LEMON ALERT!! 2019 Ford Ranger is unreliable and dangerous, and Ford Canada does not care.

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
The truck say for 68 days. My wife and I shared her vehicle.
Sponsored

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Ranger Pride I hope you are just being funny. It is not a joking matter when you spend $45K on something that is totally unreliable.

GrayGen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received Ranger September 19th. Hot Pepper Red Lariat 4x2. Locking rear axle 501 package Spray bedliner Bed extender & more
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
please keep us updated - we all know with any mass produced item there are gonna be some bad ones out there nothing is perfect. I do wish ford would be better about getting them fixed or diagnosed but dealers cannot do anything under warranty that ford won't authorize. after all this, you'd think they could offer you a REALLY REALLY good deal on a trade and take the thing apart fo figure out what when wrong it is probably some tiny little $4 electrical thingy that is causing all the problems the complexity of cars is getting insane. good luck!

OP
OP
LemonRanger1337

LemonRanger1337

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Semi retired
please keep us updated - we all know with any mass produced item there are gonna be some bad ones out there nothing is perfect. I do wish ford would be better about getting them fixed or diagnosed but dealers cannot do anything under warranty that ford won't authorize. after all this, you'd think they could offer you a REALLY REALLY good deal on a trade and take the thing apart fo figure out what when wrong it is probably some tiny little $4 electrical thingy that is causing all the problems the complexity of cars is getting insane. good luck!
Thanks man. Yes definitely plan on keeping everyone updated. Wether I get a trade, a new truck, buy back or the get to the bottom of it once and for all. Haven't posted an update yet as nothing new to report this week. Ford was able to replace the section of wiring harness and get my fuel tank/gauge working properly again. Still waiting on the faulty cameras to be replaced. I'm moving to another province tomorrow. So getting it on the open highways will be interesting to see how it performs at regular highway speeds. As well CAMVAP sent a letter to ford for me, and ford hasn't responded yet. So just waiting on that. Cheers!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
yeah good luck with this and hope your perseverance pays off , things like you are experiencing makes me appreciate some of the consumer protection laws we enjoy in the states.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I am really concerned about your corroded harness issue. It seems you have sort of run through some extended cold weather/snow exposure that most of us have not yet experienced.
I have seen both voltage spikes and poor grounds cause these type issues. Corrosion could definitely result in poor grounds. Digital equipment (and there are tons of them in new vehicles) nowadays require clean power and that means grounds must be the same for all components.

Back in 2000 I installed a turbo in my 1.6L Miata with a programmable after market ECU. I had all kinds of problems until I learned the lessons above... For instance, If I turned on my left turn signal or headlights my fuel mixture would slowly go rich until it began dumping so much fuel as to make the car un-driveable. The electrical demons were everywhere and almost impossible to track down, until I ran all grounds to a single point on the car. All ground where then at the same ground voltage - all common then... and all my problems magically cleared up.

Things have gotten a lot more complex since 2000, and the more complex the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up.

Someone mentioned a diode going out on the AC clutch... and that would do exactly what I am talking about - send a voltage spike across the entire electrical system scrambling each of the onboard digital computer systems.

My background is in digital computer systems and software design. And modern autos are nothing more than a score (20 or so, maybe more) of computers on wheels, and they are all communicating with each other. For instance, I doubt that you can replace the infotainment system in our Rangers without negatively impacting the entire truck.

Black box replacements are a thing of the past.

The nightmare our Canadian colleague is experiencing could easily happen to any of us with modern autos.

I have just replaced the entire drive train in my 2005 Ford Ranger 4x4 V6 4.0L OHC 6 Speed Auto Trannie... (due to the infamous Timing Chain death rattle)
  • Jasper Engine & Transmission (3 year 100K mile warranty - Parts AND Labor)
  • Lower Ball joints
  • Front Axles and Wheel Bearings
  • Brakes
  • AC Compressor
  • Shocks & Misc Suspension Parts
It was expensive, but worth every penny, The truck runs like the day I first purchased it and it is good for another 200K miles. The cost was 1/3rd of the price of the new Ranger.

I then went out and purchased my new 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport Model. I intend to own both for the next 15 to 20 years. I'll gradually shift over to the 2020 model but it will be a slow process. I purchased it now as I see where technology is going and I still want a semblance of control over the autos that I own.

There is much to be said for all the digital gee whiz stuff in the new Ranger, but the old Ranger has charm in its simplicity. I like it just as much as the new Ranger. Both have a place in my garage.

Best of luck to our Canadian Ranger owner!

-T

Rangers 2005 and 2020 .JPG

OP
OP
LemonRanger1337

LemonRanger1337

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Semi retired
I have seen both voltage spikes and poor grounds cause these type issues. Corrosion could definitely result in poor grounds. Digital equipment (and there are tons of them in new vehicles) nowadays require clean power and that means grounds must be the same for all components.

Back in 2000 I installed a turbo in my 1.6L Miata with a programmable after market ECU. I had all kinds of problems until I learned the lessons above... For instance, If I turned on my left turn signal or headlights my fuel mixture would slowly go rich until it began dumping so much fuel as to make the car un-driveable. The electrical demons were everywhere and almost impossible to track down, until I ran all grounds to a single point on the car. All ground where then at the same ground voltage - all common then... and all my problems magically cleared up.

Things have gotten a lot more complex since 2000, and the more complex the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up.

Someone mentioned a diode going out on the AC clutch... and that would do exactly what I am talking about - send a voltage spike across the entire electrical system scrambling each of the onboard digital computer systems.

My background is in digital computer systems and software design. And modern autos are nothing more than a score (20 or so, maybe more) of computers on wheels, and they are all communicating with each other. For instance, I doubt that you can replace the infotainment system in our Rangers without negatively impacting the entire truck.

Black box replacements are a thing of the past.

The nightmare our Canadian colleague is experiencing could easily happen to any of us with modern autos.

I have just replaced the entire drive train in my 2005 Ford Ranger 4x4 V6 4.0L OHC 6 Speed Auto Trannie... (due to the infamous Timing Chain death rattle)
  • Jasper Engine & Transmission (3 year 100K mile warranty - Parts AND Labor)
  • Lower Ball joints
  • Front Axles and Wheel Bearings
  • Brakes
  • AC Compressor
  • Shocks & Misc Suspension Parts
It was expensive, but worth every penny, The truck runs like the day I first purchased it and it is good for another 200K miles. The cost was 1/3rd of the price of the new Ranger.

I then went out and purchased my new 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport Model. I intend to own both for the next 15 to 20 years. I'll gradually shift over to the 2020 model but it will be a slow process. I purchased it now as I see where technology is going and I still want a semblance of control over the autos that I own.

There is much to be said for all the digital gee whiz stuff in the new Ranger, but the old Ranger has charm in its simplicity. I like it just as much as the new Ranger. Both have a place in my garage.

Best of luck to our Canadian Ranger owner!

-T

Rangers 2005 and 2020 .JPG
Holy heck that was in depth. Thank you very much for all the good information. Your knowledge and expertise is very much appreciated! Cheers!
Sponsored