Offroad in a 4x2

LISANDRO

First Name
Lisandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Hey just got my ranger and kind of a dumb question. Can you go off roading not crazy dips or climbs more like just dirt and bumps in a 4x2 lifted with nitto terragrapplers size 20
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hey just got my ranger and kind of a dumb question. Can you go off roading not crazy dips or climbs more like just dirt and bumps in a 4x2 lifted with nitto terragrapplers size 20

You can probably do light offroading with the stock tires... With 20" tires on, you aren't going to have a lot of room to deflate them and gain traction, so sand and mud are going to be rough. With the stock tires, there will be more of a sidewall to let down and you will (probably) do better overall.

I had an '95 STX 4x4 that had broken front wheel drive, and it went places that it shouldn't have all the time.

Just my $.02

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Offroading is strictly the domain of aftermarket lifted trucks with mud terrain 33s! How dare you think otherwise!!!!

Okay I kid.

Seriously, it all depends on what you call offroading. I grew up in the northwest, and the stuff I drove through to get to my friends house was deep rutted, muddy in spots, 2 lane track in the backwoods. I drove a 2 wheel drive Toyota pickup out there all the time, but my mom wouldn't come down it in her Taurus even in the driest part of summer. I'd bet money you will be fine with "dirt and bumps" as long as you use logic. Honestly, I use 4 wheel drive more for snow back home than anything else.

Short answer: Use your brain and you should be fine.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I got the Locking Diff on my 4x2. It is a Sport Model so the tires are All Season Radials instead of Mud & Snow that coem on Off Road versions!

woody

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xl supercab 4 x 4 towed
I pulled the fishing boat out of the lake yesterday in 2 wd with the locker on and never spun a tire and this is on a good steep grass hill . did not need to put it in 4 x 4 and I have never pulled the boat out on a 2 wd truck or car before . always had to use 4 x 4 to get it out
I was impressed

dave

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We taught an advanced off-road course to Ford engineers. One of the last things in the class was to repeat in a 4x2 Ranger..most were amazed at the capability of the 4x2..much is driver technique.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired

BlueSport

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X2
Sure can ive been trailing 3 times already just got play it safe know what yu can handle

Resized_20190224_133856.jpeg

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
even a 4x2 with good AT tires is still a capable off roader. But haven't 20" wheels isn't idea; due to having less sidewall and the chances of scratching up your rims.
Sponsored