First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
So I just got my Ranger and I’m about to order a cap for it. I’m trying to decide between a linex spray in liner or a bed rug. I like how the bed rug helps to keep debris out of the bed, but I’m worried about cleanup and rust forming under it. Any real life experience with a bed rug over a painted bed?
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I like how the bed rug helps to keep debris out of the bed
I think it more just hides stuff, no? Reminds me of someone who told me they loved their brown shag carpet because spills just sorta disappeared into it. :puke:

MJ Mohn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Will be doing a spray in bed liner. Better than a rug. You are correct the rug will retain moisture and later rust. Spray in is the way to go. Looking at both Line-x and Rhino. Line-x is a bit thicker application than Rhino. A spray in bed liner will also make the bed quieter and no rust. Good luck with the new rig Rich. What brand of cap are you looking at?

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Will be doing a spray in bed liner. Better than a rug. You are correct the rug will retain moisture and later rust. Spray in is the way to go. Looking at both Line-x and Rhino. Line-x is a bit thicker application than Rhino. A spray in bed liner will also make the bed quieter and no rust. Good luck with the new rig Rich. What brand of cap are you looking at?
I’m looking at Leer, I’ve had two in the past and have had no complaints.

MJ Mohn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at Leer also. Looked at A.R.E as well but leaning to Leer. Color matched and options. Thanks. Good luck.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at Leer also. Looked at A.R.E as well but leaning to Leer. Color matched and options. Thanks. Good luck.

You could do both. The bed rug XLT mat is easy to remove if you are hauling anything really dirty. The full Bed rug is hard to remove if you bolt the trucks tie downs over it. My only past issue with bed rugs was that I carried a wrecked motor cycle and it leaked all its oil into the bed rug. I used de-greaser by the gallon but still never got all the oil out of it.

IMG_20190417_172946.jpg

MJ Mohn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In my former 2002 Ranger XLT and in my 2012 F350 Super Duty, whenever I have to load something rough and nasty, I slide in a nice thick heavy duty rubber horse stable mat. Very inexpensive and available at Tractor Supply Stores. Dirt and oil, just hose it off. Nice rug in the rig there Gregg though.

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
You could do both. The bed rug XLT mat is easy to remove if you are hauling anything really dirty. The full Bed rug is hard to remove if you bolt the trucks tie downs over it. My only past issue with bed rugs was that I carried a wrecked motor cycle and it leaked all its oil into the bed rug. I used de-greaser by the gallon but still never got all the oil out of it.

IMG_20190417_172946.jpg
I’ve looked at that too. I want to keep dirt/rain/snow out of the back.

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I think it depends on how you plan to use the truck. I had this same debate and went with the bed rug because I don’t want stuff to slide around under my bed cover. I haul tools and jacks etc to the race track when towing my racecar. So for me the bed rug was the way to go. I can put a jack, jack stands, bag of tools anything and when I open the tailgate it’s exactly where I put it. It’s easy to clean, and it doesn’t hold moisture. With the cover it doesn’t even get wet anyway. If you are getting a cap/shell, I’d do the rug but that’s just me. You can do both, but it makes it more difficult to secure the bed rug. You have to buy a add on kit to secure it.

F2C27B07-4F61-4177-94B6-D665EE314B0A.jpeg

BE34FD1D-C491-40E7-A708-297946FA06ED.jpeg

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
My wife is convinced that the rug will always be wet and take forever to dry. I’ll have to do some more research.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My wife is convinced that the rug will always be wet and take forever to dry. I’ll have to do some more research.
It isn't really a "rug" the fibers are all plastic and don't hold water. Ask them to send you a sample piece of the material.

I took a chance and bought a BedRug after having a spray in liner - so far I'm very happy with my choice.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I had a bedrug in my previous 2008 Colorado and never had a problem with it, they dry out pretty quickly and provide better protection to the furniture I carry in mine. I put one in my new 2019 Ranger too.

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
It isn't really a "rug" the fibers are all plastic and don't hold water. Ask them to send you a sample piece of the material.

I took a chance and bought a BedRug after having a spray in liner - so far I'm very happy with my choice.
agreed.

I also like that it’s comfortable to sit or lay in the bed. My son likes to sit back there when we are parked. It fills in the voids and makes it have a flat surface.

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
I wasn't going to put anything on my bed, but then I saw these mats at Costco for $14.99 each, and two of them laid side by side are the perfect length for the bed on the Supercrew. Rubber on one side and polyester on the other. Cut about an inch off both sides of the front one (on the long side) to fit snugly within the wheel wells.

IMG_20200108_134303441_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200108_134332065_HDR.jpg

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got my Ranger and I’m about to order a cap for it. I’m trying to decide between a linex spray in liner or a bed rug. I like how the bed rug helps to keep debris out of the bed, but I’m worried about cleanup and rust forming under it. Any real life experience with a bed rug over a painted bed?
Congrats on the new Ranger! I've had both in my 150s and 250s. In my experience the bed rug keeps things from sliding around better than a spray in. The one draw back as you mentioned is crap gets underneath it, leaves, acorns, hay, liquids, etc. I just remove it and blow/wash out the debris. I've never had rust form underneath it. I suppose the steel beds might get surface rust, if the paint is scratched to bare metal, but I bet you won't keep the truck long enough to rust through ;-) I'll likely do both. The bed rugs don't cost that much for what they offer IMO.
Sponsored