Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so I’m questioning either my judgement or the collective intelligence of this thread. I bought some car river low beams because they are dimmer (“10k lumen”) and adjustable. Swiveling around the fixture, I was figuring the 9 and 3 parroted here (blade vertical, leds on side facing 9/3) would be the best option, but it seems 12/6 is significantly better. Here’s a photo with left low at 9/3 and 12/6 on right. The huge hotspot above the cutoff is caused by the left.
Is this unusual? When people say 9/3 do they mean the blade faces 9/3 instead of the leds?

Effectively, following the instructions produce terrible scatter above the cutoff. Rotating 90 seems ideal.

89342B15-7851-4666-8CC5-CE0F8D682FF8.jpeg

5BD456C1-6D0E-4A00-A8B4-01ECA2C5C2AE.jpeg
I never could get the set of 2 blade LED bulbs to work correctly in my '91 Ranger or the '07 F-150 . I ended up with the 3 blade sets in both and they did well . The 3 blade Leds produce a more 360 pattern of light like the halogen and are easier to get rotated in the reflector correctly IMO .
Sponsored

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Okay so I’m questioning either my judgement or the collective intelligence of this thread. I bought some car river low beams because they are dimmer (“10k lumen”) and adjustable. Swiveling around the fixture, I was figuring the 9 and 3 parroted here (blade vertical, leds on side facing 9/3) would be the best option, but it seems 12/6 is significantly better. Here’s a photo with left low at 9/3 and 12/6 on right. The huge hotspot above the cutoff is caused by the left.
Is this unusual? When people say 9/3 do they mean the blade faces 9/3 instead of the leds?

Effectively, following the instructions produce terrible scatter above the cutoff. Rotating 90 seems ideal.

89342B15-7851-4666-8CC5-CE0F8D682FF8.jpeg

5BD456C1-6D0E-4A00-A8B4-01ECA2C5C2AE.jpeg
Like you I tried the CarRover 10,000 lumen LEDs in my lows (today) and I also had terrible scattering. I didn’t really try adjusting them to the 3&9 position because I couldn’t get the dust covers back on regardless of how hard I tried. So I’m giving it a few months and I’m doing a complete headlamp replacement with either the Alpharex novas or the Morimotos. I’m tired of trying the drop in LEDs and them being a complete disappointment.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Like you I tried the CarRover 10,000 lumen LEDs in my lows (today) and I also had terrible scattering. I didn’t really try adjusting them to the 3&9 position because I couldn’t get the dust covers back on regardless of how hard I tried. So I’m giving it a few months and I’m doing a complete headlamp replacement with either the Alpharex novas or the Morimotos. I’m tired of trying the drop in LEDs and them being a complete disappointment.
Yeah. 3/4 of my dust covers closed no problem, but for some reason one did not clear the fan off the back fully so is 3/4 tabs locked in. Before settling on position i loosened the ring on the bulb and tried swiveling in all directions with the light on to test. 6/12 was the best for the lows.

I noticed today in morning driving (gloomy, but 45min after sunrise) that the highway signs 20' in the air were catching a lot more light than usual...

I'll try some of the 8 side bulbs, and then if those are also acting up just go to better halogens and call it for now.

I've not tried the brights yet, but scatter is less of a concern. I want them to be an upgrade of course, but i will not be using them when anyone else is within view.

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Yeah. 3/4 of my dust covers closed no problem, but for some reason one did not clear the fan off the back fully so is 3/4 tabs locked in. Before settling on position i loosened the ring on the bulb and tried swiveling in all directions with the light on to test. 6/12 was the best for the lows.

I noticed today in morning driving (gloomy, but 45min after sunrise) that the highway signs 20' in the air were catching a lot more light than usual...

I'll try some of the 8 side bulbs, and then if those are also acting up just go to better halogens and call it for now.

I've not tried the brights yet, but scatter is less of a concern. I want them to be an upgrade of course, but i will not be using them when anyone else is within view.
My current setup, and the one that I’ve had for quite some time now, consists of PIAA Xtreme White Plus halogens in my lows and the 16,000 lumen Auxitos in my highs. Honestly I do like my lights as they are but I want better.

Just a heads up about the multi sided LEDs, they in no way resemble or recreate a halogen filament. Your light output will be absolutely terrible. You will have considerably reduced visibility and so will oncoming traffic…because they will be blinded by all of the glare.

If you’re not going to do a complete headlamp replacement I recommend a high quality halogen bulb replacement, with either the PIAAs like I have or the Sylvania ZXE Gold like some other members on here. Yes the life expectancy of the brighter halogens is shorter but you will see better.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
My current setup, and the one that I’ve had for quite some time now, consists of PIAA Xtreme White Plus halogens in my lows and the 16,000 lumen Auxitos in my highs. Honestly I do like my lights as they are but I want better.

Just a heads up about the multi sided LEDs, they in no way resemble or recreate a halogen filament. Your light output will be absolutely terrible. You will have considerably reduced visibility and so will oncoming traffic…because they will be blinded by all of the glare.

If you’re not going to do a complete headlamp replacement I recommend a high quality halogen bulb replacement, with either the PIAAs like I have or the Sylvania ZXE Gold like some other members on here. Yes the life expectancy of the brighter halogens is shorter but you will see better.
Yeah i'm moving on. These are going back. driving in fairly heavy traffic this morning, 30 mintues past sunrise. Turning off my lowbeams you can see all the highway signs (20' in the air) ahead get noticeably dimmer. No one has flashed me, but clearly i'm throwing light where it shouldn't be. Will be keeping LED fogs/Highs, but lows will go back to an upgraded halogen.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
3 years later, my JDM Astars are still in operation without issue. Same goes for the Hikaris in the fog lamps.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah i'm moving on. These are going back. driving in fairly heavy traffic this morning, 30 mintues past sunrise. Turning off my lowbeams you can see all the highway signs (20' in the air) ahead get noticeably dimmer. No one has flashed me, but clearly i'm throwing light where it shouldn't be. Will be keeping LED fogs/Highs, but lows will go back to an upgraded halogen.
Yeah, largely that's the issue with LEDs in halogen housings. The design isn't intended for hot spots in the lights that you get with LEDs. I tried some LEDs in my housings before just upgrading the housing entirely. You may find the occasional winner or something that works for someone, but largely it's not something I'd depend on being reliable.
Sponsored