Remote oil filter and cooler setup

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
A filter cup wrench and an extension is good to have...hand tighten filter only and you won't have to curse when it comes time to remove it...
Yep first one felt like it was impacted on after that it was easy. Remember the fear-mongering "yOu HaVe To tAke tHe wHeeL oFF!" articles before the Ranger came to the states? Stupid journos.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yep first one felt like it was impacted on after that it was easy. Remember the fear-mongering "yOu HaVe To tAke tHe wHeeL oFF!" articles before the Ranger came to the states? Stupid journos.
I remember looking here before my first oil change and though OMG, what have I myself into? LOL...now it's almost relaxing therapy...I turn on something Youtube in my garage, kick wife's truck out so I can have the entire double space, lay down a moving rug + drain, grab a beer and go to work... ?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I remember looking here before my first oil change and though OMG, what have I myself into? LOL...now it's almost relaxing therapy...I turn on something Youtube in my garage, kick wife's truck out so I can have the entire double space, lay down a moving rug + drain, grab a beer and go to work... ?
Working on trucks is great, once I get my lift I won't even need ramps to get to the drain.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
The first change will be tough since they hire two silverback gorillas to do the initial oil filter install at the factory.
Remember, hand tight and a 1/4 turn and no more.
I've been changing oil for like 16 years, this won't be my first rodeo.

Luckily I do have a 1/2" drive for bustin it loose.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I do agree the filter could be in a more convenient location like on top of the motor like Toy’s and BMW’s.
And the 2012+ Jeep Pentastar. Right on top and with the tall suspension, don't even have to jack it up to drain the oil. :like:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I remember looking here before my first oil change and though OMG, what have I myself into? LOL...now it's almost relaxing therapy...

I turn on something Youtube in my garage, kick wife's truck out so I can have the entire double space, lay down a moving rug + drain, grab a beer and go to work... ?
Let me guess...Dr Hannah, am I right? :lipssealed: ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Chris073

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Chemist
If anyone has replaced the plastic shroud fasteners that cover the filter with something more simpler/easier to use I’d be curious of what you found.

I do agree the filter could be in a more convenient location like on top of the motor like Toy’s and BMW’s.
I replaced the plastic screw-tabs with magnets.

pixlr_20211218230741518.jpg

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired

Chris073

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Chemist

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
My thought:

The existing filter is not a bitch to get to. It's well designed, easy to access and the drip pan routes the oil away from crossmembers so the oil doesn't splash all over.

Looking forward though to seeing somebody do a better job than Ford already has done.

Good luck!
Not even close to the easiest oil change. Ford has done better than this on other Ford products... the edge Sport that I replaced with the Ranger, didn't even need a single tool to do an oil change. Filter on top of engine and thumb screw on pan. My Audi, same way.

My first change was probably the messiest oil change in recent history. The oil "funnel" thing directed the oil directly onto the drive shaft and frame rail and about two feet behind the pan place under the filter. Not sure it's all in their right, so might not be a design thing.... the oil also shot out of the drain hole and hit the frame ...splashing onto the passenger wheel/tire...freakin mess...also first time I had to buy a new tool for an oil change in like 25 year too.

The fender shield is really NOT the problem as it is actually quite simple if ya don't gorilla grip the fasteners...

Still love the truck though. Just an oil change.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I replaced the plastic screw-tabs with magnets.

pixlr_20211218230741518.jpg
My tires have been rubbing somewhere, somehow. Couldn't figure out where. Finally tonight I see this piece on the Driver Side is lose and ripped up and getting into the wheel. Gotta get it fixed.
Sponsored