Remote oil filter and cooler setup

GrumpyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hey so our oil filters are a bitch to get to.... Anyone out there do a remote oil filter setup or filter n cooler setup yet???

I was thinking putting an adapter plate on the stock oil filter spot routing hoses to the lower grill n mount a small oil cooler and the oil filter somewhere between.

Any thoughts boys n gals
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hey so our oil filters are a bitch to get to.... Anyone out there do a remote oil filter setup or filter n cooler setup yet???

I was thinking putting an adapter plate on the stock oil filter spot routing hoses to the lower grill n mount a small oil cooler and the oil filter somewhere between.

Any thoughts boys n gals
If you can find room to do so go for it. Most on here have found if you turn the wheel all the way to the right you can change the filter without removing the tire. I have access to a lift so I remove the tires anyway since I do a rotate at the same time.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Any thoughts boys n gals
My thought:

The existing filter is not a bitch to get to. It's well designed, easy to access and the drip pan routes the oil away from crossmembers so the oil doesn't splash all over.

Looking forward though to seeing somebody do a better job than Ford already has done.

Good luck!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My thought:

The existing filter is not a bitch to get to. It's well designed, easy to access and the drip pan routes the oil away from crossmembers so the oil doesn't splash all over.

Looking forward though to seeing somebody do a better job than Ford already has done.

Good luck!
I completely agree. In my mind about the only way it oculd have been easier would have been to put a cartridge filter on top of the engine. I had one car that had that and it was by far the easiest filter change of any vehicle I've owned.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Most people wouldn't want an additional oil cooler. As it is, the engine has a pretty fat oil cooler (it's the reason the filter moved from the RS location) already. I sort of think that's why some people have such a bad fuel in oil problem, the fuel doesn't ever get hot enough during the average person's daily use to burn off the blow by fuel.

I tow with mine about 2-3 times a month, and a couple times a week I hold the skinny pedal all the say down when getting on the e-way, and 30K miles later I still haven't had an oil issue, it doesn't even really smell of fuel at all.

But I for sure would want a relocated filter.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management

Good luck!
Actually they have. My 2005 Tacoma (4.0 V6) had the best oil filter setup I've ever seen. The filter is on top of the engine, right in front of you when you open the hood. It is nestled in a funnel-like housing with a hose that routes below the vehicle near the driver's side front wheel.You just put your drain pan under the hose, loosen the filter and watch the magic. Oil changes can be done in 5 minutes with no mess. Too bad Toyota pooped the bed with the 3rd gen, they had some good ideas.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

Any thoughts boys n gals
The Ranger already has an oil cooler, it uses coolant to help warm the oil to operating temp faster then keep it from getting to hot.

The location of the filter is one of the easier I have had to get too. Get one of the oil filter sockets and a long extension and you don't even need to reach in to get it off or spin on a new one. The only way it could be easier is if it was mounted vertical at the rear of the pan like the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Mustang.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
If anyone has replaced the plastic shroud fasteners that cover the filter with something more simpler/easier to use I’d be curious of what you found.

I do agree the filter could be in a more convenient location like on top of the motor like Toy’s and BMW’s.

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone has replaced the plastic shroud fasteners that cover the filter with something more simpler/easier to use I’d be curious of what you found.

I do agree the filter could be in a more convenient location like on top of the motor like Toy’s and BMW’s.
I replaced the 4 that need to be removed for an oil change with the push type pins like these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-55176248 . You can find them at auto parts stores or lowes/home depot in the hardware section. The screw type ones suck because they almost never thread out the way they're supposed to. It also helps to have a trim removal tool as well. I use a tack puller to prevent damaging the pins with a screwdriver.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’ve done about 7-8 oil changes in my 2019. The clips to get to the oil filter are still original. They are busted to hell, but they still hold the flap in place for 7500 miles or so between changes. Half of them are missing the bottom half of the plug part, and precisely none of them still have a working screw mechanism. You can pick up fasteners like them at autozone or oreilly that have a tab on them that you can pull by hand, I’m just too lazy to mess with it yet.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I keep a kit like this in the garage for anytime I break or lose one. 240 pieces for $13 is a whole lot better than paying $3 or $4 a piece for them.

Screenshot_20211219-123245.png
Yep bought the same kit myself.

Added a Fumoco OIl valve too so I don't have to remove the skid plate.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Any thoughts boys n gals
After having changed my oil a zillion times, this is probably the easiest process of all the vehicles I've owned...trust me, you'll get used to it fast...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep bought the same kit myself.

Added a Fumoco OIl valve too so I don't have to remove the skid plate.
Futomo and extension hose makes all the difference...I also removed the forward fastener so I only have two to deal with...super easy oil change...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A filter cup wrench and an extension is good to have...hand tighten filter only and you won't have to curse when it comes time to remove it...
Sponsored