Livernois - Initial / Long Term Review

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I always flash mine like this. Press go and walk away (window down). Proud user of soft shift tow tune! IMO the best all around daily.
You can get out and walk away once started? Door closed before you get out?
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
You can get out and walk away once started? Door closed before you get out?
Nope. Window down first. Get out, close door, tuner out the window. Start it and set it on the seat.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
I have no issues opening and closing the door while using a tuner, including the Livernois tuner. I'm fairly certain it all has to do with simply using an abundance of caution to not fuck things up. I turn off the headlights, the center stack screen, and the climate control. I will open and close the door and lock and unlock it, so I can walk away. No issues.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I have no issues opening and closing the door while using a tuner, including the Livernois tuner. I'm fairly certain it all has to do with simply using an abundance of caution to not fuck things up. I turn off the headlights, the center stack screen, and the climate control. I will open and close the door and lock and unlock it, so I can walk away. No issues.
Sort of like not screwing with a computer flashing its bios. ... That said, why risk it IMO. It just takes a minute or so (not counting the initial backup... That was like 20..)

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Sort of like not screwing with a computer flashing its bios. ... That said, why risk it IMO. It just takes a minute or so (not counting the initial backup... That was like 20..)
This was my thought. Not worth the risk!

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First, it’s not like it’s getting flashed every day, or even once a week or month.

But having said that, it’s usually not the only thing going on. For instance, I was at work last time. Had to leave and backup one of my crews on a nasty collision. When I leave, my truck has to be secure so it doesn’t get stolen. I’m not leaving it with a key in the ignition and the window down. It gets left closed up and locked, using the second fob. With all lights off, center stack display off, climate control not blowing, there’s no indication of keys in it and less temptation for a thief.

Everyone’s circumstances will vary.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I don't offen try and flash mine when I may need to save a kid from a burning building.

I think I would just wait until it's a nice calm time at the house, looking ahead to what the truck needs in the coming days etc.

That is just me; I could see the need to turn it off and lock it if needed - hope for the best of the situation called for it.

All that said; I am going to start using the open window method vs sitting in it if the shit does hit the fan. I have a few kiddos.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't offen try and flash mine when I may need to save a kid from a burning building.

I think I would just wait until it's a nice calm time at the house, looking ahead to what the truck needs in the coming days etc.

That is just me; I could see the need to turn it off and lock it if needed - hope for the best of the situation called for it.

All that said; I am going to start using the open window method vs sitting in it if the shit does hit the fan. I have a few kiddos.
To be clear... I don't turn it off while it's flashing. I was simply stating my reason for opening/closing doors and locking/unlocking it. Turning it off while flashing would be a horrible idea. This is why they don't want you doing anything with the truck. They don't want it to be potentially interrupted, by power loss or a drop in voltage. But, opening/closing doors and unlocking/locking shouldn't do that, or kill the battery.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't get it, it only takes like 2-3 minutes to flash between tunes. :crazy: The only lengthy one is when you upload the stock tune into the Mycal which IIRC took about 20 minutes. I just turn the radio off, roll the windows down and flash it. Heck I've done this while sitting in the parking lot at Costco just after filling up when it was 110 outside. I don't see the need to exit the truck unless some are really that impatient. lol

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I don't get it, it only takes like 2-3 minutes to flash between tunes. :crazy: The only lengthy one is when you upload the stock tune into the Mycal which IIRC took about 20 minutes. I just turn the radio off, roll the windows down and flash it. Heck I've done this while sitting in the parking lot at Costco just after filling up when it was 110 outside. I don't see the need to exit the truck unless some are really that impatient. lol
Mine took an hour. Had 85 blocks to download. Maybe they added more blocks for 2020 Ranger haha.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine took an hour. Had 85 blocks to download. Maybe they added more blocks for 2020 Ranger haha.
Maybe they did. They must have compensated for all those other deleted items. ?

I know mine didn't take that long but I did open that day and went inside because it was August and really hot. I was also at a friends using his laptop (I have a Mac) and I remember Anthony sending them right back to me so I didn't have to wait 2-3 day then go back and download them.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When I flashed mine, it was about 5-8 minutes to load the tune. Considerably slower than an SCT tuner. I'm fairly good at estimating time, so while I didn't use a stopwatch, I'm confident in that number. A lot can happen in that time frame that may require your attention to something else.

It doesn't matter. All I'm saying is that it's a precaution against voltage dropping too low, stopping the process in the middle, and bricking the PCM. And it's an abundance of caution, not strictly necessary. Unfortunately, most companies have to look at stuff from a liability standpoint these days.

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Thank you for sharing your methods guys! Yes we do suggest flashing with the doors closed and 100% all electronics off to be safe. I have personally witnessed customers opening their door while programming without causing an interruption in programming, but it's not worth the risk in my opinion. Being on the business end we always suggest to do things in the safest ways possible. The Mycal interrupts canbus communication and basically puts the system to sleep during programming/reading. But triggering things like the dome light by opening the door runs the risk of waking the can bus and could potentially fail flashing. I also suggest to disable Bluetooth connections from your phones just being extra cautious, to ensure the radio stays asleep during a flash and doesn't wake up to take your calls.

Also the Mycal read / write times have improved over the years, so if your tuner has not been updated in a while I would suggest updating to the latest firmware version to ensure the quickest load times possible. The 91-93 Performance tunes have been revised several times over the years, so you may also see a newer version of your tune downloading. Any time you are curious if there's a newer tune you can also click the Tune Request option on the Mycal PC app and submit a new request to check for any newer updated tunes.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Livernois 91-93 hard shift tune installed for over 58K now......still runs perfect!

Note for flashing.....I've flashed back and forth from performance to stock when going to the dealer or whatever many times. I have had issues with accidentally leaving a usb charge cable connected or an apple lightning cable connected and had the tune flash error out on me. It's never been an issue to recover if something has gone south during a flash. Now I just get in, disconnect everything, touch nothing and my ECU flashes go without incident..... :wink:
Sponsored