Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to note, is the temp gauge is horribly inaccurate. My typical water temps are 197-202F while driving and even while towing. Up any sort of grade, as soon as the boost builds, it doesn’t take much to see 230F. I typically let off and slow down as soon as I see 220F. This is while towing my camper as well, it’s 4000lbs, and very aerodynamic.
I never saw my temps above 215F with the ~5500lbs behind me coming from San Luis Obispo back into LA, and there's quite a few grades there, monitored via OBDII with Torque the whole way. I imagine if it's warmer outside it would be a bit worse, but it was 55-70 the whole way and no problems.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
One thing to note, is the temp gauge is horribly inaccurate. My typical water temps are 197-202F while driving and even while towing. Up any sort of grade, as soon as the boost builds, it doesn’t take much to see 230F. I typically let off and slow down as soon as I see 220F. This is while towing my camper as well, it’s 4000lbs, and very aerodynamic.
That sounds abnormal, like the fan isn't kicking in or your airflow is restricted.

Deleted member 1634

Here’s my suggestion
1. Rent dirt bikes when you get there. Best answer.
2. Rent someone to haul your bikes there. Good answer.
3. Rent a vehicle to tow the trailer. Also good answer.

I wouldn’t use my truck for such an outing and I could understand why your friends would like you to do it.
That all sounds like a lot of money being spent on renting things they already own and/or can do themselves.

Deleted member 1634

It's a good answer if someone didn't already own a truck, I guess.
And it all depends how you want to use your truck too I guess. I personally bought mine to be used as a truck: to haul, to tow, to carry things and go places. So OPs scenario is the exact type of thing I bought my truck for. I guess if you bought your truck to sit in the garage, look pretty, and be statement piece, and not for doing truck things, then I can see why you wouldn't want to do this type of trip. I don't agree with using it that way, but I understand some people do.

OP
OP
Yamahauler

Yamahauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Electric Blue
Here’s my suggestion
1. Rent dirt bikes when you get there. Best answer.
2. Rent someone to haul your bikes there. Good answer.
3. Rent a vehicle to tow the trailer. Also good answer.

I wouldn’t use my truck for such an outing and I could understand why your friends would like you to do it.
1. Pricey and the bikes are not very good. Looking at 250+/day for some WR250Rs. We'd also have to rent a truck to haul them to further destinations.
2. Shipping bikes out is extremely expensive.
3. We're looking into this.

My friend actually wants to use his Xterra... it's just a really bad idea. I'm not itching to use my truck for this trip but I wanted to make sure it was a viable possibility.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
When hitting 220F, fan was on, this was full throttle,20lbs I’d boost, up a 5% grade, doing 110KPH, ambient temps were also 95F ish.
Like I said, as soon as you let off to less than full throttle, temps drop quickly. I guess my original post was a little bit misleading in regards to how much load I was putting on the engine
Sponsored