Advertisement

Linex Bedliner.... NEVER again.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Most people removing their drop-in liner find a scraped and rusty mess, but good luck.
Back in 2011 when I had my F150, I had the plastic bed liner removed and Linex installed. The truck was 8 months old and the owner of the Linex shop called me in to see the damage the plastic bed liner caused to the bed floor. It was unbelievable how much dirt and sand got under the liner and the complete destruction of the paint/primer. I vowed NEVER to use the drop-in liners again.

Don't be fooled with the assumption that the drop-in liner provides protection.

Advertisement

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Back in 2011 when I had my F150, I had the plastic bed liner removed and Linex installed. The truck was 8 months old and the owner of the Linex shop called me in to see the damage the plastic bed liner caused to the bed floor. It was unbelievable how much dirt and sand got under the liner and the complete destruction of the paint/primer. I vowed NEVER to use the drop-in liners again.

Don't be fooled with the assumption that the drop-in liner provides protection.
all you need to do is go to a used lot and take a look at 5+ year old trucks with bed liners. you can lift them up a little bit and they're a bit rusty under there. i'd imagine the aluminum F-150s don't have the rust problem, but the paint is beat up (but with the bedliner on, who cares, I guess). so yeah, i don't like drop ins.

Best protection...line-x the bed, install a plastic bedliner, box on the bedliner with 3/4" plywood then carpet it.
i've owned a couple sports cars that i used to work every weekend to wash and wax and keep looking nice. so i get the desire to have your stuff look nice... lol, but with that many steps there's a point where i have to stop and say, "it's a friggin truck." to each their own though.

to the OP, thanks. i was actually about to get a line-x for my truck and was gonna get the bare minimum spray in. now i'm pausing and thinking about getting that extra top coat or whatever it is (like $160 more).

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I had mine do a horrible job, and when I called him on it he told me that it was perfect. Then I sent him pictures and got a ton of excuses (our gun wasn't working right, I cut my hand on your truck) I guess it goes that there are great installers and ones that are just pathetic.
Its the times we live in, folks want to get paid top dollar and respected in their industry even though they don't deserve it. I've been at all levels of the construction industry and when people ask me what I do for a living I just say, "I'm an adult baby-sitter."

You have to micro-manager every molecule of the 'process' you happen to be engaged in at any given moment. Then and only then am I 100% confident my expectation level will be met. Dont get me wrong there are folks I deal with that are on the same/similar level that know what I expect and 99% of the time deliver...

Ronbo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger SCrew, FX4. Ordered: 7/29/19 Built: 9/9/19 Delivered: 9/25/19
Occupation
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
Vehicle Showcase
So we’re complaining about a bed liner fading in a truck?!?
Maybe this thread is not for you bro?!? I actually learned something about this subject that I did not know. I can find nothing in the rules that say that you have to read or participate in this discussion. If you're bothered by it, please feel free to hit "ignore" on the top of the page. It looks like this.
90450BE5-9E8A-446F-89F8-0EAF29C327F1.jpeg

landiscarrier

First Name
Landis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Maybe this thread is not for you bro?!? I actually learned something about this subject that I did not know. I can find nothing in the rules that say that you have to read or participate in this discussion. If you're bothered by it, please feel free to hit "ignore" on the top of the page. It looks like this.
90450BE5-9E8A-446F-89F8-0EAF29C327F1.jpeg
You're complaining about my post while telling me not to complain and keep scrolling, ignore or to not participate...."bro", that's called hypocrisy.

Reactions: FoD

Ronbo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger SCrew, FX4. Ordered: 7/29/19 Built: 9/9/19 Delivered: 9/25/19
Occupation
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
Vehicle Showcase
You're complaining about my post while telling me not to complain and keep scrolling, ignore or to not participate...."bro", that's called hypocrisy.
Ok Francis.

I Truck Naked

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Jaguar / Land Rover Senior Technician
Has it been exposed to any chemicals?
I am currently going 5 rounds with Ford because ALL My door handles / bed caps / wiper cowl / fender vents / rear bumper cover plastics have faded. They tried claiming its wax, but it's not. When the truck was new and ceramic coated, all plastics were thoroughly taped off.

Reason I ask, is that any cleaning solvents left unrinsed out can soak into the material and cause discoloration.

pocket_geek

First Name
Curtis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Nerd
I've had my Line-X bedliner for about 7 months now. In that time I've hauled all kinds of stuff, bricks, gravel, garbage, metal scrap, furniture, etc... It's held up really well.
My truck lives outside, so I knew fading would be an issue. It says what coatings have UV protections and which ones don't on the website. The premium is the cheapest options with UV protection.
1598992000824.png

Mine hasn't really faded at all, as expected.

1598992055009.png

You can see in this picture it's not faded, just dirty.

I don't know what they used to spray, all I know is what they spray now and they don't claim the standard product has UV protection.

If your coating is chalky or flaking off it was probably sprayed at the wrong temperature. This stuff is supposed to be hot sprayed, around 200 degrees I think (In freedom units).

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea what level mine is or even what brand but the dealership had it done at a place locally and it cost around $500. No issues so far.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Question, I'm pretty sure my Line-X was just the standard because I had the dealer include it as part of my deal. If I want to add UV protection later is that something that can be done after the fact?

It still looks brand new and I keep it in my garage when I'm home. But if it is going to fade over the years I'd be cool with paying a bit to have UV protection added.

jmk68618

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Risk Assessment
Question, I'm pretty sure my Line-X was just the standard because I had the dealer include it as part of my deal. If I want to add UV protection later is that something that can be done after the fact?

It still looks brand new and I keep it in my garage when I'm home. But if it is going to fade over the years I'd be cool with paying a bit to have UV protection added.
Yes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement