If you’re gonna be dumb…

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Being a truck driver, I've seen a lot of stuff fall on to the road. Ladders, pallets, chairs, recliners, gas cans, even a bath tub!!

Had it happen on the highway, an accident would have occurred. That or someone's car would be damaged.

Never place anything in the truck bed that's going to move around. Even if the tailgate is secured. Place them in a bigger box or container that won't tip over. Especially gas cans. When it's empty, it'll move around with ease.

And never...... NEVER carry a full can of gasoline inside the cab. The fumes will make you pass out and serious consequences may occur.
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Your post just has me a little more anxious, as I worried the same thing might happen with my setup; the Diamondback SE cover creates such an airtight seal, that when I close the tailgate, if I don't give a good shove/slam to ensure the latch connects, the air cushion created by the seal can actually prevent it from fully latching.

And I haven't even completed my weather sealing yet; I have more for the sides of the tailgate. So the situation may only get more interesting....

Will just have to get in the habit of slamming the tailgate closed every time to be sure I guess...
April Fool's post or have you been drinking this morning, lol?

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
April Fool's post or have you been drinking this morning, lol?
No, I'm actually dead serious. Between the cover gasket sealing around the front and sides of the bed so well, and the gasket that the top of the tailgate encounters when I close the tailgate, you can't baby it when you close it, or it won't fully latch. I only discovered it when my wife went to close it for her first time, and I noticed the tailgate wasn't fully closed.

The drinking will start shortly though, if I can get my work stuff done soon. LOL.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
No, I'm actually dead serious. Between the cover gasket sealing around the front and sides of the bed so well, and the gasket that the top of the tailgate encounters when I close the tailgate, you can't baby it when you close it, or it won't fully latch. I only discovered it when my wife went to close it for her first time, and I noticed the tailgate wasn't fully closed.

The drinking will start shortly though, if I can get my work stuff done soon. LOL.
There are bed drain holes, and extra bolt accessory holes on the sides of the box. Also if I recall correctly the joint where the lift covers meet the center support doesn't have gaskets.

I believe you are feeling friction from the rubber seals, not resistance from air compression or vacuum. Maybe, but I am skeptical.

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 F150 Lariat, '21 BS BL, '18 GC, '74 Ghia
Occupation
Chair Warmer
Yeah, I don’t know if it was me or it popped open spontaneously.
[Thinking aloud: Hoping it wasn't a faulty tailgate damper.]

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
There are bed drain holes, and extra bolt accessory holes on the sides of the box. Also if I recall correctly the joint where the lift covers meet the center support doesn't have gaskets.

I believe you are feeling friction from the rubber seals, not resistance from air compression or vacuum. Maybe, but I am skeptical.
Sure, maybe. Whatever it is, my point is that you have to close the tailgate with authority on my setup, otherwise the concern that it will become unlatched while driving and lose items from the bed becomes a very real possibility.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I still have my older pre-flame arrestor gas cans - but I avoid pouring gasoline on open fires.

Anyone remember the demise of the Blitz CO ? Lawyers had a field day with this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/...ctory-the-two-sides-of-product-liability.html
i had lots of blitz stuff years ago, seemed like good stuff. covered in dust i have a couple of those old road flasher things they used to put out for construction. they look small driving by. up close they are pretty chunky. takes two lantern batteries.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im not sure on the new rangers but, on my 05 when i close the tail gate i learned to give it an extra shove and listen for the "clicks" to tell me its secure. I bet you closed it but did not close it hard enough. ive done that a couple times. had the tail gate flop down while driving. thought i ran over something lol.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
My favorite was 25 years ago in the late 90's. customer was driving a 1960 or 70 something telephone repair truck on its third engine. They walked into the distributor I was working for ordered a coil of MC cable and a couple boxes of misc parts. Tossed said parts and coil unto the roof rack and drove off.

About 40 minutes later our truck driver come back to the shop laughing and pulls that same coil of MC cable and same boxes out and stating he was following them down the interstate and saw it slide off the truck. he stopped picked them up, finished his delivery and came back.

About 30-40 minutes later (so an hour and change from last visit) that customer walks back in and sheepishly asks for the same order. The entire counter looks at him, laughs and we bring out those parts that dropped.

Some jokes write themselves.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
The downside of the tailgate damper. If no damper, you'd have heard the boom.
Sorry Dave... Maybe you guys can develop a warning light kit to go with the damper.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The downside of the tailgate damper. If no damper, you'd have heard the boom.
Sorry Dave... Maybe you guys can develop a warning light kit to go with the damper.
IIRC I think Doc is damper-less. But that's a good idea Dave and might be a good selling point. lol

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
Public property yo.

Falls out of the vehicle, it's fair game.
So you’d think… I came upon a bunch of Milwaukee tools that fell out of the bed of a pickup with an open tailgate and good old “One-key” got me arrested… “theft of lost, abandoned or mislaid property”

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
So you’d think… I came upon a bunch of Milwaukee tools that fell out of the bed of a pickup with an open tailgate and good old “One-key” got me arrested… “theft of lost, abandoned or mislaid property”
Jersey... You didn't give the mob their cut...

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
I’m guessing the proper ( and legal) thing to do is bring it to the local police station and if no one claims it within x amount of days it can become yours.. my dad found 700 something dollars in a bag on the lawn of a customers property he was working on once and the homeowner had no idea where it came from so he brought it to the P.S. and after x amount of days no one claimed it and he was allowed to keep it