First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hello there all. As I'm sure most have already seen the capabilities of the Rangers for towing you may have been curious as to how differnt things like a lift might effect it. Well I will say that i have not towed anything while my truck was stock but this past week i did move and did some towing.

Now for those who are not already aware I am one of the odd balls that went with the Old Man EMU lift over other lift kits and the leveling kits that are avalible. With the Old Man EMU kit I can say i am impressed both towing and not towing. The ride quality is still there and you don't get the ridiculous squat compared to other lift kits and leveling kits.

Now for those of you that say you don't notice the trailer i have to call Bull Shit on because how do you not notice a 2,000 lb trailer unless you have a 2 1/2 ton truck? I had to say it because even i noticed the EMPTY 5x9 U-haul trail. With that said I will still say that it pulled that trailed way better than my 2016 Nissan Frontier. I also recently pulled my 1983 280ZX on the auto transport by U-haul and it still did well. Now for that the weight was probably around 5,500 lbs once the Z was loaded but i still didn't have any major problems and I was able to pull hills here in the Colorado Rockies with confidence.

Here you will see a picture of it loaded with the Z and you can tell it leveled the truck out.

Now I want anyone who has towed with a lift or level from any other company and be honest about what they thought. Did you really like the towing experience with that particular kit on or did it kind of make things a bit questionable? Lets show others who might be interested in putting a lift or level on their vehicle but also are concerned about Towing overall.

0803201851.jpg
Sponsored

Regnar

First Name
Brud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Reviving an old thread here - just bought the OME kit myself. Once it is installed I'll be towing a trailer every once it a while. I'll be sure to update my experience here!

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reviving an old thread here - just bought the OME kit myself. Once it is installed I'll be towing a trailer every once it a while. I'll be sure to update my experience here!
To say the least you shouldn't be disappointed as long as you load it correctly. Just be warned that 780 lbs in the bed leveled out my truck and i have the standard kit, meaning the lightest spring option. Just so you are aware

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT - FX4
Another revival for the towing curious; do you know if the 'heavy load' version of the OME kit has higher rate springs in the front AND rear? The marketing language indicates it is for a vehicle with a winch in the front, which makes me think the rear springs are the same in both kits.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another revival for the towing curious; do you know if the 'heavy load' version of the OME kit has higher rate springs in the front AND rear? The marketing language indicates it is for a vehicle with a winch in the front, which makes me think the rear springs are the same in both kits.
That I am aware of the Heavy Duty Kit with the Nitrocharger shocks only has heavy duty springs up front for a Bumper and Winch. The rear leafs are still standard. That said I'm sure you can make a custom order for the spring that you need for a similar price

COblue

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ranger Lariat
You can get an OME add a leaf for about $50 each. Should work if you need more spring.

I haven't towed my boat (5k lbs) yet after installing the OME standard leafs a few weeks ago. Will update eventually, but I am 100% certain it'll tow better with it not riding the bump stops the whole way.

Frenchy should've gotten a kickback on my OME springs after his non-stop praise of them lol!
Sponsored