Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
Today I installed the PPE cast aluminum extended capacity transmission pan. Its a very nice high quality peice and I look forward to having the drain plug. I took my pneumatic brake bleeder and sucked out 5.75 ish quarts, then removed the stock pan. Ended up putting in a little under 8 quarts to get the dipstick back to the correct level. When i initially checked the dipstick it was at (3) when the engine was cold so i tried to fill it back to that exact spot. Also installed the B&M trans dipstick, woah are they proud of that at $200 for a couple fittings and a piece of hose. Made marks on the B&M dipstick with a knife to matchup the numbers (3), (4) and (5). I was surpised by how dark brown the ATF was after only 21k miles, so was glad to add the new fluid. I should have done the trans filter, but I didnt have one, ill install it around 40k or 50k miles.
IMG_8903.jpg
when you had the pan off what kind of filter does it have, a screen or a real filter?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Stock capacity for the ATF is 12.8 qts and only 5.8 came out? I wonder if there is a way to do a pseudo-flush at home.

I guess the B&M trans dipstick is needed too huh? Iirc the stock dipstick is underneath next to the downpipe or something.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
when you had the pan off what kind of filter does it have, a screen or a real filter?
It is a corrugated filter. Media much like a normal oil filter, but flat.
FT215-BAC__ra_p.jpg

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
what are the torque specs on the pan bolts? and what's the easy way to fill it back up?

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Very nice. While waiting for my truck I watched the video on how hard it was. They should have stated how thin the plastic was as a selling point.

johnboy13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ford Assembly Plant
Today I installed the PPE cast aluminum extended capacity transmission pan. Its a very nice high quality peice and I look forward to having the drain plug. I took my pneumatic brake bleeder and sucked out 5.75 ish quarts, then removed the stock pan. Ended up putting in a little under 8 quarts to get the dipstick back to the correct level. When i initially checked the dipstick it was at (3) when the engine was cold so i tried to fill it back to that exact spot. Also installed the B&M trans dipstick, woah are they proud of that at $200 for a couple fittings and a piece of hose. Made marks on the B&M dipstick with a knife to matchup the numbers (3), (4) and (5). I was surpised by how dark brown the ATF was after only 21k miles, so was glad to add the new fluid. I should have done the trans filter, but I didnt have one, ill install it around 40k or 50k miles.
IMG_8903.jpg
So I have a 2021 Ranger Tremor, I'm guessing it will be the same pan as you bought. I really don't want to have to buy the B&M dipstick. So a little under 8 quarts would you say would be around 7 and 3/4 would be what I need? And If I change the filter that filter would hold I'm guessing a quart. So many around 9 quarts with a new filter? What's your thoughts? Thanks

OP
OP
outdoorphotog

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
So I have a 2021 Ranger Tremor, I'm guessing it will be the same pan as you bought. I really don't want to have to buy the B&M dipstick. So a little under 8 quarts would you say would be around 7 and 3/4 would be what I need? And If I change the filter that filter would hold I'm guessing a quart. So many around 9 quarts with a new filter? What's your thoughts? Thanks
The only reason I would be cautious is what if my transmission and yours started off with a different fill level? You can use the little hand burner dipstick too

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
What I find annoying about the expensive B&M dipstick is that it doesn't even give you an E - F fluid level. Its up to you to scribe that on the thing yourself which means you have to check it first with the little hand burner dipstick.

johnboy13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ford Assembly Plant
I appreciate you getting back with me. Thank you

Old Red Replacement

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
Retired OTR Diver/Maintenance Mechanic
I have the PPE high capacity pan, filter, and ULV fluid not installed yet.,
use towing 4600 camper Fl flatlands +90F
2020 Ranger , 4wd XL

truck has 5600 miles on it 70% towing.

Comment and questions from anyone doing fluid, filter, and pan change.

1. Should I wait or change it before out camping starts , March/April?
2. did you reuse pan gasket, and transmission O ring seal?

3. I fave to do this on ground, ramps or jack stands for more room?

4. I have 12V fluid transfer pump, planning on draining pan before dropping.

5. You can see stupid( thanksFord) 19 mm cap on dipstick looking
down with flashlight. I plan on using socket and extension to loosen it, and check level with dipstick and long mechanics pickup tool. Fill from top with funnel and tubing.

6. Yes it’s $500 worth of pan , filter, and fluid, and doing it at all or
early is overkill, gasket for pan and filter is another $43

7. Our only vehicle, ocd & anxiety about this, but I’ mretired mechanic and truck Driver,lol?

8 . Also want transmission oil gauge with sensor in supplied 1/8 NPT plug in new pan $50-100

192EB86C-EAB8-43B3-AF5E-9F7638EC591E.jpeg

Last edited:

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
What I find annoying about the expensive B&M dipstick is that it doesn't even give you an E - F fluid level. Its up to you to scribe that on the thing yourself which means you have to check it first with the little hand burner dipstick.
You can make the marks while it is cold. No reason you have to do it hot. Measure the cold level, transfer it to the new dipstick, and then you can make marks from there by measuring with a pair of calipers or the like.

I find it more annoying that the thing is over $200. I'd be willing to spend $50-70 on one, but not what they're asking.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
This feels like a solution to a problem no one is reporting.
Sponsored