Larry Miller Ford (Mesa, Az)

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
It seems I'm an idiot. Maybe it's when I grew up or just how I was raised but always believe that when you say something that your word is your bond and you do it. Sometimes I forget it's not that way anymore.

Whoever owns Larry Miller Ford bought out Berge Ford so Berge Ford became Larry Miller Ford. I've dealt with Berge Ford and the service department many times over the years and always had great service and I was never lied to about the cost of something. So I really had no reason not to trust them this time.

I went to Larry Miller Ford last week to get a price on installing the FP Fox 2.0 Suspension kit. The price I was verbally quoted was between $400.00 and $450.00 which included alignment. I made an appointment to have the work done today but didn't think it was necessary to get a written quote. Like I said, I've always had great service there. I even went back to verify the time it would take to do the job and confirmed the quoted price. When I got there today another advisor started to check me in and even knew what I was there for. He asked me how much I was quoted. I said about $400.00 not thinking I'd actually have to be more accurate on my original quote. I was then told that the price was going to be $800.00 to install the parts and do the alignment. I told him that's not going to work because that's not what I was quoted and I even confirmed the price. He said well that's what it's going to be. The service advisor said let me talk to my manager.

Manager came out and said the book hours for this job is 4.6 hours and that's why it's going to cost $800.00. I told him that's not what I was quoted and he said without a written quote it's just hersay. He said that the person I talked with never gave me a quote on price just the amount of hours it would take. He said it would take someone in their driveway all weekend to do this. I laughed at that statement. He said he could give me fleet pricing which would knock $140.00 off the price which is still too much for the job. I said no, that's not what I was quoted and again he reiterated that it's just hearsay. So know I guess I'm a liar. He said I'm not saying your lying in which I replied that if you believed me you'd be honoring the quate I was originally given so that means you think I'm lying. He said if you could find someone to give you that price that's one hell of deal. Needless to say I drove away and they won't get anymore of my business. I'm not sure what happened to the people in this dealership but it sure has changed. I haven't been there in several years because I owned a Nissan Frontier and not a Ford anymore.

Yeah, I was a stupid fool that trusted people I shouldn't have. I freely admit that. I'll never be back to that dealership again for anything. They've lost a customer over this.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
One thing I learned long ago owning my own business. Word of mouth especially from dissatisfied customers is the fastest way to bring your business to it knees. All it takes is a few bad mouthing you to have countless customers go elsewhere. That can add up to 100’s of thousands in a car dealership

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Advise you also post your experience on social media . I had something similar happen to me years with discount tire - got a decent price quote on phone on michelin mvx tires, then went in to the store and price was a lot higher, left and wrote discount tire hq and they responded with a price quite a bit lower than the original quote - made me happy and I bought all my tires there for the last 10 yrs .

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Do you have the name of the person that gave you the quote originally and did you ask to speak to him?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
It seems I'm an idiot. Maybe it's when I grew up or just how I was raised but always believe that when you say something that your word is your bond and you do it. Sometimes I forget it's not that way anymore.

Whoever owns Larry Miller Ford bought out Berge Ford so Berge Ford became Larry Miller Ford. I've dealt with Berge Ford and the service department many times over the years and always had great service and I was never lied to about the cost of something. So I really had no reason not to trust them this time.

I went to Larry Miller Ford last week to get a price on installing the FP Fox 2.0 Suspension kit. The price I was verbally quoted was between $400.00 and $450.00 which included alignment. I made an appointment to have the work done today but didn't think it was necessary to get a written quote. Like I said, I've always had great service there. I even went back to verify the time it would take to do the job and confirmed the quoted price. When I got there today another advisor started to check me in and even knew what I was there for. He asked me how much I was quoted. I said about $400.00 not thinking I'd actually have to be more accurate on my original quote. I was then told that the price was going to be $800.00 to install the parts and do the alignment. I told him that's not going to work because that's not what I was quoted and I even confirmed the price. He said well that's what it's going to be. The service advisor said let me talk to my manager.

Manager came out and said the book hours for this job is 4.6 hours and that's why it's going to cost $800.00. I told him that's not what I was quoted and he said without a written quote it's just hersay. He said that the person I talked with never gave me a quote on price just the amount of hours it would take. He said it would take someone in their driveway all weekend to do this. I laughed at that statement. He said he could give me fleet pricing which would knock $140.00 off the price which is still too much for the job. I said no, that's not what I was quoted and again he reiterated that it's just hearsay. So know I guess I'm a liar. He said I'm not saying your lying in which I replied that if you believed me you'd be honoring the quate I was originally given so that means you think I'm lying. He said if you could find someone to give you that price that's one hell of deal. Needless to say I drove away and they won't get anymore of my business. I'm not sure what happened to the people in this dealership but it sure has changed. I haven't been there in several years because I owned a Nissan Frontier and not a Ford anymore.

Yeah, I was a stupid fool that trusted people I shouldn't have. I freely admit that. I'll never be back to that dealership again for anything. They've lost a customer over this.
Call Peoria Ford ( (623) 239-3722 ) and ask for Justin Reed in the service dept (tell him Chris McVay told you to call). He's my service advisor and a straight-shooting kind of guy. Tell him all of this and ask him to get you a quote for the install. Maybe he can help, or maybe he can confirm what Larry Miller Ford says the rate will be. Either way you don't lose anything by asking and I think you can expect a straight answer from Justin at all times. That in itself will be a bit of a relief.

I had them do my Ford/Fox leveling kit and am well satisfied with the process. I think I paid just under $1200 for the kit, the install, and the alignment...but don't quote me on that as I'm at work and can't verify my expenditure til I get home.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
If it isn't in writing it didn't happen.

This applies to everything in life.

The most ideal answer is this; an employee screwed up and gave you an incorrect quote. No work has been done so I'm not sure what your beef could be beyond being upset and wanting the employees to be educated. I don't think asking the company to eat $400 of that kind of mistake is reasonable in the slightest. If I was the dealership I'd toss in a free oil change for wasting your time, but beyond that I'm not on board with what you want. People make mistakes, in your case, besides the time, you've not been harmed in any fashion.

Also, everyone loves to write themselves off as the victim in these interactions. Now I am not saying you were rude or overly demanding, but there are always three sides to every story.

I've been in your position and recently. I just wash my hands of the matter and let word of mouth do what it does.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few holes in your story. The devil is in the details.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
$400 to $450 is pretty standard on the FPP kit. I paid under $2k for everything

Fox Pricing.jpg
AHA!
Could be that I paid just under $2K for the whole shebang.
Now I can't wait to get home and see my receipts....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One thing I learned long ago owning my own business. Word of mouth especially from dissatisfied customers is the fastest way to bring your business to it knees. All it takes is a few bad mouthing you to have countless customers go elsewhere. That can add up to 100’s of thousands in a car dealership
Exactly! After 35 years in business one thing I learned early on was to get EVERYTHING in writing! Sadly the days of taking someones word is long gone. I was brought up that a handshake was as good as a mans word, not anymore.

I second what @Chris M said and call Peoria Ford. I've had nothing but good luck with them from my sale to any service that they've done. They've always been honest and upfront. Good luck!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Sounds like the $400-450 verbal quote was just a mistake or misunderstanding, it happens. They gave a firm price the before doing any work, so I don’t see a problem here.

nevada.tracy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Stay away from Facillo Ford in East Greenbush New York too. They all lie there too. Con artists

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
450.00 is a deal! 4.6 hours to the tech is spot on in my opinion. And at a buck 40/hour you can see how that adds up. 650. sounds about right. Should of took it.
If I was still slingin' wrenches there's no way I would've done that job for warranty time!
Service writers can be down right liars just to get you to toss the keys, Believe me! I know.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

Sounds like an genuine miscommunication to me.

Hi, I'd like a price on installing FX2?
Hi, I'd like a price on the FX2 installed?

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
450.00 is a deal! 4.6 hours to the tech is spot on in my opinion. And at a buck 40/hour you can see how that adds up. 650. sounds about right. Should of took it.
If I was still slingin' wrenches there's no way I would've done that job for warranty time!
Service writers can be down right liars just to get you to toss the keys, Believe me! I know.

Good lord man, I did mine in 3 hours with basic hand tools in my garage.
Sponsored