the most part the trucks are quite solid all around.

Mid-Size

like anything it comes down to the user, not quality or use. If a person can't clean up after themselves and leaves a mess everywhere... how long do you thing even the best crafted vehicle would last under their ownership? Versus someone who care about their space... even a complete lemon would likely last twice as long as the other example.

I'm not trying to point fingers just set extreme examples, whats the old saying... if you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

I'm pretty sure this kid if he got the Ranger, his first trip will not be to overland at the highest peak in the Rockies...

We can go for months on this topic of why one is better then the other but those factors are base on unique perspectives. Good cars come from good owners... let the kid pick what he likes, how he takes care of it is his choice. Whatever he picks will be the right one I think we all can agree.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
still tracking - the price is down to $24,950 and according to cargurus its been on the market for 81 days. The overall price has dropped $7,025 according to the website. Just a data point for those looking at rangers and where the used market is heading. We are tracking a bunch more, but if you are a buyer things have shifted. appreciate the response , esp. the blend door issue.

1687603307496.png

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
one of my kids is thinking about getting a Ranger. Has driven mine a few times, and likes this one. Far enough away it would be a pain just to look at. Any input would be appreciated. Details below. Haven't been tracking used Rangers, but the market has appeared to be shifting in favor of buyers. Anybody who has bought used recently have any input, esp re. price? It's not one I would buy, but I think it would work for him w/ a few changes.
Used 2019 Ford Ranger XL w/ FX4 Off-Road Package for sale in Delray Beach, FL 33483: Truck Details - 677718041 - Autotrader
1686323313608.png

1686323350183.png

1686323412870.png
Nice !
Sponsored