First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Over the years, the NHTSA has mandated a number of so-called "safety features". THE CHMSL was one of the first, along with airbags all around. No question these add-ons save lives. A few, like the mandatory seatbelt snap "feature" before being able to start the vehicle, didn't last long, thank you!

Then the auto makers started to use computers to control everything, even to the point of recording several minutes of cockpit audio, just like planes are required to have. Along with the computerization, came Navi screens. Oh! Now that we have a screen, why not put the HVAC, radio, Satellite radio controls, and a bunch of other things, instead of using knobs. The radio volume control went away, but came back as owners complained. There was (is) an unfortunate side effect of all of this computerization—driver distraction! And least I forget, the screens have enlarged to the point, they take up 35% of the dash area! Wow!

But oh boy, (perhaps) you haven't heard the latest. Now the NHTSA is asking auto makers to come up with a way to stop drunk drivers from driving. This begs the question, are we all going to have plastic tubes jutting from the dash board (if they can find room) to blow into, each time we want to drive our ride? Okay! Heck no! So I have an idea!

Lets just replace the whole darn dash with a very large OLED display. Big enough mind you, that it comes on with a Jeopardy-like list of answers, to which you have to post the questions? Get one wrong, and you have to call your 10 year old son for assistance! If this keeps up, we're going to have to be like Avatars, and plug are tools into our tailpipes!!
Sponsored

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Over the years, the NHTSA has mandated a number of so-called "safety features". THE CHMSL was one of the first, along with airbags all around. No question these add-ons save lives. A few, like the mandatory seatbelt snap "feature" before being able to start the vehicle, didn't last long, thank you!

Then the auto makers started to use computers to control everything, even to the point of recording several minutes of cockpit audio, just like planes are required to have. Along with the computerization, came Navi screens. Oh! Now that we have a screen, why not put the HVAC, radio, Satellite radio controls, and a bunch of other things, instead of using knobs. The radio volume control went away, but came back as owners complained. There was (is) an unfortunate side effect of all of this computerization—driver distraction! And least I forget, the screens have enlarged to the point, they take up 35% of the dash area! Wow!

But oh boy, (perhaps) you haven't heard the latest. Now the NHTSA is asking auto makers to come up with a way to stop drunk drivers from driving. This begs the question, are we all going to have plastic tubes jutting from the dash board (if they can find room) to blow into, each time we want to drive our ride? Okay! Heck no! So I have an idea!

Lets just replace the whole darn dash with a very large OLED display. Big enough mind you, that it comes on with a Jeopardy-like list of answers, to which you have to post the questions? Get one wrong, and you have to call your 10 year old son for assistance! If this keeps up, we're going to have to be like Avatars, and plug are tools into our tailpipes!!
Yes...it was in the news several weeks ago that the Feds are working on mandatory breathalyzers to be placed on ALL vehicles in the future. What a PITA!!! Especially when they malfunction or react to your mouthwash (yes they do that). Not to mention the increased cost to the consumer placed upon every vehicle. Big Government out of control. I won't even get into the fact that penalties for drunk driving are just not harsh enough.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes...it was in the news several weeks ago that the Feds are working on mandatory breathalyzers to be placed on ALL vehicles in the future. What a PITA!!! Especially when they malfunction or react to your mouthwash (yes they do that). Not to mention the increased cost to the consumer placed upon every vehicle. Big Government out of control. I won't even get into the fact that penalties for drunk driving are just not harsh enough.
Add cold medicine to that list too. Sure you really shouldn't be driving if your taking NyQuil but there are others that don't knock you out that have alcohol in them.

There's an easier solution....Have the judges to their job and actually lock these drunks up! Obviously not for the first offense but I've seen where many are on their 4/5th DUI. So many get out of court with a slap on the wrist and turn right around and do it all over again.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
WOW...forgot our Rangers already come with a funnel. Just need the "Insert Funnel Here" sticker on the dash.
Have it attached to a braided connector hose that tucks between the seats. Just have a small tank underneath like they do in RV's with a quick flush line. lol ?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
You all do realize don't you that the end game of these regulations is getting rid of manual vehicle control completely. Fully computer controlled and automated transportation. Take the human element out of the equation all together. The only manual vehicles will be off road purpose built rigs not allowed on the controlled roadways. It's coming, not soon, but I expect to see the start of it within 20 years with the high speed freeways, as soon as you enter a on ramp the traffic control computer takes over. Si-Fi?? Elon Musk doesn't think so.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
You all do realize don't you that the end game of these regulations is getting rid of manual vehicle control completely. Fully computer controlled and automated transportation. Take the human element out of the equation all together. The only manual vehicles will be off road purpose built rigs not allowed on the controlled roadways. It's coming, not soon, but I expect to see the start of it within 20 years with the high speed freeways, as soon as you enter a on ramp the traffic control computer takes over. Si-Fi?? Elon Musk doesn't think so.
That, and/or control who can drive and who can not and where they go and where they can’t go.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
WOW...forgot our Rangers already come with a funnel. Just need the "Insert Funnel Here" sticker on the dash.
Comment of the day award!

1636587566877.png

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Got a link? All I got from the post was quotes that they're merely asking them to look into it, not necessarily forcing them to do it.

Reactions: EJH

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If DUI penalties were harsher, folks might think twice before doing it.

First offence = big fine.

Second offence = your car gets crushed while you watch. Too bad if you borrowed someone else's car. Some cities used to do this to street racer cars. It cut street racing WAY down.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
From what I understand the mandate is for manufacturers to find and develop technology to limit drunk driving as well as inattentive driving with a plan for said technology to be required in 2026. What they are looking at is passive systems and not built in breathalyzers that you have to blow in like interlock devices commonly required for people convicted of DUI.

A quote on current systems being used and tested for consideration:

Sam Abuelsamid, principal mobility analyst for Guidehouse Insights, said the most likely system to prevent drunken driving is infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. That technology is already being installed by automakers such as General Motors, BMW and Nissan to track driver attentiveness while using partially automated driver-assist systems.

The cameras make sure a driver is watching the road, and they look for signs of drowsiness, loss of consciousness or impairment.

If signs are spotted, the cars will warn the driver, and if the behavior persists, the car would turn on its hazard lights, slow down and pull to the side of the road.

Abuelsamid said breathalyzers aren’t a practical solution because many people would object to being forced to blow into a tube every time they get into the car. “I don’t think it’s going to go over very well with a lot of people,” he said.
Now my concern is not so much my car checking if I am paying attention and I don't drive drunk so no worries there either. The concern is if the system fails and suddenly while I'm driving down the road totally sober and attentive next thing I know my car is warning me or pulling over and shutting down. Imagine going somewhere important that you need to be on time to and the computer craps out and decides you are not capable of driving anymore. I mean they have enough problems with Ford Sync and now my car is making judgment calls? :)

I think there is a lot of work to be done before such a system is practical and of the same importance reliable.
Sponsored