Lane Keep assist

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
When lane keep assist is set to alert only the steering wheel "rumbles" to let you know you are no longer in the lane. I noticed when using lane keep assist with alert and aid turned on, the steering wheel no longer "rumbles" when I veer off, even if I force the truck to continue to go in that direction. I also noticed that the colors go from green to yellow on the dash, but never turn red when using alert and aid. Even if I cross over to the other lane. Is this normal?
Mine does the same thing and I have been thinking it was not right. My Wife's Honda Pilot shakes and puts you back in the lane. I think Ford might have an issue with this one.
Sponsored

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I was on a 6 lane (3 each way) highway yesterday and made some no signal lane changes in aid + alert mode and paid close attention. I have both set to minimum.

I tried to keep my lane changes pretty gradual and natural, not abrupt and not real drawn out. Speed limit is 70 MPH and I was going 75 with cruise on.

When my wheels began to cross the lane marker line the line on the display turned yellow and I got the gentle correction. As I kept going the line turned red and I got the steering wheel shake.

I changed it to alert only and the shake is much stronger. Maybe this is why some of us didn't notice the shake in aid + alert? I had first tried it in alert only, so was pretty used to that intensity.

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The system disables itself if it’s interpreting your steering command as “evasive”. Maybe your attempts are proving that it’s working as designed?

There’s a lot of conditions going into what the system will/won’t do.
As mentioned multiple times. It has been to the dealer who says it is not working. I have drove other Rangers and it works. End of story.
Find a gentle turn, no traffic and hold the steering wheel lightly and dont turn until you start tossing tumbleweeds into the air. At the same time have a passenger, wearing a helmet for safety, firmly holding a camera, super steady, showing your steering wheel and gauge cluster, take a short video and post it up here so "we get it"
you're a real funny guy. Go bother someone else.
I was on a 6 lane (3 each way) highway yesterday and made some no signal lane changes in aid + alert mode and paid close attention. I have both set to minimum.

I tried to keep my lane changes pretty gradual and natural, not abrupt and not real drawn out. Speed limit is 70 MPH and I was going 75 with cruise on.

When my wheels began to cross the lane marker line the line on the display turned yellow and I got the gentle correction. As I kept going the line turned red and I got the steering wheel shake.

I changed it to alert only and the shake is much stronger. Maybe this is why some of us didn't notice the shake in aid + alert? I had first tried it in alert only, so was pretty used to that intensity.
I have done exactly as you did and the only difference is in alert in mode set at high no shaking.

And what is weird about this is why does it work the way it does.? In the other Rangers I drove to see how it should work, I was almost completely in the other lane before and shaking occurred. Well maybe 1/2 way to all the way into the other lane. One would think it would shake earlier.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I don't use it, I figure since I've been driving for 47yrs without it and I'm still alive its more of a novelty than assistant
If I can do the math I have been driving for 60 + years and 50 some licensed. I drive cars back from auction for a Ford dealer so one of the cars I drove back had it switched on and it took me a bit to figure out what was going on and less time to know I don't like it. I don't use it and find it a little too easy to turn on accidentally.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I have the system alerts on max for both aid and alert. There is a strong nudge if I start to cross and the display shows yellow. When it turns red, it feels like I am going over rumble strips but without the audio queues that accompany going over real ones.

I drive through two mountains passes to get to the lake almost every weekend during the summer. It's a 6hr round-trip. I tend to drift over the shoulder line when going through two lane tight switchbacks if a vehicle or semi is coming up or down the pass towards me, so I feel it often. :)

JLS80

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have mine on, and I could swear the lines showed green on the HUD. Today I noticed they weren't green, just gray.

OP
OP
MannyS

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I notice that Alert mode is a lot stronger when used by itself. I don't feel it at all when using both "alert + aid". I do feel it when using the "alert" setting only

Deleted member 1634

I have mine on, and I could swear the lines showed green on the HUD. Today I noticed they weren't green, just gray.
Gray means it's not detecting any lines to use as reference. I often see the left line green and right line gray when the white/shoulder line is either covered by crack sealer or never existed in the first place. haha

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
The other day i was driving and my car jerked back hard the opposite way i was running off the road. It scared me but i thought it was the uneven lane between the lane and the shoulder. Is that the lane keep assist?
I recently discovered this on the blinker arm and turned it on. Later that day for the few days following I noticed that my Ranger tended to feel like it slipped. Like if I was going around a bend on a fast road, it would feel like I hit a tiny patch of ice. Just a bit; just enough to scare me. Then I did a quick lane change and it "slipped" bad enough that I stopped at the next spot and made sure I didn't have a flat. It was then that I thought maybe it's the lane assist. Turned it off 3 days ago now and haven't had the slipping again. I can only assume that when I was going around the bend I let it drift across the line or something since there was no traffic around and it tried to pull me back.

I'm just glad someone else had similar experiences because I was worried maybe it was something else and I'd never be able to convince the guys at the Ford shop that I wasn't crazy. :)

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
LOL, reading all the Hatfield and McCoy type of divide responses is hilarious. I actually decided I wasn't even going to post my concern if no one else had posted anything. I assumed I would get the same kind of vitriol on both sides ... like the Auto Stop/Start or Tailgate Damper. Seems like there's a clear division on some of these issues. :)

Personally, I don't care which side people are on. I can turn it on or off like everyone else. I was just happy to confirm that I wasn't the only one having this problem (or feature depending on your opinion). Also, good to know that I can adjust the settings because when I turned it on I didn't get any alerts, noises, lights, etc. I actually wouldn't mind an alert light or something.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I don't blame you for being cautious about what you post here lately. It seems folks sure are opinionated, and a bit less than civilized now a days.

I've played with 'Lane Keep Assist', for about a year, and am still wondering whether I like it or not.
So far, It seems really slow to react, and over-corrects, and then doesn't bring me back.
Thus, I really don't use it, or trust it.
Just my 2 cents.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Personally, I don't care which side people are on. I can turn it on or off like everyone else. I was just happy to confirm that I wasn't the only one having this problem (or feature depending on your opinion). Also, good to know that I can adjust the settings because when I turned it on I didn't get any alerts, noises, lights, etc. I actually wouldn't mind an alert light or something.
If you look at the little truck on your dash display, at least on my 2019 XLT the lines on either side of the truck change color. They are grey when either the camera does not see a line to guide from or you are below 45 MPH. They turn green when above 45 MPH and the camera sees lines. They turn yellow when you are getting close to the line on one side of the truck or the other. I do agree the Haptic alert can be rather subtle and missed. An audible warning would be nice. My wifes Mazda it feels like rumble strips when you get close to the line and lights sirens go off if you go over the line. I t was a bit scary the first time I did it, does wake you up. The correction in the Ranger can be a bit abrupt at time but it is noticeable. The Mazda is much more subtle in it's correction hardly noticeable, Sometimes wonder if it is working except for the lights and sirens. Not sure which one I like better.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
the thing is...what was it designed for?
for an auto pilot type experience, ??
or for that moment where your judgement, or attention lapses, and it's the ditch, or keeping you on the pavement before you end up off the road and faced with a rollover when the real overreaction occurs ???

I'm pretty sure Ford didnt design it as an autopilot.
RP,

You are correct....No Autopilot. Foolish to treat lane assist for anything other than an aid to keep you on the road with both hands on the steering wheel. The 2021 F Series is a true autopilot when launched...not our Rangers.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
the thing is...what was it designed for?
for an auto pilot type experience, ??
or for that moment where your judgement, or attention lapses, and it's the ditch, or keeping you on the pavement before you end up off the road and faced with a rollover when the real overreaction occurs ???

I'm pretty sure Ford didnt design it as an autopilot.
I assumed it was going to give me some kind of indication that I was drifting over the line. Maybe visual or audio. Maybe even offer some resistance in the steering, which it did do somewhat. What I wasn't expecting was the feeling that my truck tires were sliding or that I had a flat. I was so relieved when I read others and could confirm that my issue was the lane assist. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the truck.

Again, don't care whether someone wants it use it or not. My opinion, notably worth next to nothing, is the implementation isn't good. I have called friends who have this in their cars (different model cars). One loves it the other doesn't. But neither had this issue.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I prefer an adjustable audio alert rather than the steering wheel shaking making me wonder what's wrong with my truck.
Sponsored