Is there an official ford guidence for "Approved tire size"?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Ok.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/vehicles/Ranger-packs

Screenshot_20220824-110943_Chrome.jpg

Considering it's the same size as the Tremor tire, and also sold by Ford Performance I'd say it's a safe and logical assumption.

It is literally the largest tire size listed by Ford in any remotely official communication regarding the Ranger.
I would say those are but Iā€™m not sure if the the Ford tune will allow sizes over that. I didnā€™t try it.

Edit: Yes the tune says up to 265 70 17 tire size so I agree. You are correct.
Sponsored

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so the Ford performance pack paper work states warranty is covered with the package and tires up to 265 70 17 or equivalent based on the factory rim size you have.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
It's not about weight of the tires, but the additional rotational forces required to turn those tires,
as well as increased stress on suspension parts.
I get that, I'm asking how that's any different than if I towed 7500 pounds every single day. Unless I'm misinterpreting something here- if I had a bone stock version of my truck and towed 7000lbs every single day for 3 years straight and my diff exploded (provided im still under mileage/warranty restrictions obviously) that would be covered.

but driving the same mileage with a 33 and the same failure occurring (no trailer) wouldn't be covered? I'd argue towing the trailer has a much greater strain on the driveline of the truck than 40lbs total of tire.. that's what i'm looking for clarification on.

Edit: not being argumentative as I acknowledge the heavier wheel/tire combo definitely strains the truck more than if it was stock

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So a question Phil.

Does that stated PSI the same for all tire MFGā€™s given the same tire size is used?

in my case, I went from OEM Hanooks to BFG KO2ā€™s but same size.

thanks in advance
Hi John,

The stated PSI is for the tires as delivered from the Assembly Plant. For aftermarket the tire manufacturer usually have a matrix for suggested tire pressures which you may consult. There are some threads here that show how to use a chalk method for determining the best pressure

Knowing your individual wheel weights is of benefit too if you can find a scale capable of determining individual weights.

Best,
Phil

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hypothetical for you Phil- how could Ford deny a warranty claim on a differential for example, because I went to a 33" tire with a total increase in unsprung weight 10lbs/whl, when the truck is rated to tow (IE addtl unsprung weight...) 7500 lbs from the factory?

I guess what i'm asking is how is the larger tire any more wear and tear on the vehicle than if I maxed my truck out every day of its life, whether it's payload or towing?...

Edit: math.

stock sport tires 36 lbs + stock rims 27lbs = 63 lbs
wildpeaks 50lbs (p rated) + KMCs 23lbs = 73 lbs
Hi Matt,

I would take a dealer tech statement with a grain of salt...or more than likely a whole salt shaker. It would be up to Ford to make that determination, not a dealer tech. Also, I believe the Tech in question was not USA... Things may be different overseas...don't know..

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
ThatPRDude

ThatPRDude

First Name
Franco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
If they are denying warranty claims because of changing tire sizes, nobody around here should be getting warranty work done.
Hi Matt,

I would take a dealer tech statement with a grain of salt...or more than likely a whole salt shaker. It would be up to Ford to make that determination, not a dealer tech. Also, I believe the Tech in question was not USA... Things may be different overseas...don't know..

Best,
Phil
Puerto Rico, we get the US spec ranger.

I don't know how we are classified (Or divided) at the corporate level, but we are a territory of the United States.

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
Do you know how many miles that ranger has?

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
How big are his tires??

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Getting warranty work done is a hit or miss proposition. There are a lot of mechanics that dont like because the factory does not pay as much for warranty work. It also depends on your attitude and relationship with the service dept. when you bring it in. When you start modifying stuff, you take on some responsibility.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Getting warranty work done is a hit or miss proposition. There are a lot of mechanics that dont like because the factory does not pay as much for warranty work. It also depends on your attitude and relationship with the service dept. when you bring it in. When you start modifying stuff, you take on some responsibility.
Just want to clarify. You mean the dealership makes less money on warranty work, right?

Technicians don't get a differently hourly rate on warranty repairs do they?

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Warantee work pays less time to repair than non warantee work.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it depends on how you go abut it. I have a 6" lift and 33s. Truck was built by an upfitter and ordered through Ford. FMVSS compliant, full factory warranty covering all of it, financeable and insurable. Part of why I went this route.
Iā€™m glad that purchasing through an upfitter or whatever gives you a warm and fuzzy but folks need to understand that a truck like yours has precisely Zero additional coverage, or protection from Ford Corporate, when it comes to damage or perceived damage from mods.

You truck rolled out of the assembly plant outfitted just like any other Ranger within its trim level. Yours was not ā€œordered through Fordā€ it was ordered through some Ford dealer and up-fitted aftermarket. Not 1 ounce of difference, in relation to factory warranty coverage or lack of coverage, than an individual preforming the mods on their driveway or home shop.

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I don't remember the specifics of it, but I do remeber a section in my warranty addressing the lift, and it being fully covered, with the standard eclusions, of course...off roading, racing, etc.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I don't remember the specifics of it, but I do remeber a section in my warranty addressing the lift, and it being fully covered, with the standard eclusions, of course...off roading, racing, etc.
Love to see that in writing. 6ā€ lift is a lot, hard on driveline.

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Next time I'm at the bank, I'll try to remember to grab my docs from my safe deposit box. In the mean time, if you're interested in buying a lifted truck froma dealership, I would suggest checking with them. I would imagine when it comes to mods/custom orders, etc, every deal or dealership may vary in how they handle it.
Sponsored