Key stuck in spare tire crank lock!!

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Guess they had to delete the lock due to the "chip shortage."

:sunglasses:
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
@Stewthebassman happy you got yours worked out!

The whole keyed plug thing was terrible. They put a cover on the front side, which being on the back of the truck, really only gets a little rain or snow on it occasionally, but they left the back side of it open, which is exposed to the underside of the truck and all the rain, snow, dirt and debris being thrown at it while driving. It needs to be regularly lubricated or it will get sticky and or seize.

Worse than that, it's a cheap plastic lock, in a piece of sheet plastic that is a 'security' feature to prevent spare wheel theft. It can be forced out with a screwdriver or a sharp razor knife to cut it free. Also I don't know anyone who has had their spare stolen, even those without a plastic defense system.

Good decision to drop it.

OP
OP
Stewthebassman

Stewthebassman

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT F4 Tow package
Occupation
Investment Advisor
Ah yes, great analysis! All this is 100% on point!!

The whole keyed plug thing was terrible. They put a cover on the front side, which being on the back of the truck, really only gets a little rain or snow on it occasionally, but they left the back side of it open, which is exposed to the underside of the truck and all the rain, snow, dirt and debris being thrown at it while driving. It needs to be regularly lubricated or it will get sticky and or seize.

Worse than that, it's a cheap plastic lock, in a piece of sheet plastic that is a 'security' feature to prevent spare wheel theft. It can be forced out with a screwdriver or a sharp razor knife to cut it free. Also I don't know anyone who has had their spare stolen, even those without a plastic defense system.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Now I have to design, and 3D print a cover for that hole!
I'll make millions$$, I say MILLIONS$$. Well, maybe $5.
You might have to remove your damper first…

Maybe tap/rap it on a hard surface to see if it resets, bottom side.
Reminds me of my plasma table when it acts up (sticky solenoid). Sometimes a hard knock on the cabinet fixes the problem. I call that a 'vibration reset'.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Does this mean anyone can gain access to the spare?
Sure but that lock isn't anything special. Someone hell bent on stealing your spare could pry that lock out no problem. Considering they would also need to be strolling around with the bar needed to drop the spare I don't think it is a huge issue. If someone really wants to steal the spare that lock is probably just a minor annoyance and not really a deterrent in my opinion.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT

Indeed. I have the keyed securityplug but I have it hanging out in the glovebox. I would rather chance the spare getting stolen rather than getting stuck somewhere because I destroyed the key trying to fix the ops original issue.

OP
OP
Stewthebassman

Stewthebassman

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT F4 Tow package
Occupation
Investment Advisor
Good call!

Indeed. I have the keyed securityplug but I have it hanging out in the glovebox. I would rather chance the spare getting stolen rather than getting stuck somewhere because I destroyed the key trying to fix the ops original issue.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Or a design flaw that results in it attempting to hold keys hostage.
I'm guessing that due to that 6 ounce lock deletion the ass end on a '23 is even higher than the previous models.

:bandit:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My truck has 17" wheels and tires on the ground and it
came with a 16" tire on a unique aluminum spare wheel.
Unless they just want the scrap aluminum, why bother....

Besides, the beer store down the street is giving away blue aluminum cans by the case by now...
and all you have to do is pour them down the sink and crush them! :giggle:
Sponsored