Just what we needed!

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Ridiculous Gov't over reach, so how about distracted driving from texting, nav systems, etc.
how will the Gov't save us from that??:rolleyes:
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Some other countries are VERY harsh with DUI.
One has a possible 10 year prison term for your first DUI if convicted. Another has a public flogging upon your first DUI conviction. Others, for first conviction have anywhere from a 3 year to a 10 year license revocation...no exceptions, no "work permits".
In some countries if you kill someone while DUI, you can be convicted of murder and face possible execution.
Here your first DUI gets you basically a slap on the wrist.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It will be interesting to see what happens to Henry Rugs III. He was a star receiver for U O Alabama and was drafted first round by the Raiders. Well just last week he killed a woman and her dog while drunk driving. Estimated top speed was 156 mph and 127 mph at time pf impact on a residential street! The car burst into flames and the other driver and her dog were killed. He was TWICE the legal limit and is now facing 20 - 40 years in jail.

It's a sad story and a waste of talent (I followed him through his time at UOA) and it'll be interesting to see what sentence he gets. I think we've all done some dumb stuff when we were young but this, driving that fast drunk on a residential street, was not one fo them.

https://news.yahoo.com/ex-raiders-henry-ruggs-iii-151302736.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

There's some videos in this link. The first video shows the aftermath and if you keep watching it loops to the street cams which caught him speeding down the street right before the crash. He's hauling A$$!:mad:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/02/video-deadly-henry-ruggs-car-crash-left-suv-ablaze/

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Now my concern is not so much my car checking if I am paying attention and I don't drive drunk so no worries there either. The concern is if the system fails and suddenly while I'm driving down the road totally sober and attentive next thing I know my car is warning me or pulling over and shutting down. Imagine going somewhere important that you need to be on time to and the computer craps out and decides you are not capable of driving anymore. I mean they have enough problems with Ford Sync and now my car is making judgment calls? :)

I think there is a lot of work to be done before such a system is practical and of the same importance reliable.
This reminds me of a rental Toyota that I had in Columbus OH.

The highways on the north side of town were under construction and the roads were pretty bad, with lots of the tar lines running everywhere across them.

I can feel the steering wheel tugging at me but this was early in the lane maintaining era so it didn't click what was happening.

Eventually the car pops up a warning in the dash with a picture of a cup of coffee saying "Maybe You Should Take A Break".

It had mistaken the tar lines weaving across the road for me wandering all over the road.

It would've been great if the system had decided I was drunk and pulled over to the side of the road and called the cops.

If the above mentioned system of in-car cameras gets deployed, I imagine it will also watch for using a cell phone/texting.

While I firmly believe that accidents would drop precipitously if all traffic inside a city was automated, the current generation would never accept it.

The generation coming up now would welcome it with open arms.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Back in the mid 80's and early 90's, as a PO. I was in a specialized unit, a traffic accident/homicide reconstructionist. Got called to accidents involving critical injuries and/or fatalities. Had to do a reconstruction of the accident scene, and the scene, no matter how big was treated just like a homicide investigation.
Additionally, my job also consisted of filing charges against the driver at fault, including DUI Manslaughter.
Usual sentence ran from 3-7 years, prison time, usually half served before eligible for parole.
One of the worst I investigated was a DUI who drove thru a school zone (15 mph speed limit) as an elementary school was letting out. Killed two kids, brother and sister, 7 and 9 years old. Judge gave him 27 years of which he had to serve a minimum of 15 before he was eligible for parole.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Here in SoCal, the center for never ending freeway construction projects, there are sections of road that have been striped, erased, re-striped, re-erased, re-striped again, all in a different spot, the camera wants you to follow the wrong erased stripes, it's a joke.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
This is interesting. I think it's too early for me to like or hate it objectively. I don't think we are near a technology that will be effective enough to be embraced en masse or even make a statistical bump in outcomes. I'm going to hold out on judgement until I see how they plan to implement it and what the intrusion/burden is us non-drinkers.

I don't think current policies and penalties are sufficient enough for DUIs. I also have a love/hate relationship with this type of regulation. I don't like regulating common sense, but I also hate selfish stupid people that put me in danger.

Seatbelts are an example: ME not wearing a seatbelt doesn't endanger YOUR family, but the value of wearing a seatbelt is obvious and anyone who isn't stupid should wear them. Not wearing seatbelts only costs the insurance companies more so I feel it was a regulation to protect profits. But things like drunk driving, where YOUR behavior directly puts me or my loved ones at great harm (friend and neighbor killed by drunk driver), it's hard for me to outright hate regulations that could reduce your stupid, getting me killed.

If your stupid can only kill you, I support you and your freedoms 100%. If your willful, selfish, level of stupid puts me or my family at risk in a public right of way - It's hard not to support efforts to eliminate if not substantially mitigate it.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The next step will be to govern vehicle speed to what the camera reads as the posted speed limit. Safety concerns are legit but beware if it starts to become an excuse to exercise control over the masses (like the gun grabbers).

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It will be interesting to see what happens to Henry Rugs III. He was a star receiver for U O Alabama and was drafted first round by the Raiders. Well just last week he killed a woman and her dog while drunk driving. Estimated top speed was 156 mph and 127 mph at time pf impact on a residential street! The car burst into flames and the other driver and her dog were killed. He was TWICE the legal limit and is now facing 20 - 40 years in jail.
This guy is pretty much getting a free ride in the media right now because all the outrage in sports is directed at Aaron Rogers because of a shot. I turn on the national sports talk shows on XM an every host rips on Rogers. Not a word on Ruggs. His crash was a 1 day story. The sports media is just as liberal if not more liberal than the regular media. They love an excuse to drift into political/social areas.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This guy is pretty much getting a free ride in the media right now because all the outrage in sports is directed at Aaron Rogers because of a shot. I turn on the national sports talk shows on XM an every host rips on Rogers. Not a word on Ruggs. His crash was a 1 day story. The sports media is just as liberal if not more liberal than the regular media. They love an excuse to drift into political/social areas.
Yeah this was 1000x's worse than what Rogers did and yet crickets! I even saw where Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long had to put their 0.02 in during the pre game show too. I haven't watched football in a few years now but I see this on my homepage. It sucks because I have Cardinals season tickets 12th row off the field right on the 40 yard line. At least they're doing good this year and I'm making money selling them. Until they get politics out of the game I refuse to watch it anymore. Honestly I don't miss it anyways and watch college ball which is usually more exciting.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah this was 1000x's worse than what Rogers did and yet crickets! I even saw where Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long had to put their 0.02 in during the pre game show too. I haven't watched football in a few years now but I see this on my homepage. It sucks because I have Cardinals season tickets 12th row off the field right on the 40 yard line. At least they're doing good this year and I'm making money selling them. Until they get politics out of the game I refuse to watch it anymore. Honestly I don't miss it anyways and watch college ball which is usually more exciting.
Seems people in the public eye are living to avoid the cancelmob. Terry an Howie seem to have taken to virtue signaling like the majority of the media/woke class.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
You all do realize don't you that the end game of these regulations is getting rid of manual vehicle control completely. Fully computer controlled and automated transportation. Take the human element out of the equation all together. The only manual vehicles will be off road purpose built rigs not allowed on the controlled roadways. It's coming, not soon, but I expect to see the start of it within 20 years with the high speed freeways, as soon as you enter a on ramp the traffic control computer takes over. Si-Fi?? Elon Musk doesn't think so.
"You will own nothing. And you will be happy." Be careful what you wish for.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Here in SoCal, the center for never ending freeway construction projects, there are sections of road that have been striped, erased, re-striped, re-erased, re-striped again, all in a different spot, the camera wants you to follow the wrong erased stripes, it's a joke.
Same here in South Florida, and probably any other major metropolitan area. Automated "Lane-Keeping" systems are dangerous because of this. I love automation, but shitty automation is worse than stupid humans. I had one car with such a system, and the first time it shoved me into the next lane (unoccupied, fortunately) I disabled it permanently. So I didn't care about getting the "Ford 360" package. Now if we could make the Auto-Start/Stop system remember MY desired state, we'd really be getting somewhere.
Sponsored