Known Issues and Their Solutions for the 2019+ Ford Ranger

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
The vast majority of the Rangers on the road, were built BEFORE any overtime began. The recall you reference was to check the routing of the shift cable on the 1st approx 3k units, so nothing defective. ALL new models have some teething problems and the Ranger is no exception nor is it a problem either.
Will the 2020 be free from a long list?

No 2019 Ranger Raptor, but hints of a 2020 Ranger Raptor. If there will be a 2020 Ranger Raptor in US then I'll wait to order that.
Sponsored

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
The vast majority of the Rangers on the road, were built BEFORE any overtime began. The recall you reference was to check the routing of the shift cable on the 1st approx 3k units, so nothing defective. ALL new models have some teething problems and the Ranger is no exception nor is it a problem either.
A recall is a recall.
But there's also a laundry list of problems beyond this recall.
When I bought Tacoma I did so because I didn't want to keep bringing it back to dealer to have things fixed, I call it the "Hyundai" effect. Early Hyundai's came with a decent warranty but were always going back to get fixed. I want to avoid that hassle at all costs.

I also bought a new (ordered in 2016) 2017 MB GLC300, upon delivery the driver seat cooling fan cage was broken. They could not get the part from Germany, they had to replace the whole seat, and they took the seat from another vehicle that was in the US! Shortly after that a recall came out for a steering wheel wire not properly fastened which could cause the airbag to deploy. Needless to say I was not happy.

Ranger XLT (maybe a Lariat) is on my list, but still debating if I should wait to order a 2020 when available.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Yes a recall is a recall...

As a fleet manager in the previous job, I ordered over 400 GMC/CHEV work pickups and low and behold had 4 recalls from the factory that dealers had to take care of even before I could get them to the districts. I'm not upset w/ anything that has to be done or caught w/ a new model year vehicle. I'm loving my Ranger.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Yes a recall is a recall...

As a fleet manager in the previous job, I ordered over 400 GMC/CHEV work pickups and low and behold had 4 recalls from the factory that dealers had to take care of even before I could get them to the districts. I'm not upset w/ anything that has to be done or caught w/ a new model year vehicle. I'm loving my Ranger.
Agree.... A recall to check shift cable routing is not quite the same as Tacoma's being recalled to replace the frames for rust.....Just saying.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Agree.... A recall to check shift cable routing is not quite the same as Tacoma's being recalled to replace the frames for rust.....Just saying.
Uhmmm, Ford holds top 3 positions in biggest recalls in 2018, and in that top 10 it holds 4 positions! What the recalls were for is not a debate when you say "recalls". https://www.cars.com/articles/the-10-biggest-recalls-in-2018-1420756943863/

Anyways, I wasn't arguing about the recalls. I just don't want a vehicle that has to keep going back to be fixed. I am thinking I might just wait for the 2020 model. I suspect others are doing the same thing.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That Tacoma frame recall worked out real well for a lot of us out there ;)

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A poster from the Tacoma World forum replying to a quote from another poster there.

Already recalling 3500 ford rangers. Another reason to stick to tacos.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...nd-banking-woes-of-wells-fargo-202704318.html

Not this nonsense fanboy sh*t again. From someone who had a 2016 that fell under lemon law, I can assure you the 2016 Tacoma had plenty first year problems/recalls, CPS failure leaving people dead on the side of the road, low transmission fluid, leaking rear diffs and more.

Last edited:

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Shift cable? What are you talking about?

The recall was for faulty wiring.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26183115/2019-ford-ranger-recall-shifter/
That's what you get for believing CAR and Driver.........
The Problem: The shifter's bezel wiring may interfere with the shifter interlock override, preventing the shifter from locking in Park and allowing the driver to shift the transmission out of Park with the truck off and without a foot on the brake pedal, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford said it is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with the issue.

The Fix: Dealers will verify shifter interlock functionality by attempting to move the transmission shifter out of Park with the truck off and without a foot on the brake pedal. If the shifter moves out of Park, dealers will look for wiring interference, relocate the wiring and retest. All repairs will be done for

Akshon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Magnetic
I dont know if anyone has read this.
https://jalopnik.com/how-one-suv-fire-destroyed-45-million-in-cars-damaged-1826086012

But Ford is trying to keep their nose clean and get cars fixed in a timely manor.
Yes recalls are an inconvenience PITA and your without your vehicle for a bit. I’d rather get a recall notice in the mail then have it swept under the rug like GM did with all those ignition switch issues.

Most recalls are not even a mfg screw up (design flaw). They are a safety related issue with a part supplied by a 3rd party. Takata for example.

Whats funny is how far out of context, salt and peppered, and drama inserted BS some articles are. I was a member of the recall on the Fusion for the steering gear bolts. It had nothing to do with the “steering wheel falling off” as that top 10 recall article mentioned.

We all knew going into this that there would be teething issues. That should be expected with any new model lineup from any mfg. Even though these trucks have been around in other markets, they have plenty of differences here in NA.

Last edited:

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
That's what you get for believing CAR and Driver.........
The Problem: The shifter's bezel wiring may interfere with the shifter interlock override, preventing the shifter from locking in Park and allowing the driver to shift the transmission out of Park with the truck off and without a foot on the brake pedal, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford said it is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with the issue.

The Fix: Dealers will verify shifter interlock functionality by attempting to move the transmission shifter out of Park with the truck off and without a foot on the brake pedal. If the shifter moves out of Park, dealers will look for wiring interference, relocate the wiring and retest. All repairs will be done for
But you said "shift cable". What "shift cable", the interlock is all electronic? It's an electrical issue caused by "interference". Seems odd to me though, just relocate the wiring? Seems like the interference would be shorting a wire or perhaps not allowing a connector to click in fully?
http://www.campaign.ford.com/conten...s-recall-for-select-2019-ranger-vehicles.html

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
The article was a good read. Odd though, the disputes are all money grabs and pointing fingers of liability. That specific event seems to be a true accident, Mary didn't not get it fixed on purpose, she just didn't know (according to the reporting). Maybe boat car carriers need to check the VIN of every vehicle to see what recalls there are and if the specific vehicle has been fixed. That would be a pita, but would prevent this type of accident from happening again. The use of barcode stickers for a quik scan and recall/service lookup should make it less of a pita.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yea but you said, "When I bought Tacoma I did so because I didn't want to keep bringing it back to dealer to have things fixed". Has it ever been back? Is it one of the 44k 18/19 models being recalled to replace the MASTER CYLINDER, have you driven a ranger or even seen one? ANYTHING made by man can have a problem and if you believe otherwise, you are just..........

tumblr_npyadmN1gu1rsxqqio1_500.gif

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
I had a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 that I just sold 4 days ago. Not one issue needed fixing by dealer, and I did not have any other issues to deal with, it was a great truck. There was one recall for my VIN but it did not apply because I did not have the OEM part any longer.

It was just confusing you said "shift cable".
As for the 2019 laundry list of issues, is why I am waiting to order a 2020. My dealer sales guy said he thinks they'll be able to take orders in late June.

I wanted Lariat, but because the leather has no option for cooling seats, so XLT in fabric will probably be it.

For those with fabric seats, does a 4hr drive kill you? Is leather any better?

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 that I just sold 4 days ago. Not one issue needed fixing by dealer, and I did not have any other issues to deal with, it was a great truck. There was one recall for my VIN but it did not apply because I did not have the OEM part any longer.

It was just confusing you said "shift cable".
As for the 2019 laundry list of issues, is why I am waiting to order a 2020. My dealer sales guy said he thinks they'll be able to take orders in late June.

I wanted Lariat, but because the leather has no option for cooling seats, so XLT in fabric will probably be it.

For those with fabric seats, does a 4hr drive kill you? Is leather any better?
I've had many with leather but specifically wanted cloth in this one. Leather is just not as comfortable to me anymore. Seats appear very comfortable and adjusted position is comfortable. I'll know more about for the long ride next week, gonna make about a 1200 mile lap through Big Bend.
Sponsored