Is there any disadvantage to a SuperCab?

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
if you don't care about size, why not just get an f150?
I do care about size and have a ‘02 F-150 SuperCrew now. Problem is In the 20 years I’ve owned mine, they have grown considerably (see the photos). I know I want a midsize (definitely not a full-size), but Ford is the only BoF midsize that doesn’t offer a SuperCrew/longbed configuration. I just don’t like the other brands enough to pull the trigger and am hopeful the next gen Ranger will come through on my wish?!?!

CB357407-D761-4047-8374-4BC556D61510.jpeg

83278FFF-BBC4-46F3-8649-25EA5ABB828E.jpeg
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
At least the 5g SCab's have a seating advantage over the 4g SCab's (Extended Cabs). My 1999 and 2011 Ranger had fold up jump seats in the rear. Similar to the pic below. These were useless as far as seating goes...small and uncomfortable. But the advantage of these is you have more storage space in the back area of the cab when they were folded up. The 5g's have real seats even though this is a tight area and I feel it is a good compromise from the 4g's.

Ranger 4g rear seating.jpg

Left side.jpg

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I have owned 6 pickups over the past 45 years, 3 regular cabs, 1 extended cab and 2 quad cabs. Four of them had 6' beds and the two quad cabs had 5' beds. Never once have I wished I had an 8' bed when I owned a 6' bed and never once have I wished I had a 6' bed when I had a 5' bed.

I have two 12' long kayaks and I have carried them in both the 5' bed and 6' bed, there is no real advantage for the 6' bed. If I was to be traveling long distances with the kayaks I would get bed racks and carry them with the excess length over the cab. I have also carried dirt bikes in the beds of both lengths and again there was no real advantage to the 6' bed.

As you can imagine a regular cab was always an issue when traveling especially the one I had with bucket seats and a console, the other two you could carry another person in a pinch but none of them really had any place to carry stuff. The extended cab solved the issue with where to carry stuff in the cab and where the dogs could sit but still was not a place where you would want to sit for an extended period.

As you can guess I think a quad cab has it all over an extended cab pickup. The only down side IMHO is the added cost of the quad cab and the asthetics of the cab to bed proportions.

Ranger Trav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Smart Guy
One difference that I noticed when I drove my neighbor's SCrew: The Scab driver seat (mine) doesn't slide back as far. I have mine all the way back. His, I almost needed to move it forward an inch.

I was comparing my electric Lariat seat to his base manual seat, not sure if that accounts for the difference.

Something to consider if you are extra long legged.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I live in a 3rd floor condo unit an I can clearly hear my truck when I remote start it. Now I have to listen for it to know it started. I've heard the HP fuel pump an high pressure injectors are noisy on these trucks but I think the fan is loud too. I just think it's overall quieter an I notice it in the truck too.
I'm talking about a noise when you use remote start before it locks/unlocks, or periodically when off/locked it chirps (not running).

Very audible if you are outside near it and it's quiet.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Yes maybe I'm the only idiot that runs into this thing but one time I did it in a rush and almost got knocked out.

IMG_20220124_164831492.jpg
Oh good Lord, there's something else to look out for. I damn near knocked myself out jumping into my Jeep, and hitting my big ol' dumb head on the roll bar. That thing there looks like it will draw blood. :)

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Did the SCAB recall every get the parts to release the SCABs for sale, or are all the new ones still on a sales hold? I guess you can get used, as long as it's private party or not from a dealer that has rules against selling with active recalls.
I took mine to the dealer for the recalls and I guess it's fixed but they still show up on Ford Pass.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
+You get to say things like, "I went to my Ford Dealer and picked one of his SCabs. He had a black one, but I picked the bright red one!"
Reminds me years ago with my first Ranger, it had the same Firestone tires that were part of the Explorer recall. The offending tires were all made at the same Firestone plant and had serial numbers beginning with the letters VD.
True story. JohnnyO calls the dealer. They all know me.
Ring-ring. "Service, Ralph speaking."
"This is JohnnyO, my tires got VD."
Service guy doesn't miss a beat. "You should be more careful where you drive then."

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
IMG_20210329_162751_145.jpg

I love my supercab! Can't think of any disadvantages aside from weaker aftermarket support vs the supercrew. When you need the 6ft bed, it REALLY comes in handy. Plus, I sleep in mine from time to time.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
One difference that I noticed when I drove my neighbor's SCrew: The Scab driver seat (mine) doesn't slide back as far. I have mine all the way back. His, I almost needed to move it forward an inch.

I was comparing my electric Lariat seat to his base manual seat, not sure if that accounts for the difference.

The seat in mine (international Version) slides back as far I can‘t reach the steering wheel anymore…
Did you have seatbelts adjustable in high and is your steering column changeable in length?
They told me this features are only available for SCrew for international AND american market… which is a real problem for me being 1,93m. I can‘t find a proper seating and after having the truck in pieces after a crash i can’t see a reason why except the dealer was kidding me.

Last edited:

Ranger Trav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Smart Guy
The seat in mine (international Version) slides back as far I can‘t reach the steering wheel anymore…
Did you have seatbelts adjustable in high and is your steering column changeable in length?
They told me this features are only available for SCrew for international AND american market… which is a real problem for me being 1,93m. I can‘t find a proper seating and after having the truck in pieces after a crash i can’t see a reason why except the dealer was kidding me.
My steering wheel tilts but does not telescope and the seat belts are fixed. I would not be surprised if those were only SCrew international features. Sometimes dealers tell the truth. Sometimes. ?

SpaceGhost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

Being 6'5" this was a big plus for me. I test drove a lariat with electric seats and then a xlt with manual seats and the manual does give more leg room.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My steering wheel tilts but does not telescope and the seat belts are fixed.
NA 5Gs don't have the adjustable seatbelts: odd because every other NA Ford I can think of does.
The Owners Manual is poorly illustrated and worded, but the steering wheel/column does telescope.

I'll try to s'plain it better:
  • Release the lever located on the left side of the column near the instrument panel by rotating it down.
  • Adjust the column by moving the steering wheel up or down, and/or toward or away from you.
  • While holding the steering wheel in the desired position, rotate the release lever up fully to lock the column in place.
The telescoping doesn't have a lot of range, maybe 3 or 4 inches.
Adjustable pedals would be nice.

Attachments

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
About the only disadvantage I can think of is ease of resale, most people prefer having 4 doors, as witnessed by the volume of S/Crews on the road.

However, out of sheer curiosity I listed my 2020 Lariat S/Cab 4x2 for sale on FB marketplace, within the first hour of the listing I had 8 inquiries. Asking price was $41K, I paid $37K for it brand new, I've no intention of selling it just yet, was just testing the waters.

Such is the insane demand for used vehicles now.
Sponsored