Loft Blocks a Bad Idea for Things Like Rock Crawling?

OP
OP

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What size tires do you want? If you need a 6" lift to clear them I would pass. You would definitely need to re gear the front and rear and right now no one makes any kits to do that. You would also need quite a few other mods to make it work. Think smaller for off road performance. Larger tires don't equal more capability off road. A lot of times it's the opposite. If you go with a smaller lift (old man emu for example) you can do leaf springs that come with the kit.
I started wanting larger tires because a moab off-roading guide says that a minimum of 33" tires are need for many of these trails, although it recommends 37s.
I hadn't thought about looking to see if kits were sold to regear the diffs. Amd you can't install new diffs with different gears either?
Sponsored

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I don't think a 37" tire would be possible on our trucks. I personally don't think they are really needed either but I haven't been to Moab. 33" are possible though. As far as I know, the only way to get different gearing in our trucks right now would be a full blown axle swap to something that has more options. Hopefully that changes soon or hopefully I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure there are guys on here running 33" tires with 2.5"-3" lift. They may have swapped out the crash bars to fit but its doable for less money and probably better performance than a larger lift.

OP
OP

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't think a 37" tire would be possible on our trucks. I personally don't think they are really needed either but I haven't been to Moab. 33" are possible though. As far as I know, the only way to get different gearing in our trucks right now would be a full blown axle swap to something that has more options. Hopefully that changes soon or hopefully I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure there are guys on here running 33" tires with 2.5"-3" lift. They may have swapped out the crash bars to fit but its doable for less money and probably better performance than a larger lift.
Yeah, I'll probably settle for 33s. I was glancing at options for going bigger and there's really not much in term of aftermarket support; even some 6" lifts say only 33s, so there's really no point in lifting 6" for 33s then.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

This guy is driving Moab in a stock Ranger + 33" tires. Unless you want to blow huge amounts of money, I recommend you be a little more realistic about your goals. Why not start with taller tires, better shocks in the rear, and a level up front of like 2.5" w/ leveled struts or a full coilover? I think you'll have to get different intrusion bars, but I think you'll be able to get the truck in a really capable state for only a couple grand (tires + rear shocks + front level + intrusion bars).

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Still with no lift block or with lift block?
For me, unless it was a show truck only I'd be buying OME Leafs in my required height.

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red

This guy is driving Moab in a stock Ranger + 33" tires. Unless you want to blow huge amounts of money, I recommend you be a little more realistic about your goals. Why not start with taller tires, better shocks in the rear, and a level up front of like 2.5" w/ leveled struts or a full coilover? I think you'll have to get different intrusion bars, but I think you'll be able to get the truck in a really capable state for only a couple grand (tires + rear shocks + front level + intrusion bars).
Idk why the guy posted it as stock. Could see the king shocks in some clips and in the comments he mentioned it has king shocks and comburg ucas among a couple other things. Still a cool video though

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
Yeah, I'll probably settle for 33s. I was glancing at options for going bigger and there's really not much in term of aftermarket support; even some 6" lifts say only 33s, so there's really no point in lifting 6" for 33s then.
A couple people here have fit 35s, @589FAB being one of them. As to how much they rub I have no idea

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Came to say this....

Idk why the guy posted it as stock. Could see the king shocks in some clips and in the comments he mentioned it has king shocks and comburg ucas among a couple other things. Still a cool video though
You can tell it's not stock from the thumbnail alone. And 33s will not fit a stock Ranger.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yeah I can't say if there's any suspension work done, but regardless I stand by what I said. Some taller tires and light suspension mods is all you need for some serious trails. I'd also get the detachable sway bar links the guy is making on here.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
33’s will fit with the Kings and removing the crash bars. My guess is he’s 3” in the front and 1” in the rear.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Yeah I can't say if there's any suspension work done, but regardless I stand by what I said. Some taller tires and light suspension mods is all you need for some serious trails. I'd also get the detachable sway bar links the guy is making on here.
Not trying to argue your point, as you are correct.

But even my wife can tell that is NOT a stock Ranger.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Ohh, and OP, if you really want to wheel Moab completely buy a Jeep.

Your Ranger is not a rock crawler.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to argue your point, as you are correct.

But even my wife can tell that is NOT a stock Ranger.
I think the point is you can do Moab on 3000$ worth of mods If you’re sensible about brands. A 6” lift is probably 10k or more.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I think the point is you can do Moab on 3000$ worth of mods If you’re sensible about brands. A 6” lift is probably 10k or more.
Agreed in principal, but let's be realistic.

Depends on what you mean by "do Moab."

A Ranger with $3k worth of mods is not getting through Mickeys Hottub. Even if it's dry.

If you mean comfortably access most of the park for camping and biking, sure.

Doesn't sound like OP wants to be able to simply access most of Moab for biking and camping. Sounds like he wants a crawler.

Trying to build a 5g into a crawler is a waste of time and money for most. Our member doing the SAS on the salvage titled one is the one exception. If a person wants a Ranger crawler they would be better off starting with a 3g to hack up.
Sponsored