First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow beautiful country and no shortage of side x sides out there.
There's so many Jeep and side x side rentals in Sedona. One nice thing is they're legal to drive on the streets so when you rent one you can go all over town with them. Some trails are several miles apart so you have to take the roads to get there. Worst part about them is it's super dusty out there and unless you catch it after it rains you're inhaling red dust all day long.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
There's so many Jeep and side x side rentals in Sedona. One nice thing is they're legal to drive on the streets so when you rent one you can go all over town with them. Some trails are several miles apart so you have to take the roads to get there. Worst part about them is it's super dusty out there and unless you catch it after it rains you're inhaling red dust all day long.
Wear a mask! :devil::lipssealed:

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
@azscorpinice pictures and thanks for the Sedona report! I'm not a fan of rock garden trail sections either, sounds like Schnebly is all rock gardens.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
@azscorpinice pictures and thanks for the Sedona report! I'm not a fan of rock garden trail sections either, sounds like Schnebly is all rock gardens.
Yes it's pretty much a rock garden. There are some spots that are semi smooth but not many. I had seen some YouTube videos on this trail but most are older ones and the trail has become worse over the years. Now the pink Jeeps were going good over the trail but they do have better suspension and it's not their own personal Jeep.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it's pretty much a rock garden. There are some spots that are semi smooth but not many. I had seen some YouTube videos on this trail but most are older ones and the trail has become worse over the years. Now the pink Jeeps were going good over the trail but they do have better suspension and it's not their own personal Jeep.
Hi Dave,

It was many years ago but we visited Michigan friends that were visiting their father in his retirement home in Sedona. We did Schnebly Hill Rd. in friends Taurus rental car with no problem with me drving .....easy to stay with Pink Jeeps....must have really deteriorated...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

It was many years ago but we visited Michigan friends that were visiting their father in his retirement home in Sedona. We did Schnebly Hill Rd. in friends Taurus rental car with no problem with me drving .....easy to stay with Pink Jeeps....must have really deteriorated...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

Wow,if you tried that now in a Taurus you'd rip the whole underside off lol We came off the Schnebly Hill Rd exit off the 17 and the first 6 miles or so was just a fire road with some campsites here and there. Then the fun starts around mile marker 7, it goes downhill quickly. The whole 7 miles aren't terrible but there are a lot of very rocky areas that throw you side to side. I did get a thumbs up from one of the pink jeep drivers who yelled out "nice driving". That'll tell you how tough it is now. :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL STX FX4
Wow Shnebly must have deteriorated a lot, I remember doing that drive in an '83 Tercel back in the day. Also used to love driving my stock S-10 Blazer around Broken Arrow with all the pink jeeps on 37's lol

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow Shnebly must have deteriorated a lot, I remember doing that drive in an '83 Tercel back in the day. Also used to love driving my stock S-10 Blazer around Broken Arrow with all the pink jeeps on 37's lol

I've done Outlaw and Diamondback and we were going to do Broken Arrow but I had had enough after this. lol The Ranger did great and has plenty of clearance but it's defiantly geared more for Jeeps with better off road suspension now.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Hi Phil,

Wow,if you tried that now in a Taurus you'd rip the whole underside off lol We came off the Schnebly Hill Rd exit off the 17 and the first 6 miles or so was just a fire road with some campsites here and there. Then the fun starts around mile marker 7, it goes downhill quickly. The whole 7 miles aren't terrible but there are a lot of very rocky areas that throw you side to side. I did get a thumbs up from one of the pink jeep drivers who yelled out "nice driving". That'll tell you how tough it is now. :)
How was the "drop" mentioned in the video comment you posted ?

"...the first drop was high enough that I turned back"

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

Hi Dave,

Wonder if Pink Jeeps got tired of seeing passenger cars on Schnebly and convinced local gov't to let it deteriorate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Hi Dave,

Wonder if Pink Jeeps got tired of seeing passenger cars on Schnebly and convinced local gov't to let it deteriorate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
At the beginning of Schnebly, Broken Arrow, and Dry Creek, there are now high rock berms that filter out low clearance vehicles.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How was the "drop" mentioned in the video comment you posted ?

"...the first drop was high enough that I turned back"
I came in from the top but there's a large rock that you can ether go over the top or off to the side. I chose the side because it was less of a drop off and I didn't want to come down hard on the rear and crush the tailpipe or the bottom of the rear quarter. I had plenty of clearance but with the longer wheelbase on the Ranger I didn't want to take a chance. I think it would've been ok but no sense in taking any chances.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

You may be right as the pink Jeeps rule that area and I'm sure they got sick of having to deal with passenger cars in their way al the time. From reading past comments and now some of the newer ones it's definitely been let go for a while now.
Sponsored

Last edited: